Hyatt

Hyatt Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Hyatt President and CEO Mark S. Hoplamazian

Mark S. Hoplamazian

Pros
  • Hyatt gives great benefits and really care about their employees(in 37 reviews)

• The company tries hard to keep employees happy, and provides fairly good benefits(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much work-life balance but that comes with the territory in hospitality(in 27 reviews)

• Extremely long hours hours for a handful of positions(in 47 reviews)

An organisation with a high level of professionalism in the Hotel and Catering industry

ProsDiversity of tasks, international aspect, great management team

ConsIndustry minimum holidays, management team working on saturday mornings.

Focused on business segmentation

Host (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGood experience in a extremely busy environment

ConsVery low salaries and poor opportunities of growth

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from inside to avoid turnover

great company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

Prosgreat company to work for, amazing benefits, very good trainings and supportive management.

Consdemanding hours in some roles and not a great pay, but that's just like every other multinational hotel company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good time at the Hyatt Regency Birmingham

Waitress (Former Employee) Birmingham, England

Prosgood relationships with employees
    meeting about changes, issues and congratulations
    good help
    recognition of employees

Consno training for casual staff
    no explanation
    not well recognize as other staff

Advice to Senior Managementmake more things for casual because even if they are not working a lot they need to learn and make a good wprk when they have shifts so only on the job training could be hepful and interesting

I work with some of the best people in the US. I am surrounded by motivated individuals with common goals....success.

Pastry Cook II (Current Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

Pros401k, PTO, vacation, hotel stay perks

ConsNone at this time, the experience has been great.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot at this time.

Catering Sales Manager

Catering Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsCompany has great benefits, genuinely seems to care about work-life balance and offers ability to move up, especially if you are willing to relocate.

ConsLots of time and energy on corporate mandated programs that come and go with little to no real impact. Pay is lower than what you could make elsewhere, but they do justify this with work/life balance and nice benefits. Also, there seems to be a trend towards promoting away "problem children" particularly on the Operations side of things.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to spend less time with the corporate mumbo-jumbo and more time genuinely giving people the freedom to do their jobs. Also, look at the hotels/positions that are chronically understaffed and find a way to fix it.

Director of Human Resources

Director of Rooms (Former Employee)

ProsPromote from within. Cohesive team. Good communication. Positive environment.

ConsLong hours. Pay could have been better.

Infformation technology team. Best place to work in Chicago

Senior Developer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsNew head of group that gets it. Great vision, great execution. Listening culture. Whole department has been restructured and it was finally done right. I've never seen a tech department communicate so well all the way down the organization.

ConsWe are in a different building then the rest of the company, although some of my peers view this as a plus. Hours can be long. Some of the tech we have to support it a little long in the tooth. Head of department seems very comfortable with risk and failure, but the middle managers between him and I are much more conservative, and dare I say afraid for their jobs. CEO seems detached. Structure outside of IT (marketing,finance,operations) needs better leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeed up the turnover. Some politics in the main building spill over to ours, if you could find a way to manage the inter-department shenanigans this would be the perfect job.

Human Resources

Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA (US)

ProsHyatt truly cares about its employees. I felt this from the corporate office to the HR team on site. They understand that importance of employee engagement and work towards increasing these rates. The customer experience is dependent on this. The benefits were great. Hyatt offers hotel discounts and complimentary rooms. This is something that other hotel chains are no longer offering.

ConsThe team I worked on was understaffed for over 1 year. I worked a lot of overtime and learned much more than I would have otherwise. In the end I am not so sure it was a bad thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue offering comp rooms. This is such a perk for all staff form valet to executives. It is appreciated and something everyone enjoys. Town hall meetings are also helpful and an overall best practice. Communicate to staff the initiatives, goals, and direction for the hotel occasionally. This will only help them align their work with these larger goals.

One big family

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsGreat perks
    Family feeling
    Great learning experience
    Amazing company to work for

ConsHard to get promoted unless someone leaves, unless you want to relocate

Worked for Hyatt? Contribute to the Community!