Hydrogen Group plc Reviews

67 reviews filtered by
2.9
Hydrogen Group plc Chief Executive Officer Ian Temple
Ian Temple

Pros
  • Good training and very good Learning and Development team (in 5 reviews)

• Good location, global company, great l&d and ops teams - that's about as far as the pros go (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is appalling relative to other companies (in 8 reviews)

• Very long hours and shocking base salary, especially when compared to competition (in 7 reviews)

A company with structure and vision. Great workplace!

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was headhunted into Hydrogen. What impressed me from day one was that unlike the other recruitment companies I have worked for, Hydrogen did not oversell and underdeliver. It was rather the opposite. They have stuck to their word and from day 1 they have worked with me towards achieving my career goals.

This is a highly ethical recruitment business with structure and vision and although we may make some mistakes, they are always for the better.

When I look at some of the cowboys out there, it makes me feel proud I work for Hydrogen.

Cons

Working hours are longer than industry standard.

Advice to Management

Put more team based incentives in place.

2. Company is dying

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in London, England
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in London, England

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some excellent consultants and some (and only a few) good AD level managers. Central City base is good for those starting in 'the smoke'. Excellent benefits package for a small/mid size company. Good HR team (now sadly reduced to one person - we feel for you Jenny).

Cons

Talent management is quite poor, as is compensation for the better managers. The 'politicians' get ahead while the ones who care get frustrated. Penny pinching and cost cutting in the wrong areas. Huge instability across the firm with some really poor decisions being made at CXO level. Longer hours than industry standard and base salaries on the low side. Commission is also at the level of the huge recruiting firms who can offer a lot more in other areas and balance it out. Under-utilised database that is really only meant for senior / perm headhunt hires (salesforce is very poor for fast moving recruitment and most consultants have no idea how to use it effectively - it's used as a logging tool only in most cases - for freelance / contract recruiting it's next to useless). Why on earth did you buy it when you rely on contract business? Hays and Adecco have conquered the world on Bond Adapt - it's a typical sign of the 'head in the sand' mentality of senior management that you bought Salesforce instead. Idiots.

Advice to Management

You've made some catastrophic errors over the last few years. It's time for you to admit to your shareholders that you are no longer competent and step down. All of you. Hydrogen has some amazing sales side professionals (and operations professionals) and your constant interfering and KPI bashing is not appropriate for the markets we operate in. Your COO's are terrifyingly hard and the people who have made Hydrogen functional (sales/support) are frightened what decision you will make next. We never know what's coming and we don't trust you. I'd find it easier trusting an angry rattlesnake.

@the board - You were good when the firm was growing but you aren't the right people to lead a PLC. Hydrogen is under repeated profit warnings in a booming market. You spend in grossly inappropriate ways and are destroying what you built. The share price is plummeting. You have failed. Take your money and run.

If you are determined to stay then examine everything from the ground up and look at staff compensation, well being, speed to market, contacted working hours (good sales staff always stay to get it done anyway). Open your eyes and see why we are losing. Making the whole Tech perm practice redundant when it's so lucrative for other firms is a real glowing example of why you are no longer required (I am sure you are disproportionately well compensated too).

For the sake of doubt - I am not a member of that redundant team and never was.

Avoid this place!

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc

Pros

Good company culture - fun work environment

Cons

Middle management have no clue what they are doing! Managers are not trained on people management and have no ability to lead and motivate a team. 'Team Leaders' and 'Directors' are completely incompetent and quite frankly, a bit of a joke. The place is falling apart from the top down and should be avoided at all costs. Long hours mean you are constantly drained, 8.30am - 6.30pm is far higher than industry average!

Advice to Management

Quit

Excellent company with great opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great talent across all teams
    - Lots of backing for growth, development and to develop your desk
    - Tight teams
    - Some very positive changes recently in senior management
    - I have been here for over a year now and I can honestly say joining Hydrogen has been a great decision

Cons

- It's sad to see that there are consultants in the company that do not appreciate the opportunity on offer

Advice to Management

- Very pleased with the new CEO!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding culture - even on the worst days (which are rare) I enjoy coming to work here. My colleagues are friendly, supportive, and generally good fun to be around
    Good commission scheme for strong performers, and a totally transparent formula so you always know where you stand
    Good reputation in the market and generally one of the more successful agencies in our sector
    Hydrogen was my first "proper" job after university, and it's allowed me to build the foundations for what I hope will be a successful career, and earn great money while I'm still young enough to enjoy it, and buy my own flat in London within 3 years of joining

Cons

Basic salaries are on the low side, however the strong commission scheme more than makes up for this

Advice to Management

The company has gone through a few changes over the last few months, but stick with it and help us to move forwards.
    Try not to lose the culture and feel that makes this such a great company to work for.

Great opportunity (for those who want it)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Taking ownership of your own work is encourage, leading to the opportunity to develop accounts
    - Strong team culture and friendly environment
    - Fair holiday allowance (increasing with service)
    - Support and advice available when required
    - Good Learning & Development Manager who is very approachable and creates bespoke course on request
    - Clear communication from Senior Management
    - Great environment to learn
    - Ethical workplace
    - Comfortable chairs!

Cons

- Database compliance can be slack, more onus should be placed on consultants to keep up to date
    - Contracted working hours are the longest I've come across in the industry

Advice to Management

- More focus on team based incentives

Great place to work.

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc

Pros

Culture. Training. Commission. Opportunities. Location.

Cons

Lazy people who insist on trying to drag the company down.

Advice to Management

Train all teams like legal train.

Tough times, but coming back stronger

Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England
    Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc

Pros

There have been a number of changes at the company over the past 12 months, but this has created a much leaner company full of top quality recruiters with clear career paths in an environment which offers numerous opportunities as the company is now in heavy growth mode.
    It now has the right people in the right roles (the new CEO is a breath of fresh air), in the right markets and has embarked on it's next stage of development.
    IF you've got the stomach for it, you will fly.

Cons

The environment has become more demanding now as the quality and results per head has increased. Not a place for someone who wants to hide.
    Also, not for the change-averse. Hydrogen will make the changes they feel need to be made.

Advice to Management

Keep the promises made to your employees and the results will continue to improve

brilliant. best time of my life

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

culture is fantastic. everyone is encouraging of each other. training is the best for starting a career in recruitment.

Cons

none none none none none

Advice to Management

CEO needs to step down and let the COO take over

Team Leader

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc

Pros

Some great people and good incentives

Cons

Literally falling apart from the top down with only junior staff left.

Advice to Management

Sell

RSS Feed </> Embed