Hormel Reviews

Updated 20 August 2014

3.7

Hormel Chairman, President, and CEO Jeffrey M. Ettinger
Jeffrey M. Ettinger

Pros
  • Good benefits and bonus structure for salaried employees (in 11 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits for salaried employees, but you will work so many hours you won't get to enjoy your money (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is tough prior to reaching a certain career level for production (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours with little concern for work, life balance (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Its all about politics in the IT dpt they dont promote within.

I have been working at Hormel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay is on par with other companies.

Cons

The corperate politics are BAD in this company. They fabricate job descriptions for people or have the person picked out before they even list the job posting.
    It is either you have to know someone or get lucky.
    If you are a part time employee you might have to quit and return as an intern before you get full time.

The worst part is I am not the only one that this has happened to. It is happening to people that have been full time within the company for over 5 years.

Promote within before hiriing interns.
    Give your senior employees with over 5 years within the company the job and not employees that have been full time for 1 year or less..

Excellent benefits, average pay, minimal work, "good ol' boy" atmosphere.

Current Employee - Maintenance, Non-Specific
    Current Employee - Maintenance, Non-Specific

I have been working at Hormel full-time for more than a year

Pros

I work at a local level, a sort of bast(ard) child between Hormel and one of it's wholly owed subsidiaries. I am paid by the subsidiary but have all the benefits of being a Hormel employee (insurance, pension, profit sharing, 401K.) That being said, I'm given a lot of freedom to pursue my own personal goals at work. If you want to learn a skill, industry, or improve yourself, you are given the resources and space to do so. Hormel is not a golden goose, but if you're reasonable about your expectations (you're not going to change the world, you're not going to revolutionize an industry, you're just going to show up, do your job), you stay positive, and you use your time wisely, you will do well with this company. Let's face it, every job is a contract; you agree to perform at a certain level for a price. Hormel is more than reasonable in this sense.

Cons

Hormel is based on the "Good ol' boy system." By that I mean if you stick with the company and are loyal and tow the line, you will succeed. It's not uncommon to see someone "high up" retiring with 30 years on the job nor is it uncommon to see someone with no real skills advancing to a position of power. The Peter Principle is in full swing here. That being said, if you're not a true blue believer, too bad. Find somewhere else and do it quick because if you turn in your two weeks, consider them walking papers.

Hormel is a very progressive company that stresses socially progressive themes over profits. One could argue that socially progressive themes encourage profits, but that would be more propaganda. They have a committee for every minority group; black, Asian, Latino, woman, LGBT. This does nothing for their company except waste the time of supervisors and encourage the hiring of those who are completely inept but qualify based on political factors. I'm not talking politics in terms of Republican or Democrat, but politics in the same sense of their "Good Ol' Boy" system. There was an article in their newsletter written by an openly gay man that's main message was that he was proud that Hormel was proud of his sexual orientation. I don't care what you do in your free time. It's your business. Hormel is different. They will congratulate and more importantly hire/promote someone based on their ethnicity or sexuality or sexual preference so long as that person is not white, male or straight. That's not to say that a gay, black woman is more likely to receive a promotion (so far as I know) but it is to say that they make a point of advertising that they are more than accepting of such individuals (in their minds, I personally feel that bringing sexuality and race into the workplace as a factor is discriminatory regardless of who is hired as a result.)

That being said, Hormel is a wildly successful company. This is despite their progressive agenda. My experience has taught me that success has it's roots at the lowest levels. The mechanics are who truly keep Hormel successful. It's not uncommon to see a 30 year old piece of industrial equipment at work and relied upon daily in a Hormel subsidiary. Maintenance is directly responsible for this, despite being charged for countless downtime, often because of poor planning or operation error. At the end of the day management (which is 100% true Hormel) makes all the decisions and production is at the helm. It's as if production owns the car, doesn't take the time to take it to the shop and then blames the mechanic for down time. All the machines are well beyond their expected life but management always blames maintenance for breakdowns. A perfect analogy is you drive a car with 300k miles on it and never have changed the oil or done a brake job but charge your mechanic every time it breaks. In the real world he'd kick your worthless butt to the curb and let you have what you deserve. At Hormel you'll get a badge of honor for being an idiot and neglecting your equipment to work an extra day. Production has all the say.

