Hydrogen Group plc

Hydrogen Group plc Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Hydrogen Group plc CEO Tim Smeaton

Tim Smeaton

Changes have been made. Now let's move forward.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

ProsI work with some great people and have a good time at work (on the whole).

The environment is a young one yet is starting to get a little more mature. This is a good thing.

It now feels like the big changes are done with and that we can now stabilise and be more how it used to be. Again; this is a good thing.

The learning and development team are truly excellent. I have been in recruiting for quite a few years across a few companies and they are the best I have encountered in the industry.

ConsThe large amount of changes unsettled a lot of people and we lost some good colleagues (and some less good colleagues to be fair).

Back office processes are seemingly complicated and front office sales staff have little idea what they are. It's frustrating.

Communication between areas of the business needs to improve (management to sales and sales to back office). Maybe even a suggestion box? Hub Chatter is really only used for successes and not suggestions.

KPI system is one size fits all (across some very different recruiting areas). It's not appropriate.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more visible to staff (a bit of floor walking never hurts).

No more changes in 2014. Please.

Reduce sales staff attrition somehow. It's got out of control.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your comments. We're glad you understand the longer-term direction of Hydrogen and why changes need to happen. You raise some very valid points. Like all of these reviews, of course ... More

Recruitment Consultant

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGood training. Perfect for a first experience in recruitment.

ConsBig variations from
    A team to another in terms of management. No real long term vision and strategic imput in the work done. Agressive approach to recruitment.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore wore on the merit of a consultative approach to recruitment and try to get rid of wrong managers

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Thank you for your review of Hydrogen. As a matter of course, anybody that leaves the business is offered an exit interview so that we can continually learn and improve. If there was anything you ... More

Hydrogen has huge potential

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

ProsHydrogen has the right foundations in place to be really successful now that we have undergone a period of change and transition. We had some great characters here but it was too much of a fun place to be and had only a handful of really successful and driven consultants and leaders. We, in recent months appear to have grown up and fingers crossed will see more high earners and leaders develop in the future. I am excited to see how we look this time next year.

ConsPeople have to genuinely want it and expectations need to be exceeded not just met so it concerns me that some people being lazy will delay this change happening quick enough to keep the good people interested.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out more and be inspirational.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response. It's great to see you understand the longer-term view for Hydrogen and how with us all working towards this, combined with the attitudes of people like yourself, we ... More

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Going... Going... Gone.

Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

ProsStarted off ok last year but novelty wore off very quickly.

Great people to work with. If I didn't have this I'd have left 6 months ago. Very relaxed compared with other businesses.

Thanks honestly about it.

ConsWhere do I start.

Upper Management are seemingly all idiots.
    Culture has turned to crap.
    Salaries are diabolical (I earn less than minimum wage you would do better as a cleaner.)
    Comission is shocking, completely geared against new starters. You have to "pay" for the cost of your seat, so no commission on anything under £10,000. Likely % are about 5-10 after that which is low compared with others.
    CEO doesn't seem to really know what's happening on the ground.
    Vision is just a load of smoke
    Stuffing "values" down our throats.
    Little to no contact between disciplines.
    Other people always screwing up other people's clients, lost key business as a result.
    The list goes on....

I would not advice starting here. You'd do much better trying to jump in at the deep end elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually listen to what is happening. Sort out the crap commission structure & pay people a wage that is in line the market average.

Steadily going downhill

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) London, England

ProsColleagues, Good brand, Location, Training

ConsLow pay
    Work-life balance/flexibility
    Commission structure
    Promotion structure uninspiring
    No individual treatment
    Ask for help and don't get it

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of losing consultants to competitors, retain them by showing them their value in the business. A one size fits all approach does not work with regards to promotions etc, good billers are not necessarily good leaders and if you were more supportive you could unlock much more potential with the staff you have rather than letting them go elsewhere and then spending time and money on recruiting again

Disappointing and unsupported

Very relaxed work environment

I'm honestly struggling to meet the 20 word minimum for the pros side of things

ConsCommission structure
    Basic salary
    Salary is less than minimum wage and doesn't even pay my living costs even after a year here
    They fired half my team
    All the top billers left
    Stranded in a slow market with little guidance
    Company feels like it is dying or will restructure to a much smaller size

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and understand what the employees need and support that. Power points with baseless targets help no one.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response and for bringing to our attention your concerns. As a current employee of Hydrogen, we would urge you as a first step, to raise these with your Line Manager. However, if ... More

Do not join and if you are in H2 leave for better options!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome of the people are ok

ConsLow % model, stack them high and sell them cheap model, which means very low earnings for consultants coupled with very long hours. Several examples of woman sleeping there way to the top. Very much a blame culture. Most of the people who work there are either completely untrustworthy or a green at the gills grad. They claim to be what they are not, specialist, expert and thriving.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Really worried about the future

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

ProsIf you're a recent grad keen on a party hard culture, H2 is great, 90% of the consultants are fresh out of university - the play-hard culture can be lots of fun.
    They tell a great story and can be very inspirational at times

