IBM

12,337 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,930 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

Big, Slow and Wasting Talent

Current Employee - Business Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in London, England

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

> Some exciting projects.
    > Surrounded by very competent people.
    > Balance between work and life is pretty good.

Cons

> Despite the company having very capable employees, IBM neglects, underpays and stops them from being creative and doing great work. It is probably why they have such a hard time retaining their talented employees. I've noticed the majority of them go towards or are looking at Accenture/Deloitte after a few years in the company.
    > Very slow procedures, takes ages to get anything done.
    > Education and Training is seen as an expensive.
    > Strange politics within the company, which stops you from being innovative and creative. Makes it very hard to get . recognized for your work.
    > Internal software known as 'Lotus Notes' and 'Connections' is absolutely terrible. Makes working more difficult.

> Encourage the training and development of employees. In addition, it would be excellent to see the company promote further education such as MBAs.
    > Improve the clunky and slow Lotus/Connections
    > Allow younger employees the chance to be creative and implement new ideas. Interns/Graduates are largely neglected.

Very inconsistent for Graduate roles

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some great people working at IBM. A lot of very talented and inspiring minds.

Cons

The Graduate Consultant role in the UK is really shoddy. It's basically glorified temp work for more money.

Have a little more faith in your juniors.

Used to be a great company, now a shadow of its former self.

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in London, England

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Variety of roles, some good people.

Cons

Everyone thinks they are the boss, and so nothing really gets done.

Get rid of dead wood managers.

3 Years

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very busy !
    Great customer focus
    Lots of very clever people

Cons

Lots of process and control

Take more care of employees

I had an amazing career at IBM in 2 countries and many technical and sales roles developing a broad set of skills.

Former Employee - IT Service Sales in London, England
    Former Employee - IT Service Sales in London, England

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

IBM has a lot to offer for individuals who are ambitious to develop their career. IBM adds most value and delivers the strongest in complex business opportunities and projects. It is offers a good range of perks like pension, car allowance etc.

Cons

You have to look after yourself as that is expected by IBM who used to look after their employees when I started at IBM in 1984 much better.

IBM should prioritise and look after its employees better and not let their objective of achieving its 2015 revenue per share get in the way of everything else, sometime including customers.

Good place to start career

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of training, experienced team of mentors, interesting sector.

Cons

Old building, travel not that exciting locations, not the best compensation.

Quite weird that it has not yet crashed and shut down

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working from home on Fridays (and sometimes other days as well)
    Looks good on CV (although I have a very strong feeling that may be short lived)

Cons

No strategy at all - if the market has a tool called outlook, they build a replica called lotus notes, if the market has google analytics, they build tealeaf...they somehow always build tools that were around 5 years ago rather than tools to solve a current problem.

There is a lot of hype about small achievements. In fact some of the hype I would be ashamed to associate with. Example is an innovation award for someone who made the timesheet tool work on mobile. I can't believe they would win an innovation award in 2014. If it was 2004, I would have happily applauded.

IBM is a time bomb waiting to explode. Thankfully I got out before there were 400K people out there searching for jobs.

You need to make it a policy that no person from within IBM is allowed to be CEO. They simply cannot have leadership skills due to the work culture where you need to be scared all the time to succeed in IBM.

Currently there is this fear in all employees that managers try to instill which not only demotivates people, but makes them feel like they should not be proud of doing a good job and the only thing that matters is politics.

There are still some people who are very good at what they do, although that is becoming increasingly rare within this company as demonstrated by the number of accounts failing and customers pulling out due to poor quality of work. Message to IBM - if you use the good people wisely, you still have a very very small chance of surviving the next 10 years.

Work life balance depends on the account you are in. Most programmes are on the brink of being pulled out of IBM and its very difficult to be part of these dying programmes. For the first time, I know what it is like to slowly start dying. Quite depressing.

More and more people are calling up helplines for depression and the environment is slowly becoming quite unbearable for most people.

The whole company is a mistake. It should not have been given an opportunity to succeed and then create this blackhole of extremely political and incompetant people (who keep patting each other on the back and calling each other 'great people' for some reason)

Stay away from GBS Service Line

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I worked at IBM full-time (less than an year)

Pros

IBM on your CV
    Flexible work location

Cons

Lack of HR, Onboarding, Offboarding, Timely pay of expense, remuneration
    Lack of organisation
    Lack of leadership
    Lack of teamwork
    Lack of motivation
    Over worked bureaucracy for getting anything done

Stop pursuing customer and sales lead and take a look around at your crippling organisation! People are complacent, and management just keeps their head down and exclusively pursues sales opportunities with little regard to how their people are developing or could potentially contribute.

Another brilliant in-house IT team outsourced to IBM. Less than 25% still there after 12 months.

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job security, challenge, opportunities, variety, travel, big name employer, reputation, looks good on a CV.

Cons

Virtually non-existent management of it's people and what there is comes from a 'must-do-it' process. I spend about 30 minutes per year with my manager (because he has to). All IBM cares about is selling more services and profiting from pimping out its highly skilled employees to any big business with more money than sense and paying its employees as little as it can get away with. Like a great number of IBMers (horrible horrible horrible phrase) I was TUPE'd in following a penny-pinching outsource exercise which took a brilliantly run IT team of about 30 on-shore individuals from a large telecoms operator and offshored most of the roles to India. A year later, two thirds took the money and ran, a quarter are still there (deeply unhappily so) and a three of us took up new IBM placements. Predictably, outsourcing has now stopped at the operator as a result of poor feedback. The feeling of belonging does not exist at IBM. The only reminder I have that I work for IBM is when you see advertising boards at tennis matches saying 'IBM'. They couldn't give a damn about employees as long as they bring in revenue and keep their clients quiet. I could go on and on all day. Suffice to say, if IBM threaten to outsource your job, take the money and run.

Start caring genuinely about your key asset, ie your delivery employees. Without them IBM is nothing but expensive suits talking a good game, chasing ever larger salaries. The market for IT experts is picking up all the time and your staff are voting with their feet. I feel zero loyalty to IBM and will happily move on when the right opportunity comes along. IBM only works for those gifted in self-promotion. The promotion process relies on you spending 60+ hours of your own time typing in evidence into a ridiculously cumbersome home made system to give the business some idea what you actually do. Seriously. That's how well they know you.

Worst technology company I have worked for in my 25 year career

Former Employee - Technical Solution Specialist in London, England
    Former Employee - Technical Solution Specialist in London, England

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Large company with a lot of career avenues to go down if you don't mind the cons (see below).
    High amount of 'Life' in the 'work/life' balance (because of the cons .. see below).

Cons

Highly bureaucratic company where staff are measured on their conformance to internal procedures and not measured on their ability (at least in software group sales).
    Poor pay with limited ability to gain annual raises that meet salaries of smaller technology companies.
    80% of employees focus is driven to be internal and not external on their customers where it should be.
    Very low innovation compared with the movers-and-shakers in the technology world right now.
    Very difficult to actually get anything done with any speed due to the bureaucratic culture.

Move with the times. You are fast becoming outdated, if it hasn't happened already.