IBM

3.2 10,000 reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

(3,362 ratings)

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights
10,000 Employee Reviews

IBM

Software Engineer (Former Employee) London, England

ProsLoved it ! Everyone was very nice and I came to work happily

ConsWhen I had to go home :(

Great place to build your career in IT

IT Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

Pros- Great work life balance.
    - Opportunity for learning new technologies.
    - Good brand name as well.

Cons- Many untalented people specially managers are around. They never grow up technically but politically and causes huge bottleneck to entire environment. Also these people help removing the talented people out of the company by their strong lobby. -Ve thinkers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone of my business.

Good place to work

Client Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsIt's a good place to work. The company treats employees well and there's opportunity to move around and change role. I started as an engineer changing hard drives and monitors. I'm now working in sales as a Client Manager.

ConsIBM are probably the worst payers in the industry. If you're motivated by money this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many processes

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to ne the best but no longer

IT Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsThe people! Cant be beat, but we are being beaten down

ConsFocus on share price, people are commodities to be disposed off or used as required.
    Stupid PBC bell curve means that each year people slip. 45 hours work required or else, only paid for 37. Payrises only for high performers, but with bell curve less of those each year.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up! people made this company, only people can save it.

Big Blue is Big

ProsDynamic, Many opportunities, many methodologies available.
    A strong culture, "you are an IBMer"
    Top clients

ConsIBM is huge
    You may be "mister nobody"
    Need to position yourself every 6 months
    consulting lifestyle
    Driven by metrics

Lots of opportunity but its hard to even have a deckchair let alone chase them around the ship

ProsFlexible work locations, wealth of knowledge

ConsEverything is a battle, globalisation

Beware the Peter principle!

Product Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland

ProsWell paid. International travel options. Camaraderie with (same level) colleagues. Terrific technical innovators. Good Senior Management (and by that I mean the Board in the US - not the Country/regional management 'yes' men)

ConsHighly political working environment. Managers more interested in their next move than you (or the job at hand for that matter). No management training (other than 'how not to get IBM sued') A need, not only to play the game, but to be SEEN to play the game. You ARE a number (PS mine was 16882 if you're interested)

Advice to Senior ManagementJunior and middle managers - MANAGE your people and not JUST the business!!!! Treat your employees as people rather than 'tools'

A company to be proud to work for!

Managing Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat team, awesome people and Watson

ConsSalary and continual pressure to do more / better / always be on the limit

Advice to Senior ManagementStart with Why (Simon Sinek)! Forget Utilisation targets and learn to value people and their contributions. Innovate, research, push boundaries like Smarter Planet. Utilisation / Targets were at their lowest in the 60s and IBM's sales team were the best in the world! Give people freedom and space to innovate and exceed expectations. Don't force people to exceed Utilisation targets to get ahead.

Good company to work for overall

Managing Consultant (Former Employee) Manchester, England

ProsThe people at IBM are some of the best you can work with in the consulting industry - knowledgeable and personable.

ConsAs with most consulting companies, IBM struggles with people outside of london locations, making it more difficult to be visible when connecting to others in your community.

GOOD

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat place to work. Great benefits. Co-workers are genuinely nice people. Much less political wrangling than I've experienced at some other places where I've worked. Lots of great new products and content. It is an exciting place to work and they value their employees.

ConsIt is an American company, so if you work in EMEA, it is sometimes challenging to keep track of the latest developments that are happening in the US. This issue is not really specific to IBM, but is a basic challenge when working in the UK for an international company that is head-quartered in the USA.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!