Hot Topic

Hot Topic Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Hot Topic CEO & Director Lisa Harper

Lisa Harper

Pros
  • Good employee discount, Somewhat flexible with schedule changes, dress code(in 43 reviews)

• Freedom to be yourself, no dress code, decent music (at times)(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management really has no clue what it is like day to day in an actual store(in 20 reviews)

• Lack of hours for sales associates but NO time off for management(in 15 reviews)

Wonderful Experience!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe team environment. Everyone working for the same goal across the entire company! Supportive HQ Team, Regional Directors, and District Managers. This company is filled with strong mentors that will help move you on your path!

ConsTypical retail cons. Holidays are tough to spend time with family.

Great place to be yourself and develop experience

Store Manager (Current Employee) Kahului, HI (US)

ProsBenefits, fun product, great atmosphere, great co-workers, customer base, vacation and sick time, easy transfer process, development plans.

ConsNot enough hours, work load is never balanced, compensation is minimal, salary pay employees on the sales floor is rare, district managers need to spend more time on the sales floor and learn more about the product we sell and customer base, more positive recognition to teams exceeding sales plan and other goals etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation, recognition, lead by example, help set up stores for success, more hours, more communication between stores in district.

Great place to gain job experience. They are a great place to work while going to school.

Prosmost management is consistent on giving you the tools to succeed. takes are clearly defined. A very fun work environment. It is very easy to move up. This was my first job and within 6 months I was management.

ConsHours are inconsistent. We are usually not fully staffed due to it being hard to find employees that fit the criteria. Management is not paid as well as other retail companies in the mall. Hours are stretched thin so it is stressful to get tasking and sales goals completed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

fun job, not awesome pay

Part Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Brockton, MA (US)

Prosfun atmosphere, employee discounted merchandise, great experience

Conspay was low for full time position (full time hours, classified part time). Semi juvenile management team at the store and district level

This job was a lot of fun and it was a great learning experience for me.

Full Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Wayne, NJ (US)

ProsAtmosphere & Environment, Flexibility, Creativity, Growth

ConsTypical Retail Stress, Very Exclusive Culture, Low salaries, Low Raises, Many times there are limited hours and so many people on staff that part-time employees barely get any hours.. many times as little as 4 hours per week

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be beneficial to pay a livable wage in order to hold on to valuable employees and to raise morale. I feel that this company relies heavily on it's fun culture and environment in order to pay a lower wage. In some cases, it is known that many of the employees have a difficult time getting a job in a "typical" atmosphere due to their somewhat different/"out of the norm" appearances; so many times, the company offers an extremely low wage/low raises because they feel that employees have few other options in the business world.
     It is also important to refrain from judging others so much. It seems that management sometimes goes out of its way to select employees that foster a very specific culture, so many people are excluded from the "counterculture" that the company is trying to include.

Wonderful!

Hot Topic Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThis is a great company to work for. Great benefits, low turnover, super relaxed management, like working with a bunch of your friends.

ConsNot great pay. But it's really hard to find a retail job that is this enjoyable which is why I'm sure many of us stick around.

Advice to Senior ManagementRid yourselves of three hour shifts- waste of time if you have any sort of commute. More opportunities for raises.

Work is fun

Hot Topic Sales Associate (Current Employee) Montgomery, AL (US)

ProsYour coworkers are generally great people. It's a pretty laidback environment where everybody is acceptable.

ConsNot very great hours and sometimes there is a lot of organizational work to do.

Fun atmosphere

FT Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsYour associates are generally super excited to work for you and help you achieve your store goals due to their enthusiasm for the brand.

ConsUpper management completely out of touch with store operations and how it really is.

Good for only a stepping stone

Store Manager (Former Employee)

Prosrelaxed environment, interesting customers, easy hours

Constoo relaxed to where when you need something done it doesn't happen with corporate. The pay is terrible I had assistant managers making less than keyholders at other companies with the same volume and they had years of experience before taking the job. and the store manager pay is laughable at best

Advice to Senior ManagementPay accordingly to good people otherwise they wont want to stay. Listen to your teams with what is selling and what isnt and dont over buy too much of one type of item buyers when we have a few items that sell well dont order us enough of 50 styles to fill a 1/4 of my store with it so it then just sits there

Have fun working retail! (really)

Part Time Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsDedicated employees and management make for a great team to work with. "Open door policy" helps communication with all positions. Most considerate higher-ups I have ever worked with have been at Hot Topic. You can get excited about cool products, awesome customers (usually), great place to start out working with.

ConsLow start pay for management promotions unless hired outside company.

Advice to Senior ManagementA few instances where favoritism came into play, but work ethic almost always will guarantee your success within the company!

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!