IBM

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

(2,882 ratings)

10,000 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Management allows me to work from home and have flexible working hours"
    in 1053 reviews
  • "Work/Life balance and they still have some of the smartest people in the industry"
    in 1013 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance has magically morphed to work/life integration meaning your life is your work"
    in 319 reviews
  • "Practitioners on the other hand literally abuse the "Work from home" culture and "Sick leaves""
    in 74 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent career start

I have been working at IBM

ProsGreat people who are very supportive in career path. Provide opportunities to enhance your career and grow with world class training.

ConsLarge corporation processes and challenges. Internal processes need amendment as it is very unproductive. Slow to react onto changes internally.

Great client experiences, Professional and Fun colleagues, but a terrible beureaucratic machine with poor ongoing reward

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent client projects
Great people
Amazing reputation

ConsAwful clunky systems and processes
Recognition and reward practices are based demonstrating actively an input above and beyond your colleagues....less about actual client feedback
Poor offices

mehh

Business Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

ProsVery good people that are a great joy to hang out with, especially in the graduate program.
You have access to big clients and the stakes are quite high

ConsSalary is way too low and you get very disappointing "bonuses and salary uplifts" even if you perform top.
Bureaucracy and stratification kills every creativity or desire to do anything. No grassroots are truly empowered, unless they are grassroots organised as part of a top down strategy on a specific topic.
Culture and management are completely outdated for a tech company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the advice to management is not enough, there probably needs to be a strong change of management with a completely different view of how we do business and treat employees.

Started off great thirty years ago when employees were valued, over the years shareholders became more important.

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAbility to work from home which gives flexibility. It gives good training to students but as soon as they become really useful many leave as the company culture does not value long term employees.

ConsHas become expense driven with managements sole focus being on earnings per share. Product development is compromised as costs are ruthlessly slashed. People are seen as an unnecessary expense.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you focused on your employees then you would find that customer satisfaction and earnings per share would take care of themselves. There is no long term vision of where the company is going. Management is solely worried about what the stock markets will say.

A good place to work, but no longer great.

IT Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Proslots of software firm acquisitions mean vitality of people and technology
excellent work-life balance, with lots of scope to work from home etc
very good collaborative culture - easy to access expertise and network

Conscutbacks in everything as we try to meet our 2015 market EPS target
payrises, training, team events, promotions all severely limited thanks to cost-cutting
expense policy is draconian
hard to get promoted as there are many career IBMers waiting in the pipeline
direct to market model under much pressure and Cloud changes the economics of IT
many many processes - learning curve on these is steep
culture often favours those who know the process, or know the right person rather than talent

Advice to Senior Managementstart rewarding people what they deserve or you will be left with low calibre staff
stop chasing short term targets and really deliver the agenda set by senior management

Where Innovation goes to die

Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is a great deal of flexibility in where you work and the hours you work. As someone with a family, it's easy to step out for an appointment or help out when my wife is sick.

ConsThere is no innovation. What was once a strong suit, job security, is no longer because of the outrageous focus on Earnings Per Share at the cost of all else. Ridiculous amounts of buearacracy and hierarchy makes getting anything done dang near impossible. I joined through an acquisition 4 years ago and couldn't wait for the day to leave. Talking to friends who are still there, it is only getting worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop it with the stupid EPS focus. Focus on your customers and your employees. The EPS will increase if you are able to improve your bottom line, and you can't improve your bottom line without strong customer relationships and a strong team to build those relationships.

You may have heard of the IBM of old that looked after its employees. I don't know what happened to that company

I have been working at IBM full-time

ProsI'm still quite surprised at the freedom given to work where and how you would like

ConsAlthough there is a lot of freedom, admin processes are restrictive

Advice to Senior ManagementLess algorithmic management (PBC rankings)

A difficult Decade at a Company which has been transforming the world for a Century

I have been working at IBM

ProsWorking with some great people in a truly global environment, highly-respected Company doing work that truly matters, flexibility to organise work and life priorities

ConsVery limited local or individual autonomy for decision-making, 'control & command' culture pervades

Advice to Senior ManagementTo really engage with employees you need to be willing to understand, accept, acknowledge and relate to the impact of decisions on them in a more realistic and demonstrable way.

A company that truly does not care about its employees

Software Developer (Current Employee)
Southampton, England

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

ProsLaid back atmosphere, and stress-free environment.

ConsA huge corporation that comes with all the negatives with few of the positives. Has a mindset that is decades behind its peers, very stingy on pay, bonuses. Worst of all they treat employees as an expendable product and are happy to let their best employees leave if it saves them money.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees and you'll have a team of staff who actually wants you to succeed.

Cheep

First Line Support (Current Employee)
Greenock, Scotland

I have been working at IBM full-time for less than a year

ProsWill take anyone so you end up with a bunch of kids who don't know the first thing

ConsWill take anyone
very low wage

Advice to Senior ManagementSalary reviews needed

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for IBM CEO Virginia Rometty. All 10,000 reviews are posted anonymously by IBM employees.