If I could change anything about Hormel I would re-evaluate ownership/accountability and I would improve communication. Union people have little to no knowledge of what is going on at a plant level despite being the people that are most closely connected to the day to day. The maintenance supervisors are on such a schedule that encourages them to not care about the plant as a whole. They are constantly being shuffled around the plant; shifts and departments. Combine that with the lack of control (since production has the final say) and the 4 on 4 off schedule that requires them to supervise a different group of guys (whom are on an even more messed up schedule) every cycle and you have a recipe for disaster. If Hormel were smart they'd thank the low men/women for keeping the business alive despite the poor decisions that are made on a daily basis

Great Company, for coming out of college

Current Employee - Territory Manager  in  Charleston, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Charleston, SC (US)

I have been working at Hormel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive Salary
    Cares about employees
    Sales Force Gets Company Cars
    Uncapped Bonus Structure
    A lot of advancement opportunities
    Best Training Program
    Hardworking upper management
    Solid Work-Life Balance

Cons

Lean Company so you do a lot of unnecessary work that you do not feel compensated for
    Not a lot of position in upper management
    Merit based raises are terrible, the money is in being promoted

Management is solid

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hormel was the first place I worked after college. It was a great start to my career.

I worked at Hormel

Pros

The company has solid financials and will be in business forever. They are very loyal to their employees.

Cons

If working in the processing plants, you must be able to enjoy the "environment" and working conditions. Let's just say meat processing isn't for the faint of heart.

Be aware that many people today don't plan, or enjoy, uprooting their families to relocate to another location just to move up in the company.

I enjoyed my position as a sales representative for Hormel. They take care of their people and the training is excellent

Current Employee - Food Service Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Food Service Sales Representative

I have been working at Hormel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great sales training, you work for a known company in the industry, great bonus structure, they hire great people.

Cons

Food industry is very competitve and margins are slim. Working in this industry will not make you millions at this level.

Great, growing company to work for!

Current Employee - Intern  in  Austin, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in Austin, MN (US)

I have been working at Hormel part-time for less than a year

Pros

Access to Upper Level Management
    Great People
    Conservative Culture
    Hands on Experience
    Great Benefits
    Competitive Salary
    Many Opportunities available
    Promote from within culture
    They really care about their employees

Cons

Technology is Out of date
    Corporate Location

Technology needs to update

Production Supervisor

Former Employee - Hormel Supervisor  in  Austin, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Hormel Supervisor in Austin, MN (US)

I worked at Hormel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Keep showing up and you have a job for life that pays better than a "greeter" at Walmart.

Cons

Fancy yourself a shooting star? Motivated by career advancement? Love state-of-the-art equipment? At Hormel your annual review is rated as follows: 2B;3- (your a day one employee or you just don't have a clue). 3 (way to go your a C student). 3+ (you must be a genius private pile), 4,5 ratings aren't available unless your the CEO's kid. Top performing level 12 supervisors with a 3+ rating might earn $500 more in the form of a bonus than a 3- rated, foaming at the mouth, brain dead supervisor. You'll watch failed upper management get demoted into lead supervisor positions so they can reach retirement. Count on extremely long nights with junk equipment and forget about day shift work for a very, very long time... In summary falling star, career stagnation, broken down train-wreck equipment is what you need to want for success.

Pay your supervisors a good hourly wage. Take even $60,000 / (52 weeks x 70hrs per) = $16.48/hr before taxes..... These guys/girls are generally getting paid a dollar or two an hour more than the union of complainers and crybabies that work for them. The future leaders of your company supposedly come from these ranks... Those are some cheap ranks.....

Overall pleasurable experience

I worked at Hormel

Pros

values, products, opportunity for growth

Cons

technology, location of corporate office

A solid place to start

Current Employee - Maintenance Engineer  in  Rochelle, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Maintenance Engineer in Rochelle, IL (US)

I have been working at Hormel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent benefits with a very conservative company. Lots of responsibility right out of college.

Cons

For a technical person the attitude is still that of an old meat cutting plant.

phone

Former Employee - Administrative/Inside Sales  in  Bethlehem, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative/Inside Sales in Bethlehem, PA (US)

I worked at Hormel full-time for less than a year

Pros

great sales job postion for entry level

Cons

none yet because i have to see if i got any offers

Worked for Hormel? Contribute to the Community!