Hot Topic

Updated 18 December 2014
3.2

Hot Topic CEO & Director Lisa Harper
Lisa Harper

Pros
  • Almost no rules for dress code, you can be as different as you want to be (in 52 reviews)

• Freedom to be yourself, no dress code, decent music (at times) (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management really has no clue what it is like day to day in an actual store (in 24 reviews)

• Lack of hours for sales associates (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Hours only during the holidays

Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Roseville, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Roseville, MI (US)

I worked at Hot Topic

Pros

Great work atmosphere, great work goals and incentive programs. Fun ways to earn skullys and become employee of the month. Great communication and guidelines in the company, there are little to no grey areas in training and plans for the store layout.

Cons

Difficult to advance in the company. They dont care about education, only work background. Hours not during the holiday suck- your paychecks will be $40 or less.

remember to give employees their breaks and positive reinforcement for great sales, or following merchandising guidelines.
    when calling employees to not come in for their shift because the store is doing well, call with more than an hours notice.

Excellent place to work

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Hot Topic

Pros

They're very flexible, open minded people.

Cons

Not enough hours available. It felt short staffed at times.

Anonymous

I have been working at Hot Topic

Pros

Great Team and embrace Family despite being competitive

Cons

none. It is an awesome place to work

Wouldn't Trade My Experience...

Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Atmosphere is great. If you are passionate about the company and you work hard, there are opportunities for advancement. I worked here 5 years, starting as a seasonal sales associate and made my way up to Assistant Manager. Great job for high school / college students, but could very well become a career for some. Coworkers ruled, felt like a family. Holiday bonuses possible, concert ticket reimbursement available, and a VERY good associate discount (40%, often times ON TOP of promotions or clearance pricing). I got all my clothing here!!! Very lax dress code, and obviously body modifications are acceptable. AWESOME merchandise, always something new and cool to merchandise and talk about with excited customers. Encouraged to be yourself, express individuality, and be creative in your work. Fun customers (for the most part) and upbeat atmosphere. Sales goals weren't unreachable, and were overall realistic and doable if your team is all on board. Although I did not qualify for benefits, I heard they were great. Sick / Vacation time was also available to full time employees.

Cons

They make up for poor pay rates with the great associate discount. I would have loved to stay, but I needed to make more to support myself. Not always practical for someone relying on this job to fully support themselves. Customers could sometimes be a little crazy (think grandmas showing you their nipple rings), but hey, it is to be expected for the most part and was often kind of entertaining. Sometimes there were not enough hours to get all tasks done to perfection.

For many, Hot Topic is a potential life long career and employees usually do have a great passion for their work and the HT culture. Consider this when looking at compensation. Like myself, I am sure many dedicated and knowledgeable employees would love to continue working here, but had to sacrifice an awesome job for better pay somewhere else.

Fun place to work

Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good music,keep you in the loop of up and coming trends. Awesome co-workers. Good pt/high school job

Cons

Schedules all over the place. No real full time unless key holder/managememt

Roller coaster if you like that...

Former Employee - IT Department in City of Industry, CA (US)
    Former Employee - IT Department in City of Industry, CA (US)

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people you work with were friendly. The culture, dress code and open environment was nice. Employee discount was good if you shop a lot @ hot topic or torrid. Cafeteria and gym in the office was also nice.

Cons

Lack of management leadership. They don't understand all the responsibilities of your job to plan accordingly or effectively manage a team to the promise land. Management always compare to their past job at another retail company. Which is poor management to begin with. Likely is no two companies will ever have the same network setup, software being used by the company or policies and procedures exactly the same way. So stop comparing. They did it so often and burned employees with too much work. Eventually all the long time employees have been slowly leaving the company for a better work environment.

I don't know about this place but they have too many IT directors and VP's in the office. It's an overkill. Yet if you look at some departments, it's understaffed and they still expect top results.

Great company, horrible pay

I have been working at Hot Topic

Pros

great environment to work in, interesting customer base, great employee discount

Cons

excessively low pay, many in upper management are stuck in the past, not accepting of new trends even though they claim to be "cutting edge"

Employee discounts dont pay bills. If you want to keep a respectable management staff don't refuse to pay anyone.

couldve been better

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Grapevine, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Grapevine, TX (US)

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

you get a good discount

Cons

no hours, bad management, no training

give more hours

Best place ever

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everything. Loved working for the company

Cons

Nothing it was the best time of my life

Great company, you'll have a great experience if you're set up for success

Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time

Pros

Amazing training, pay, benefits, discount, and culture. Loved the quirkiness, and you're encouraged to express your personal style and be an individual. Favorite benefit was concert reimbursement! This company is all about discovering the next big thing.

Cons

It's a hit or miss...if you have a knowledgeable and driven store manager, you'll be set, if your store manager doesn't have all their ducks in a row, you're screwed.

Be realistic, empathetic, and passionate. Remember that you're nothing without your team, work through your people.

Hot Topic Photos