Hot Topic

Updated 17 November 2014
3.2

Hot Topic CEO & Director Lisa Harper
Lisa Harper

Pros
  • Almost no rules for dress code, you can be as different as you want to be (in 51 reviews)

• Freedom to be yourself, no dress code, decent music (at times) (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management really has no clue what it is like day to day in an actual store (in 23 reviews)

• Lack of hours for sales associates (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Best place ever

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everything. Loved working for the company

Cons

Nothing it was the best time of my life

Great company, you'll have a great experience if you're set up for success

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time

Pros

Amazing training, pay, benefits, discount, and culture. Loved the quirkiness, and you're encouraged to express your personal style and be an individual. Favorite benefit was concert reimbursement! This company is all about discovering the next big thing.

Cons

It's a hit or miss...if you have a knowledgeable and driven store manager, you'll be set, if your store manager doesn't have all their ducks in a row, you're screwed.

Be realistic, empathetic, and passionate. Remember that you're nothing without your team, work through your people.

Love working for Hot Topic

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

FT benefits (our insurance is so cheap compared to everyone else I know, & it's great insurance).

Decent pay. Hourly employees.

Fun environment & great work family.

Wear what you like, be weird, have visible tattoos & piercings.

Listen to great music most of the day.

Mostly awesome customer base.

Cons

Hours!!! We get very little payroll to work with & that puts more stress on the whole team to be ultra superheroes every minute if the job.

At times, hq puts completely unrealistic goals on the store teams, again, with no payroll to accomplish these tasks.

You do get the really weird, totally out there customers that think because you're a little strange, they can tell you all their kinky weird stuff.

Pay is okay. Again, the benefits & the discount help keep employees around for the lower pay scale.

Spend more on payroll & give your teams better pay for all the hard work they do!

Upper tier management can be hit or miss depending on how your district is performing

Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great store teams, great benefits, usually a very fun job, and the customers can be amazing as well. For my first few years I loved it.

Cons

Management positions can be too much about the numbers, even when your mall has no traffic. Very terrible to work in with the wrong upper management.

Chill out, you are not paying your employees enough for them to worry about your numbers as much as you want them to. Get a new computer system.

I loved HT & the culture, appreciated my job, the opportunity & the people...

Former Employee - No Title in City of Industry, CA (US)
    Former Employee - No Title in City of Industry, CA (US)

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This was an opportunity I had waited for since graduating from college & when it finally happened I was grateful. The people for the most part are amazing, the diversity, opportunity to learn across many departments is welcomed & the culture was the best part because individuality, being yourself & no executive structure made everyone feel like part of one big team.

Cons

I feel like people in management or "executive" positions base a lot of decisions on how well you are liked as a person by themselves or others in similar positions rather than the actual job being done. They want you to grow within the company but if personalities clash without disrespect because you're doing too well or you don't agree with their way of thinking it becomes an HR issue. If a fellow teammate doesn't like your opinions or thinks their way is better & you state otherwise it feels almost like being tattled on to the teacher then you are sent to the principals office for a write up based on someone's feelings getting hurt. Not everyone is going to see things the same way & that should be a good thing but it starts to feel like you have to kiss people's behinds & keep your mouth shut if you don't want the be the topic of discussion & rumors.

People who kiss up & talk the talk but don't walk the walk & use others as their scapegoats shouldn't be the people given any type of power to decide other people's dates within the company. I think loyalty is great & appreciate that it is valued but someone being liked shouldn't be more important then someone doing their job well. I know being a team is what it's all about but there are people in the company who spend a lot more time delegating tasks that as a manager they should be able to handle themselves but cannot should take the time to learn how to contribute or help out instead of pointing fingers when something is done incorrectly & they can't tell you why. They then take credit for the work that's done right & only remember your mistakes. I was not fired or let go I just learned to keep my mouth shut about the "favorites" because I didn't want to be written up for it again.

It's ok, for High School

Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Grapevine, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Grapevine, TX (US)

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

We get an awesome discount, have an easy to use computer system for checking out, relatively easy job. Fun if your the type to follow the HTEX anyway. Short shifts, I liked my managers, no uniform, could dress the way I normally dress. Relaxed when the store wasn't busy.

Cons

Minimum Wage - I understand that this isn't the highest grossing company, but paying more employees than you need minimum wage at 4 hour shifts, is the reason I did not stay around long. I think companies are much better off having fewer employees paying them more, and expecting more out of them than hiring 15+ some odd high school and college kids. Maybe there is a reason to this madness, but for me and many people, getting one four shift a week at 7.25$ just wasn't going to cut it.

I already mentioned this above - pay us more, give us more hours, hire serious people and not more people than you need. My rating is not that the store management is bad, it's based on longevity of the job.

Really fun, but not for the unsteady hours.

I worked at Hot Topic

Pros

You're usually working with awesome people, and the people who walk in like all the stuff you do so it's easy to help them and make conversation.

Cons

It could have just been at my location, but the hours were terrible. I was the only sales associate and there were 3 managers, i would go from 18 hours a week to 2. Barely made minimum wage.

Miss the atmosphere

Former Employee - FT Assistant Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - FT Assistant Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, open dress code, great discounts, fun coworkers, listening and learning about music every day with customers and coworkers alike

Cons

Long floorset hours, not enough pay for amount of work asked, full time management does most of the work, short breaks

Remember the importance of work life balance.

good

Former Employee - Store Manager in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

awesome place to work for in the retail community.

Cons

low hours for employees and a lot to accomplish.

develop and grow managers

Fun and Fast Paced Career

Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pro's working for Hot Topic are, the customers are amazing. People come into he store just because we have given them such good customer service. you create friend with customers and co-workers alike. Another pro is the company has great benefits for full-time employees.

Cons

The company has lost its focus on what its really about. having fun selling merchandise to our customers.

Hot Topic Photos