Huddle House

Updated 19 January 2015
2.6

Kenneth L. (Ken) Keymer

Huddle House Corporate Store GM

Former Employee - General Manager in Rincon, GA (US)
    Former Employee - General Manager in Rincon, GA (US)

I worked at Huddle House

Pros

Decent pay, benefits and free meals.

Cons

Excessive 10+ hour shifts, unattainable standards for training staff, lack of support from corporate staff, high turnover in corporate staff.

Have better understanding of the sacrifices that have to be made by GMs working in a business open 24hrs a day 7 days a week.

Fun enjoyed what and who I worked with

Former Employee - Line Cook in Chapmanville, WV (US)
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Chapmanville, WV (US)

I worked at Huddle House

Pros

Good employees fun environment to work in great owner to work for and the clientele that visits this restraunt are fun to talk to and cook for

Cons

Managers don't know what they are doing need more training for all employees also need more communication among everyone

Take pride in there job don't treat it like a paycheck

Good

Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Westwego, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Westwego, LA (US)

I have been working at Huddle House

Pros

Money in hand at the end of the day

Cons

Hours taken away and that's it

This is a very disorganized company

Former Employee - Server in Ste Genevieve, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Server in Ste Genevieve, MO (US)

I worked at Huddle House part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly customers, tips, check list to work from

Cons

dish washing by hand with soap meant for a commercial dishwasher ruined my skin, I did night shifts as only waitress/bussboy/cook.

I would take a picture of the schedule when it came out only to find out that i was missing my shifts. when I ask why that would happen they told me they are allowed to change the schedule without notifying anyone, so count on missing a few shifts.

My advice to management is to work with employees instead of against them.

Working for the franchise I worked for last was different than any other franchise I had worked for before.

Former Employee - Manager in Greenville, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Greenville, SC (US)

I worked at Huddle House full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working with my employees, the customer made my day everyday. You have regulars that come in and you look forward to seeing them and your talk with them everyday.
    I always trained all my employees, just to make sure they was always giving great customer service.

Cons

I found that with this franchise that being a manager you have to totally deal with whatever goings wrong in the store. You learn a lot of problem solving skills that if you didn't have when you started you would have to learn before you left.

I think this franchise should make the upper management help their managers more. I know as a manager for this franchise i worked sometimes 60 to 70 hours a week and was salary for only 50. Now i understand that some times these things are a necessitates, but when you lose your crew because the company cuts everyone's hours back to 28 a week and you have to work to keep store open. I worked 27 hours straight and could no longer continue to work I called my District to relieve me cause i didn't have another high volume cook for that Saturday morning. He told me to work it out, with working it out the only cook i had was not one that could cook a Saturday morning but at that time neither could I. After being home two hours I got a phone call from my District telling to get to my store now there was a problem. The problem was the cook was behind and He wouldn't not help. He told me if he had to fix it what did he need me for. So my advice to this franchise take a good look at your upper management.

Not good for family life but loved the people. Wish it could have had a better life/work balance

Former Employee - Manager in Murray, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Murray, KY (US)

I worked at Huddle House full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun staff to work with. I miss many of the people I worked with.

Cons

On call 24 hours. It wasn't conducive to having a family and raising kids.

Take care of employees

Former Employee - Manager in Newton, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Newton, KS (US)

I worked at Huddle House full-time (less than a year)

Pros

NONE, this company doesn't care about it's employees or it's customers. Read the comments out there on places like yelp for instance. Huddle House sucks

Cons

Everything, the owner had NO clue as to what he was doing and wouldn't listen to someone that he hired in to help put it back on track. He brought in someone from Georgia that supposedly 'wrote the book' on training, but, is working for another franchise, and yet, openly and notoriously would 'fire you' based on who you voted for, even admitted to doing that in a couple of restaurants.

I told the owner he needed to hire more people, and put more people on duty at all times. He refused. Told the owner he needed to TRAIN these people better, the owner refused. Told the customer he'd have to 'eat' some of the tickets to make customers happy, THE OWNER REFUSED.

You want customers, you want to win them back, you want to win them over, you have to spend now to make it later, you can't win them back by ignoring them. To late to figure it out, now you closed down the store. Deny this all you want, but it's a FACT.

LOL, consider listening to people that KNOW.

Abominable.

Former Employee - Server in Ripley, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Server in Ripley, TN (US)

I worked at Huddle House full-time (less than a year)

Easy to get hired
    Easy job (Server) to get the hang of as long as you can stick around long enough

Cons

Will literally hire anyone
    No proper help (if you mess up, you get reprimanded instead of corrected, if that makes sense)

Drug tests before hiring ANYONE
    Proper training
    Start out at hire wage for servers
    Don't play favorites with good shifts

Excellent opportunity.

Current Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Huddle House full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very rich culture and excellent environment.

Cons

Little bonuses for servers who work hard.

Less attention to details when it comes to rewarding servers for their hard work. Hope this gets fixed.