Hydrogen Group plc

2.4

Hydrogen Group plc CEO Tim Smeaton
Tim Smeaton

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Was good when I was there!

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc (more than 3 years)

Pros

"Be the best" culture
    transparent career progression
    ability to get market share quickly
    Some very high performing teams - best I've seen in recruitment

Cons

Very KPI focused business, often distracting from quality
    changed strategy too frequently
    Teams didnt work the well together, but relationship function was addressing that

Get the old trainers back - they made us better recruiters then the competition, the "in house" training was too standard with the rest of the industry.
    Hire better quality - like when the company was Finance Professionals and Project Partners ect, and far less average grads.

Enjoyable place to work and moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My experience of the business has been really positive and I genuinely enjoy being at work. The company has grown quickly over the last couple of years and the culture is evolving with this growth which I feel is positive and necessary but I know some people have sruggled to adjust to this change. Having worked in a large recruitment agency it is refreshing to work somewhere where you ideas are taken on board and you feel less of a number and more valued within the organisation.
    Friendly and approachable senior management
    Black and white commission structure
    Nice balance of work hard and play hard culture
    Best training I have seen in recruitment
    Good reputation on the market place
    Strong business relationships and PSL's in place.

Cons

Need to continue to recruit strong people to move the business forwards.

Started out great - went rapidly down hill

Former Employee - Sales in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales in London, England

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When I joined I was attracted by the passion and energy of the directors. Good brand ad high growth.

Cons

It soon became apparent that unless you were one on the old faces (i.e. been there from the beginning) you had no hope of being recognised, whatever your results were. There was a core group of managers that had the ear of certain directors who would throw you under a bus at the first opportunity to make themselves look good. Not what I expected from a PLC. Then came the change (which was needed) but the person making the decisions had no guts and just kept the same poisoned leadership team in place. If you talk about change and opportunity, at least make honest changes rather than pandering to certain people - its so obvious!!! Glad to have moved on.

Be honest and make decision for the business rather than ones to please the old timers and friends of the CEO

Great for someone starting in recruitment but definitely not for the long term.

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Good starter training.
    - Enjoyable culture if you like to party.
    - Something to get your foot in the door.

Cons

- You are just a number; no one cares about your progression as long as you're billing.
    - Terrible management.
    - Salary is poor for the considerable amount of hours.
    - Favouritism is high; sleep with a manager and you will progress to consultant level/senior consultant!

Recruitment consultant

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

Strong brand in some practices - well networked, great reputation for being specialist and delivering. This gives a strong platform for new joiners.
    The commission structure has some mixed reviews but I tend to find the people who say it's terrible are those who are not performing to the right standard. Having researched into the market, most competitors are very ambiguous as to what you will receive commission wise and it's quite often at the discretion of their managers whereas at Hydrogen it's very transparent with even calculators so you can see what you earn each quarter.
    Great incentives - if you work hard and perform well you really do reap the benefits.

Cons

There has been a lot of change - most of it necessary - but the communication from the leadership teams has been dreadful at times which often leads to gossip which spreads like wildfire.
    It's hard to do a commission scheme where one size fits all - in some areas it can feel easier to make money.
    New hires are often not up to scratch - overconfident and never deliver. Need a better screening process.

Going... Going... Gone.

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Started off ok last year but novelty wore off very quickly.

Great people to work with. If I didn't have this I'd have left 6 months ago. Very relaxed compared with other businesses.

Thanks honestly about it.

Cons

Where do I start.

Upper Management are seemingly all idiots.
    Culture has turned to crap.
    Salaries are diabolical (I earn less than minimum wage you would do better as a cleaner.)
    Comission is shocking, completely geared against new starters. You have to "pay" for the cost of your seat, so no commission on anything under £10,000. Likely % are about 5-10 after that which is low compared with others.
    CEO doesn't seem to really know what's happening on the ground.
    Vision is just a load of smoke
    Stuffing "values" down our throats.
    Little to no contact between disciplines.
    Other people always screwing up other people's clients, lost key business as a result.
    The list goes on....

I would not advice starting here. You'd do much better trying to jump in at the deep end elsewhere.

Actually listen to what is happening. Sort out the crap commission structure & pay people a wage that is in line the market average.

Changes have been made. Now let's move forward.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work with some great people and have a good time at work (on the whole).

The environment is a young one yet is starting to get a little more mature. This is a good thing.

It now feels like the big changes are done with and that we can now stabilise and be more how it used to be. Again; this is a good thing.

The learning and development team are truly excellent. I have been in recruiting for quite a few years across a few companies and they are the best I have encountered in the industry.

Cons

The large amount of changes unsettled a lot of people and we lost some good colleagues (and some less good colleagues to be fair).

Back office processes are seemingly complicated and front office sales staff have little idea what they are. It's frustrating.

Communication between areas of the business needs to improve (management to sales and sales to back office). Maybe even a suggestion box? Hub Chatter is really only used for successes and not suggestions.

KPI system is one size fits all (across some very different recruiting areas). It's not appropriate.

Be more visible to staff (a bit of floor walking never hurts).

No more changes in 2014. Please.

Reduce sales staff attrition somehow. It's got out of control.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your comments. We're glad you understand the longer-term direction of Hydrogen and why changes need to happen. You raise some very valid points. Like all of these reviews, of course ... More

Recruitment Consultant

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good training. Perfect for a first experience in recruitment.

Cons

Big variations from
    A team to another in terms of management. No real long term vision and strategic imput in the work done. Agressive approach to recruitment.

More wore on the merit of a consultative approach to recruitment and try to get rid of wrong managers

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Thank you for your review of Hydrogen. As a matter of course, anybody that leaves the business is offered an exit interview so that we can continually learn and improve. If there was anything you ... More

Hydrogen has huge potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hydrogen has the right foundations in place to be really successful now that we have undergone a period of change and transition. We had some great characters here but it was too much of a fun place to be and had only a handful of really successful and driven consultants and leaders. We, in recent months appear to have grown up and fingers crossed will see more high earners and leaders develop in the future. I am excited to see how we look this time next year.

Cons

People have to genuinely want it and expectations need to be exceeded not just met so it concerns me that some people being lazy will delay this change happening quick enough to keep the good people interested.

Get out more and be inspirational.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response. It's great to see you understand the longer-term view for Hydrogen and how with us all working towards this, combined with the attitudes of people like yourself, we ... More

Steadily going downhill

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Colleagues, Good brand, Location, Training

Cons

Low pay
    Work-life balance/flexibility
    Commission structure
    Promotion structure uninspiring
    No individual treatment
    Ask for help and don't get it

Instead of losing consultants to competitors, retain them by showing them their value in the business. A one size fits all approach does not work with regards to promotions etc, good billers are not necessarily good leaders and if you were more supportive you could unlock much more potential with the staff you have rather than letting them go elsewhere and then spending time and money on recruiting again

Hydrogen Group plc Photos