IDG Enterprise

IDG Enterprise Reviews

Updated 14 September 2014
Updated 14 September 2014

Michael Friedenberg

Poor middle management and upper management. Misconception that outside people hold the answers.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA (US)

I worked at IDG Enterprise full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits were always good.

Cons

When I was there outside management came in, hired their friends, let go anyone they did not know. My department head liked to take the department out as an excuse to get drunk. Never really understood where we were, what we had accomplished, and what the future would hold. Just wanted to delete anything that came before. When that happened, by firing people and hiring over priced consultants, other people in middle management were scared, said nothing, did nothing -- just sat by and saved their own jobs. Many good people were affected. I learned that my real friends were not the ones I thought. Working there was my life. I thought that my co-workers were like family. Eventually my department head was indeed let go and now the company is worse off for it and paying for her incompetence. I don't think they will learn from the past and are doomed to repeat it. I still stay in touch with some people there and wish them all the best.

Respect. Listen. Acknowledge. Learn. Trust. Empower. Seams pretty obvious.
    They need to keep things flat and not obsess on the "marshmallow on the stick" -- nod to a Ted Talk by Tom Wujec.

Understand your own work style to know whether this is a good match

I worked at IDG Enterprise full-time

Pros

You'll do well if ...
    - you work best when you are busy
    - you are an entry-level employee who works hard
    - or, if not entry level, you have reached a career level that is satisfactory to you
    - you are happiest taking direction from others
    - you see office politics as an unavoidable fact of life and you know how to navigate that environment
    - you thrive in a sales-driven company culture. Some companies have a dominant department such as engineering, customer service, editorial - at IDG it is sales all the way.

Also worth noting, the benefits package is very strong.

Cons

You should look elsewhere if ...
    - you want to try new ideas
    - you grow your skills and knowledge, and expect career advancement as a result
    - you are frustrated by politics or stovepipes, or by very lopsided treatment of one department versus another

Two examples of the corporate culture may help.
    1) The annual employee survey always finds employees are unsatisfied with the level of innovation. This is because new products or suggestions from employees run into standard walls - "we don't know if it will work" being the main one. Management's response to this complaint is to hold an "innovation summit" meeting where they explain that the company actually IS innovative. All the ideas demonstrated are those generated by upper management, based on things they've seen others doing already. Yes. No changes in policy or process, no effort to increase innovation, just a meeting to tell employees their perception is wrong.
    2) IDG has an operating review board meeting a couple of times per year - the founder Pat McGovern, many business unit presidents and so on - hearing presentations from departmental leaders. The departmental leaders invited to the meeting are coached very specifically that the goal is to have NO questions and NO discussion. So all these smart people are in the room, but the value to the company is zero. That seems to be an unfortunate wasted opportunity that could instead generate new and useful ideas.

The business unit has a new president now, which might help. He is well-liked and more balanced toward departments regarded as overhead i.e. 'not sales'.

On the other hand, Pat McGovern passed away and some people feel there will be even less regard for anything other than profit. The company still has some print magazines and when those are finally shut down, there will inevitably be another round of layoffs, particularly in editorial, production, circulation, and ad trafficking, but perhaps in other groups as well.

Retrain middle and upper management on how to support new ideas, instead of killing them. Innovation is a well-studied process and IDG makes the most basic mistakes.

Shoddy business, no understanding of how to treat employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA (US)

I worked at IDG Enterprise full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers, close to 90 for easy in and out commuting

Cons

Mismanaged employee comp system, no concern for employee morale, little room for advancement. You work here for a short time after college to get basic office experience and move on, definite concern over overall company business plan

Literally any effort towards making the work environment slightly favorable would go a long way to reducing turnover. Don't massively cut the budget to the one summer outing provided and then hold a company meeting the next day boasting record profits

Great people.

I have been working at IDG Enterprise full-time

Pros

Environment, people, flexibility, benefits, location.

Cons

Compensation, growth opportunities, collaboration among the departments.

great company, benefits

I have been working at IDG Enterprise full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has thrived despite general economic conditions. It's smartly managed and has maintained a good portfolio of tech publications. Benefits are very good. Health care excellent. Retirement is 401K, and while there is employer contribution, you need to save aggressively. Management thinks clearly, communicates often with employees, and is very connected with the broader publishing industry trends. People have left and returned. Professional environment with high standards. Thoughtful place that's open to employee feedback. People are friendly.

Cons

As with any place that offers a decent salary and benefits package, the risk is that you may become risk-averse about taking on new challenges with a different employer. The internal promotion path is less than clear.

Just keep doing what you're doing.

Great people to work with, short sighted vision

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA (US)

I worked at IDG Enterprise full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible work environment and a fantastic team of highly qualified editorial folks.

Cons

Low pay and a lack of innovation from senior management. There was so much talent there yet everyone was stuck chasing page views and reacting to google over producing interesting, compelling content.

Take advantage of what sets you apart and stop relying so heavily on traffic. Your target audience is looking for access to insight that will make them look smart in front of their bosses, not a page on junk content that happens to loosely fit their search terms.

I work as a sales officer for the events of the company

I have been working at IDG Enterprise

Pros

Very open and friendly co-officers
    Flexible time

Cons

The style of management is not very good

Managers at high level should take care more of temp officers and give them more chance to develop

good company with good products but bad communication

I have been working at IDG Enterprise

Pros

part of idg with solid fondation in b2b products and product development

Cons

i found the internal politics difficult to take, the communication cycle is poor

communicate better, be more open to individual techniques for helping business

Decent benefits

Current Employee - Executive Editor in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Editor in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at IDG Enterprise full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, free bagels on Friday

Cons

Corporate is very page view focused, but doesn't set clear goals. We missed what the company wanted without even knowing we were failing.

Some good, some bad.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA (US)

I have been working at IDG Enterprise full-time

Pros

The CEO is a good guy and enthusiastic about his company.

Cons

Depending on your group, you could be working with some great people. Alternatively, you could work with completely frustrating and difficult people - and that will make every single day pain-staking and exhausting.

When people quit - REPLACE THEM. Leaving open vacancies for years on end piles the work onto the people who are left, who will inevitably quit because they're no longer happy.