Huntsman Cancer Institute
www.huntsmancancer.org Salt Lake City, UT 1000 to 5000 Employees

Huntsman Cancer Institute Reviews

Updated Mar 16, 2014
Huntsman Cancer Institute – Salt Lake City – “Huntsman Cancer Institute”

Mary Beckerle

Can be a good place, Could be a whole lot better

Scientist (Former Employee)

I worked at Huntsman Cancer Institute full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPlenty of space, good if you study genomics, friendly people for the most part. If you like a nice work/life balance, most people are roughly 9-5.

ConsOverly bureaucratic, if you don't study genomics there isn't much else going on and most of the people doing other studies are leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of most of the inefficient admin staff. The leadership on the science end of things is completely focusing on studying the genomics of cancer. It is also concerning that there is a lot of open, unused science bench space and yet there is an expansion of the building going on. While I understand that funds were donated for this effort, giving some funds to scientists that are in need (due to the poor academic funding environment) would be a better use of the money. Progress doesn't happen in unused space.

Inspiring place to work

I have been working at Huntsman Cancer Institute

ProsGreat benefits, great workplace, nice people, great restaurant upstairs. Oodles of beautiful women work here...

ConsLimited parking options. A bit out of the way to get to work.

place of dwindling opportunities

Post Doctoral Researcher (Current Employee)

I have been working at Huntsman Cancer Institute full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are lots of opportunities to become part of the Huntsman Cancer Institute family- picnics, seminars, employee surveys.

ConsA lot of the established PI's are leaving the institute. The inexperienced, new investigators are having a difficult time establishing their labs with the little funding available.

Research Assistant

Research Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Huntsman Cancer Institute part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe atmosphere is great and the people are wonderful. I had a lot of fun working there and learned a lot!

ConsParking is expensive and difficult to get but public transit is good enough that you can get there easily without a car. I really don't have anything negative to say about this fine establishment

Graduate Student at HCI

Graduate Student (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at Huntsman Cancer Institute full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA great work environment for students. Lots of constructive meetings and help from other students and mentors.

ConsI like it, but don't come to graduate school unless you are ready.

An excellent place to work and do some great cancer research

Post Doctoral (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at Huntsman Cancer Institute full-time for more than 8 years

ProsA great research setting with amazing scientific opportunities

ConsParking situation is annoying and its only going to get worse when the extension is built

Incredible place to work

Clinical Care Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Huntsman Cancer Institute full-time for more than 5 years

ProsProvides a great opportunity to really make a difference in people's lives. An awesome place to work!

ConsNot much room for career advancement unless you are an RN or an accountant.

Great place to work. Fun people to be around, great to see a difference this place makes in peoples lives.

Former Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Huntsman Cancer Institute full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBest benefits of any place I have ever been. Retirement program is awesome. Pay is hit and miss, depending on where you work. Not overly stressful. (sometimes to relaxed)

ConsOpportunities are limited unless you have a PhD or MD. No real career ladder for most positions. There might be some rare ones that come around, but you must perform well and you must time it just perfect when someone else leaves. When I was there I felt like my career was stagnant even though I did my job well and I got above average raises every year

Advice to Senior ManagementI love Huntsman Cancer Institute. I think it is a great place to work. However, if you have lots of ambition to move up in your career, this place probably isn't for you unless you are a doctor or a PhD. No bonuses like you might get in the corportate world.

good people, good place, excellent benefits!

Study Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Huntsman Cancer Institute full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits are phenomenal! The retirement benefit is one of the best in the state as far as matching contributions go, eligible from day 1 on all of them, including medical.

Consfairly stressful, at times high turnover,

Advice to Senior Managementcompetitive raises with each year of experience. A lot of money is invested in employees that would stay for a reasonable raise after 6 months, 12 months, 24, months, 36 mo, 60 mo, etc...

False sense of commitment to employees

OSS (Former Employee)

I worked at Huntsman Cancer Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat benefits, decent wages, beautiful workplace

Consterrible treatment of employees and staff

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is non-existent unless there are problems

Worked for Huntsman Cancer Institute? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Huntsman Cancer Institute reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Huntsman Cancer Institute CEO Mary Beckerle. All 11 reviews are posted anonymously by Huntsman Cancer Institute employees.