ConsI've been here for just over 2 years, but I am starting to get worried about what's going to happen in the next 2 years.
    We recently had a 'half year launch' and the presentations given by the senior leadership team were, in a word, awful. The slides were full of typo's and spelling mistakes, some of the directors didn't seem to know their material, some didn't seem to understand the figures, one lacked any conviction/belief in what they were saying. In places it was embarrassing to watch, but the reality is it's just another example of what I've seen happening to the business since I joined.
    We've just released another negative trading statement to the city, admitting that we aren't performing to expectation and it's just occurred to me that we haven't given the city any positive news since I joined - and the recruitment market is supposed to be booming right now!?!?
    A lot has changed since I started, which didn't use to bother me, however, we are changing too often and and too quickly and it's starting to feel like it's all reactive and short term and done to save money and protect our profits rather than because it's the right to do for the long term future of the business and it's for this reason I worry about what the future holds.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your people, the spin you put into all the 'inspirational' talks, presentations and sales meetings is starting to wear thin - they might work on all the new hires who don't know any better, but for those of us who've been here a while, I'd like to hear the truth for a change.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response and for bringing to our attention your concerns. As a current employee of Hydrogen, we would urge you as a first step, to find an AD or senior manager whom you have a ... More

Good at first but the company has completely changed and is a poor example of a business and treats employees badly

Consultant/Senior Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGood training and very good Learning and Development team. Good clients - however these clients are starting to see the negatives to doing business with Hydrogen and are choosing other recruitment companies as their preferred partner. I am hearing a lot of negative feedback from key clients, some now refusing to ever work with Hydrogen again because of their approach.

ConsThe company cannot stick to a vision and do not manage people or create and implement strategies well. The company is very divisional, with each practice area working independently to one another (for example Finance, Law or Oil & Gas). The company has grown too quickly and made many mistakes in terms of structuring and developing teams. They also seem to be confused as to which markets they are entering, with no clear direction or focus. This is poor from a client and candidate perspective (not to mention employee) because Hydrogen are claiming to be experts in things areas they no nothing about. Hydrogen used to be a lovely place, great culture, good consultants and managers, but the turnover is so high that this has completely changed and none of the great people want to stick around for long. This is because of the poor management, poor opinions from industry, poor career progression and also very low salaries compared to market average. The problem seems to be that Hydrogen management are trying to create a 'quick fix' to a financial problem that has been worsening for some time due to running the business badly and growing too quickly in an unsuccessful way. This quick fix is all about money and Hydrogen are forgetting that clients will be around for much longer, they all talk, and the bigger picture is not being considered. All this company look for is where is the next deal? & why are you not working with a particular account? They then bulldoze in without thinking of the client or the candidate - just trying to make quick money, a very unintelligent approach and a poor service to the client. It is not a pleasant place to work and it is somewhere I am very ashamed to be a part of.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want a quick fix to sell the business- then fair enough. However, if you want a business that is successful in the longer term then you really must re-address everything that is being done, and make better informed, more careful business choices. Don't take my word for it, I urge you to ask clients and candidates what their impression is and I am confident my above comments will be echoed.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response and for bringing to our attention these issues. As a current employee of Hydrogen, we would urge you as a first step, to raise these with your Line Manager. However, if ... More

Really good experience thus far

Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

ProsUpon finishing university, I had no idea what I wanted to do. In an ideal world, I would have entered academia. However, the anaemic pay and poor working conditions (even at many top universities) were enough to put me off this route. Unlike most of my university friends who chose banking, consultancy, the Big 4 and law conversions, I really had no interest in pursuing these options either. I found them generic (and still do).

So, it was by complete chance that I applied to Hydrogen. As luck would have it, I couldn't have picked a better place to start my career. Instead of dull and menial tasks, I felt like I was given responsibility from the very beginning. In fact, every month at Hydrogen thus far has been a great learning curve. I work with some great colleagues. They're supportive, witty and, most importantly, work hard.

I'm constantly given new targets and regularly receive feedback from my management team. As a result, I know exactly where I am in terms of my progression and what I should be doing in order to improve. I've learned that time-management is key to everything and to keep pushing even when you feel you're getting nowhere. Compared to my friends in larger corporates, I know that I've learned a lot more and have actually enjoyed the content of my work.

Will I stay at Hydrogen forever? Who knows, but I do think the company has a great culture and an ambitious vision of what it wants to be. So, to conclude, I'm happy with my time here.

ConsThere needs to be more emphasis on people using the Hub. Too often candidates are added and left completely or partially unskilled (having said that, the Hub training is pretty comprehensive and organised).

More company-wide competitions to encourage a sales culture should take place.

If people have to hit certain KPIs, for example, then this should be more standardised i.e. everyone HAS to make 40 calls per day irrespective of your practice.

I find the cultures between various desks and practices vary quite a lot. Some desks and practices are great. Some have really good team leaders and a mature atmosphere. Others, however, do not.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget that the growth of APAC is also due to the economic growth of many emerging markets. It's no surprise that we're experiencing a boom there due to the disparity in talent between home-grown recruitment firms, with far less experience and capital, compared to foreign recruitment firms, like ourselves.

Get your act together when it comes to taking new consultants onboard. The gap between one consultant and the next is, at times, ridiculous. Be as picky with the sourcing of our consultants as we are with the sourcing of our candidates. Much more discrepancy is needed when trying to find consultants who actually have a decent work-ethic and who can quickly understand what their candidates do.

Get rid of certain team leaders. Far too many loud-mouthed consultants seem to have been promoted to positions of authority purely because they've billed respectably for a few quarters. Fortunately, my team leader is more mature, has a lot of experience and commands respect because he's actually good at managing people. However, this does not seem to be a company-wide phenomenon.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response. We're really pleased you chose Hydrogen too! You raise some very valid points. Like all of these reviews, of course we take on board these comments, however we also ... More

Worked for Hydrogen Group plc? Contribute to the Community!