IBM

3.5 10,000 reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

(3,334 ratings)

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1225 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1184 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 369 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

10,000 Employee Reviews

Exciting, Interesting

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGlobal Transformation Projects, Interesting People, People focused management.

ConsPolitics, Sometimes wrong people get promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour doing a good job!

IBM

Software Engineer (Former Employee) London, England

ProsLoved it ! Everyone was very nice and I came to work happily

ConsWhen I had to go home :(

A company to be proud to work for!

Managing Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat team, awesome people and Watson

ConsSalary and continual pressure to do more / better / always be on the limit

Advice to Senior ManagementStart with Why (Simon Sinek)! Forget Utilisation targets and learn to value people and their contributions. Innovate, research, push boundaries like Smarter Planet. Utilisation / Targets were at their lowest in the 60s and IBM's sales team were the best in the world! Give people freedom and space to innovate and exceed expectations. Don't force people to exceed Utilisation targets to get ahead.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for overall

Managing Consultant (Former Employee) Manchester, England

ProsThe people at IBM are some of the best you can work with in the consulting industry - knowledgeable and personable.

ConsAs with most consulting companies, IBM struggles with people outside of london locations, making it more difficult to be visible when connecting to others in your community.

10 years in

Software IT Architect (Current Employee) Manchester, England

ProsWorking for IBM SWG gives you opportunity to explore your career, manage your own time, make your job your own, you work where you need to be - flexible

Consthere is a lot of reporting done, you have to be a good corporate citizen, you are not well supported when taking a risk on career path exploration, they try very hard to minimise your pay, they do not give you pay rises often even when you change role, work life balance can be an issue, development investment is minimal, they do not supply you with the tools to do your job (BYOD), reviews on achievement focus on the figures only. They talk a good talk on culture and values but this is lip service, senior management do not drive and support it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow a pair!! be stronger, stick to your guns on what you believe is right for IBM and your teams, stop it with the relentless pursuit of spreadsheet management, get rid of the chaff faster - can't or won't do your job.. then out ya go!

Good place to work

Client Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsIt's a good place to work. The company treats employees well and there's opportunity to move around and change role. I started as an engineer changing hard drives and monitors. I'm now working in sales as a Client Manager.

ConsIBM are probably the worst payers in the industry. If you're motivated by money this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many processes

Used to ne the best but no longer

IT Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsThe people! Cant be beat, but we are being beaten down

ConsFocus on share price, people are commodities to be disposed off or used as required.
    Stupid PBC bell curve means that each year people slip. 45 hours work required or else, only paid for 37. Payrises only for high performers, but with bell curve less of those each year.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up! people made this company, only people can save it.

Big Blue is Big

ProsDynamic, Many opportunities, many methodologies available.
    A strong culture, "you are an IBMer"
    Top clients

ConsIBM is huge
    You may be "mister nobody"
    Need to position yourself every 6 months
    consulting lifestyle
    Driven by metrics

Lots of opportunity but its hard to even have a deckchair let alone chase them around the ship

ProsFlexible work locations, wealth of knowledge

ConsEverything is a battle, globalisation

Faded glory

Intern (Former Employee) Winchester, England

ProsThe letters 'IBM' look impressive on a CV but they shouldn't be. (Theoretically) you get to work on some fairly high-profile projects.

ConsMy department was disorganised and unmotivated. The staff seemed in no hurry to change or improve and were perfectly happy to do their 9-5 and keep their head under the radar.

Few people showed initiative or took innovative risks. It seemed like the day job was a competition to see who could be noticed least.

Morale was rock-bottom. The US management were threatening to lay people off because sales weren't good enough. Well, of course they weren't! Not with that attitude and lack of enthusiasm.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your staff better so you can exploit their talents. Otherwise they just get bored

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!