IBM

3.2 10,000 reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

(3,358 ratings)

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights
10,000 Employee Reviews

Employees extremely profession and technically competent.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

Pros“Excellent resources to conduct product development, manufacturing and research facilities and tools to conduct first class research and development. Company provides many sources to learn…”

Cons“In recent years, opportunities to travel to conferences have diminished…”

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your minions.

My experience has been goo

ProsIBM is a big organization..professional, process oriented and very flexible work culture

Conspromotions are slow especially if you are in GD, Salaries are much lower than Industry standard

Advice to Senior Managementalign the pay structure at least with the industry. pay attention to career goals and aspirations

Great for grads, otherwise pretty dire

Anon (Current Employee) Portsmouth, South East England, England

ProsStay long enough, you'll get reasonable severence
    Excellent productivity tools
    Fantastic colleagues/great team
    Generally, a supportive and encouraging first line management team

ConsPressure on management to downgrade at annual appraisal
    Bonus/pay freezes
    YoY 10% expense (headcount) reductions, if you aren't in a growth region/in a Center of Excellence your job is probably at risk
    Crazy working hours

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove silos
    Stop the constant headcount reductions - cull then allow the team to recover - you can't be prodcutive and innovative when depressed

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Big company with all the opportunities you could imagine, even some that you couldn't

Analyst (Former Employee) London, England

ProsVery good sharp people around you to share intelligent conversations with. Good set-in-stone processes so it is quite easy to learn the ropes, especially as there are teamrooms to capture most processes. Of course you feel like you are working for a prestigious company and know that it will look great on your CV. Hot desking keeps your weeks versatile.

ConsSurely should be offering free food, no? Lotus Notes is a dinosaur, the whole word is moving to Outlook. Very talented people given simple jobs, which are bound to bore them.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the blatant favoritism. this is work not school.

Good internship with IBM UK

Technical Presales (Former Employee) Warwick, West Midlands, England

ProsWhile I cannot speak about the rest of the company as a whole, the internships give you the chance to work on real world problems in a truly unique environment with truly unique people. The opportunities to experiment in different roles away from your comfort zone. You choose how you want to develop, you could get through this just by "doing your job" but by giving that little bit more you can make your time exceptional.

ConsThey cannot offer anyone who works to an exceptional standard during their internship a position on the graduate scheme.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the ability to move people directly from the internship to the graduate scheme, otherwise keep up this excellent work.

IBM is changing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsHardly any pros. The marketplace is changing, but IBM holds different values high.

ConsToo much pressure, too few training an career opportunities, hardly any benefits, employees burning out.

Feeling the company, process and structure works to prevent you from doing the job

User Experience Consultant (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGood clients, good projects, opportunity to travel, opportunity to work with some incredibly talented people, possibly still a good name to have on CV

ConsNo creative leadership, no coherent team structure, feels like you work as a freelancer, lack of the right tools, lack of the right digital support, death by incredibly confusing admin

Advice to Senior ManagementNot sure any advice would be heard let alone actioned

Just horrible

Project Manager (Current Employee) Manchester, England

ProsOpportunity to work from home. If you can get you manager to agree.

ConsResource Actions are now continuous in IBM. Executives are fixated on reaching an EPS of $20 per share and are in slash and burn mode. Moral is at an all time low.

The focus appears to be on taking out high cost employees.

The only innovative engineering you will see in the organisation is financial.

No pay rises. Bonuses are a joke and not worth putting in the effort for. 0% for all but a chosen minority this year. Career opportunities just don't exist. Costs are being held down so promotions are rigidly controlled by Human Resources.

PBC results are done behind closed doors and subjective. Definitely not SMART. Cronyism is rife and you will need to kiss butt to keep you head above water.

No work life balance, just as much free work for IBM as you can do. Remember the scare of constant resource actions.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you reach the 2015 Roadkill target what are you going to do? It looks like the market analysts are starting to turn against you. Financial engineering will only get you so far.

The hiding of information/half truths and mixed messages are a total put off.

Exciting, Interesting

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGlobal Transformation Projects, Interesting People, People focused management.

ConsPolitics, Sometimes wrong people get promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour doing a good job!

IBM

Software Engineer (Former Employee) London, England

ProsLoved it ! Everyone was very nice and I came to work happily

ConsWhen I had to go home :(

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!