Hyatt

Updated 30 September 2014
3.8

Hyatt President and CEO Mark S. Hoplamazian
Mark S. Hoplamazian

Pros
  • Hyatt gives great benefits and really care about their employees (in 41 reviews)

• The company tries hard to keep employees happy, and provides fairly good benefits (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work life balance, it can bevery hard to make plans around your work schedule (in 29 reviews)

• Extremely long hours hours for a handful of positions (in 48 reviews)

More Highlights

An organisation with a high level of professionalism in the Hotel and Catering industry

I have been working at Hyatt

Pros

Diversity of tasks, international aspect, great management team

Cons

Industry minimum holidays, management team working on saturday mornings.

People leave managers not companies

Former Employee - Sales Executive  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in London, England

I worked at Hyatt full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ok career opportunities
    Great properties
    International environment

Cons

Managers can make or break your experience (in my case: break)
    Horrible staff facilities and offices, e.g. no windows! (for guests: awesome! for staff: depressing at best)
    Mediocre pay (London)

Focused on business segmentation

Former Employee - Host  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Host in London, England

I worked at Hyatt as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good experience in a extremely busy environment

Cons

Very low salaries and poor opportunities of growth

Promote from inside to avoid turnover

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Hyatt

Pros

great company to work for, amazing benefits, very good trainings and supportive management.

Cons

demanding hours in some roles and not a great pay, but that's just like every other multinational hotel company

Very good time at the Hyatt Regency Birmingham

Former Employee - Waitress  in  Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Waitress in Birmingham, England

I worked at Hyatt

Pros

good relationships with employees
    meeting about changes, issues and congratulations
    good help
    recognition of employees

Cons

no training for casual staff
    no explanation
    not well recognize as other staff

make more things for casual because even if they are not working a lot they need to learn and make a good wprk when they have shifts so only on the job training could be hepful and interesting

Company takes care of Employees who work hard

I have been working at Hyatt

Pros

Free Hotel rooms throughout the company and good benefits. Paid Vacation after 5 years 16 days plus paid sick time.

Cons

365 days a year open to guests. Guests 1st. Life balance is only a priority to associates.

analyst

I have been working at Hyatt

Pros

chill culture, everyone is nice and friendly

Cons

work is a little repetitive

The management, colleagues and attitude.

Current Employee - Gallery Host  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Gallery Host in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Hyatt full-time for less than a year

Pros

I can only speak for my property. I'm a Gallery host at a select service Hyatt place. My GM, both AGM's, Director of sales and sales associate are amazing. Especially my GM. Not only does he have possibly the coolest personality I've met in a gm, but he knows his stuff and he cares. Every morning he checks up on all of us and knows if there's something wrong. I turned down an opportunity to become sheriff, was offered 15k and a unheard of deal to be promoted quickly. All because of my GM. Now, my leads are just as amazing. My colleagues are only great because of my attitude. There's always new employees coming in because A.) Get weeded out B.) Move to another Hyatt because there's plenty of them in my area, some offer more pay because they are franchises more convenient in distance, or to a higher position. My AGM who hires the new associates does a good job, they are usually ambitious, open minded, and genuinely care. Most are either in school getting degrees in other fields or transferring from other hotel chains trying to climb higher. Out of all my associates I'm the one who travels the most. I fly literally everywhere because I have flight benefits. I go in and out of Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Miami, New York, dang basically a lot of places because of friends I made previously before I got the job and moved to my area. My AGM ALWAYS allows me to go and accepts my requests time off. If you pull your weight, follow their easy guidelines for checking guests in and out. Getting along with your coworkers, then honestly you will have so much freedom. I may have supervisors but I'm treated like a king because I'm trusted. I can't speak for all hyatts just yet because I've only been in one property for about 6 months, but it's an amazing job. After one year you get paid time off and the amount of days grow each year, 12 comp nights for full time positions, 6 for part time. 401k and all that jazz. The discounted rate isn't the greatest but damn it's better than paying full price for unknown chains when you're traveling. Hyatts are always near highways or on great locations. I go to the gym and trader Joes every day after work, put gas in my truck at Costco. Malls, downtown, campus are all 10 mins away. I'll add some more icing on the cake, we have so many hook ups that come with the job. We have a car service guy that has his own company when we get calls from guests that need a ride we call him. He pays us $40 cash for like every 4 guests. And he'll give us free rides if ever needed when we're out with our friends clubbing. Restaurants always come in bringing food and deals for us because we help them out. Businesses treating us like royalty giving us their products because we are seen as marketers for them. All we do is front desk yet we're God's to them. There's so much perks, I can go on and on. The people I've met... Incredible. I thought I was intelligent, but hearing stories from guests and advice I've received from celebrities, CEO's, etc. Are outstanding.

Cons

From my understanding there's two ways to be promoted in hospitality. Transfer to other properties or to other companies and keep doing it. Don't stay at one property. My coworker "Queen Bee" as I call her has worked at my property for 6 years and has never been promoted. She loves it that way, but she knows she could have climbed so high if she moved properties. My GM, mostly all of them transfered from other Hyatt'. My director of sales and GM started from the way bottom. Sales guy was a housekeeper... A housekeeper at 16 and now is banking because of his hard work... Surely being likeable with the higher ups may help, but working hard and getting high scores and making the guests mention your name in surveys is what will make you great. I plan on transferring to different properties every year not only because I want to climb, but because I need to experience all levels.

Would Never have Gone Somewhere else

Current Employee - Executive Housekeeper  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Housekeeper in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Hyatt full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Training Programs and Benifits. Direct Management, not afraid to get their hand "dirty".

Cons

If you need to stay in a city, options for promotion may be limited as Execs. in this economy are sitting jobs, or, need to stay in they city they are in.

If you have an awesome employee that would like to return let them, their experience outside of Hyatt may be just what you need to stay as diversified as you want to be.

Its more like a family than a company

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate  in  Ahmedabad (India)
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Ahmedabad (India)

I have been working at Hyatt full-time for less than a year

Pros

promotions & incentives. always a good opportunity for transfers

Cons

Social life getting tidious. rest all good

Worked for Hyatt? Contribute to the Community!