Huntington National Bank

Updated 22 November 2014
2.8

Huntington National Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Steinour
Steve Steinour

Pros
  • work-life balance was very good; great benefits (in 10 reviews)

• Management was very personable, everyone was a team player, good benefits and perks (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is a huge issue at HNB - IT employees normally work 60 (in 11 reviews)

• Work long hours sometimes 6-10 days in a row (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful place to work!

Former Employee - Team Lead Process Administrator in Crestview Hills, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Team Lead Process Administrator in Crestview Hills, KY (US)

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great boss, loved my co-workers, enjoyed the job itself.

Cons

Only con is the health insurance stinks now. But that isn't the company's fault. Thanks Obama...

Get to know your employees!

Great culture and management

Current Employee - Risk Management Specialist in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Risk Management Specialist in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Open honest management. Great customer focused operating philosophy

Cons

most senior leadership hired from outside the company. Little internal promotion

Promote from within so you retain key employees

Behind the times

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Less layers of management
    Regional bank allows easy access to HQ if you want to seek promotions

Cons

You have to be the jack of all trades
    Unsophisticated investment platform

Hire outside talent to bring the IQ up the curve on investments

It was good but horrible traininh

Current Employee - Personal Banker in East Grand Ra, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in East Grand Ra, MI (US)

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay and opportunities to grow

Cons

Bad management retail schedule open 7 days a week

Stop micro managing and also help those who have never banked before get comfortable

Great company to work for.

I have been working at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Good benefits and flexible hours

Cons

Working on Saturday and Sunday

Mixed feelings

I have been working at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Working with the clients and staff.

Cons

Your work/life balance is awful. Stinks that In-Store is open EVERY holiday, with no business.

My experience at Huntington National Bank was positive giving me a chance to utilize my computer and data entry skills.

Former Employee - Proof Operator in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Proof Operator in Cleveland, OH (US)

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you in customer service and sales this would be an excellent opportunity to get your foot in the door. Huntington recently implemented a new teller system that will enable tellers to automate the deposit process giving tellers more cross selling opportunities.

Cons

The challenges to working at Huntington will be to have decent customer service and people skills as those will be the only clerical jobs available due to the fact that a lot of the jobs in the operations centers will be eliminated due to Teller Deposit Automation that enables transactions to be processed at the branches.

IT intern

I worked at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Worked with V. P.s at company. Got to go to lots of actual meetings. Learned a lot from the experience. Team building activities with other interns.

Cons

No big project or great things to put on resume from working at internship. Kind of just worked a corporate job.

Store banking specialist

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Decent pay in comparison to other banks; starts out with a lot of paid time off

Cons

Open 7 days a week; unrealistic goals

Check in with workers to uncover oases with management

Promising Career Spoiled by Insecure Senior Manager

Former Employee - Corporate Manager
    Former Employee - Corporate Manager

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For the most part, I enjoyed working for Huntington and the role I had for the first couple of years. The two people who hired me were wonderfully smart, no-nonsense people and provided me with a variety of "stretch" and growth opportunities. I also loved the line of business I supported: I learned a lot about the business, I developed great working relationships and I gained exposure to and experience with the top ranks. I believed I could make a difference and build upon my career at this company.

Cons

Shortly after I started working at Huntington, changes began taking place under a new but temporary group head after the previous manager had been fired. Within a little more than a year, I had five managers and "survived" several reorgs. One of my managers left, the person who replaced him quit five months into her job, one of my colleagues got fired and the "temporary" group head accepted the role permanently, creating more of a sense of uncertainty and instability for the team. The group head had never managed a team, nor had she had experience in one of the main fields of the position. It was a mismatch through and through and affected the team in a negative way. Finally, after yet more reorganization of the team and her hiring my replacement without good reason or me knowing, I tried to stick it out until I was forced to resign.

For such a small but mighty team within the bank that continues to try to establish itself and produce outstanding work, consider the drastic changes that have taken place within a short period of time and really look into why. After firing a senior leader, is it wise to put someone in that position who has no leadership or key field experience, poor communications skills and multiple people under her leave and never challenge her decisions out of fear she'll put them out of a job next? Further, with the enormous effort put on the values of the company - living the values, embedding the values into everything you do - isn't it strange that teams exist within the bank that don't embody good teamwork, inclusion, communication, etc., skills? Finally, hold onto and elevate top talent. To do so, also rely on the feedback of co-workers, business partners, etc. Something isn't right in the upper circle when there is mistrust and insecurity breeding to the point that top-notch colleagues are either getting fired or having to resign.