IKEA

IKEA Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

IKEA CEO Peter Agnefjall

Peter Agnefjall

Pros:
  • "Great benefits, Store Manager who really cares about everyone, fun place to work"
    in 46 reviews
  • "It has great values, strong work/life balance, and a unique culture"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "They pretend to care about a work life balance but they could care less"
    in 17 reviews
  • "coming from a part time you will not choose to do a full time job or work more hours"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fantastic company with a great culture and benefits!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at IKEA part-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Subsidised canteen
- Pension plan
- Benefits including interest free loan, yearly gift etc.
- Good bonus scheme
- Free uniform
- Good for CV and to talk about in other interviews
- Opportunity to move up quickly
- Good company values
- Safe company, do not think it will ever go out of business!

Cons- Can be quite a chaotic place on busy days
- Often understaffed, when co-workers leave often not replaced

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that there are always enough co-workers to deal with high volume selling of stock and customers.

Stressful

Co-worker IF (Former Employee)
Leeds, England

I worked at IKEA part-time for less than a year

ProsI was able to obtain overtime very easily, however... when i wanted to simple work my basic contracted hours, it was "a huge let down" of me to leave my team hanging.

In addition, the 15% discount is very useful.

ConsWorking in IKEA, is very stressful, as there are not enough staff members to cover each area of the department. it was not fair to put so much pressure on a young task force.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need to look at the stress levels in each department, and assess if more staff need to be employed as opposed to profits being reinvested into krokant and repurchasing products that are high in waste.

Overall positive

I have been working at IKEA full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWork / life balance is good

ConsCareer pathing leaves much to be improved

IKEA Tottenham

Tottenham, England

I have been working at IKEA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNo pros what so ever with IKEA Tottenham.

ConsNo bonus scheme
No flexibility in shifts
Very strict in requirements
Low levels of professionalism among senior staff
Break times are often abused, and not monitored for fairness and equality
The senior management team are seen as fairly distant to the majority workforce
Heavy handed favouritism is common on a daily basis
Staff are not able to question or challenge a decision, but to simply 'follow orders'
Managers are constantly changed around and theres no chance for managers to get to know their team
IKEA Tottenham has nothing in place for development or training
No learning and development opportunities at all
Some managers can be seen as racist, and always talk in their own language with other managers around their associates
HR department in IKEA Tottenham is practically non existent. Existing staff there now are clueless, misguided, and judgmental. Poor decision making by them leading to many complaints. Clearly visible are low levels of commitment, determination, and general intelligence in HR

Advice to Senior ManagementStart with the senior steering managers, introduce performance improvement plans which will then filter down to middle management. Very poor at this.
Bring in a store manager that can speak clearly and communicate well with the majority of the workforce
Introduce a bonus scheme
Lower the levels of animosity in the store and encourage development

Happy, fun and dynamic place to work

Customer Relations (Current Employee)
Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at IKEA part-time for more than 5 years

ProsIKEA treats its staff very well and compensation is above average for shop work. They also offer great perks such as annual gifts and tertials.

ConsThere are a lot of middle managers and their policies do not always align. The holiday system sets out that months you can take holidays and you cannot use them all in the summer months.

IKEA Tottenham store is not a true representation of IKEA LTD.

London, England

I have been working at IKEA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe IKEA culture, if executed correctly is excellent. The business allows for you to move easily between positions, be it in store or to a different country. An emphasises on training to improve is also excellent.

ConsNo bonus scheme, salary for managers not competitive enough. IKEA Food Commercial managers are paid less than sales managers, despite a legal obligation for food safety, as well as managing a larger number of co-workers than sales departments.

Fantastic company culture

Intern (Former Employee)
City of London, England

I worked at IKEA

ProsIKEA has a great company culture with flat hierarchies and uncomplicated communication. The employees really identify with their employer, even more so because the company is actively committed to ethical and environmental standards. Many of the co-workers have worked their way up from the bottom and there are many opportunities to try out something new in a different department. Relationships among employees are very friendly and people from all different levels mingle and exchange information during work-hours and special events. Co-workers are given a lot of freedom to develop their own ideas, although the company expects them to also take responsibility in return.

ConsSalaries are rather low. Career opportunities might be limited in the UK because the head office is not that big.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great team atmosphere but limited career prospects

Co-Worker (shop-Floor) (Former Employee)
Leeds, England

I worked at IKEA

ProsCommunication from management is direct, positive and personal. Employees are encouraged to attend the daily morning-meetings and announcements made tend to be divided fairly between business and personal (sales figures are discussed alongside birth announcements and so on). Criticism is accepted and responded to, often quickly.
I found the atmosphere at IKEA to be highly friendly and welcoming. Large tasks are not dumped on one individual; it was common for each department to send co-workers to help with deliveries, or to help with re-building display items as a department was redesigned. This was mostly reserved for outside store hours for obvious reasons.
Management themselves seem to be highly transparent, the management impediment between myself and "The Board" was four deep (department, store, uk, global). Communicating above your direct manager is not discouraged, but also not actively encouraged, you're likely to be told "Great idea, have you talked to your manger about it?" if you do.
One of the main benefits I found was the freedom to work without a script. Think X would go better with/in/at Y? Do it. Think a customer needs more help than usual? Go help them. No customers about? Have wheely-chair races if you're bored. You have pretty much full jurisdiction over your own department.
The store canteen is worth a mention. Although there are fewer healthy options than might be desired, the food available is good, service is quick and heavily discounted. Not free, but we're talking £1 for a full meal. Much better than any other place I've worked.
Health and safety was a major concern, with everyone being briefed properly before being let out onto the shop floor. The uniform mandates a safety knife and steel-toecapped boots for everyone, with roving duty-medics and a dedicated medical room. One of the first things said to me while on the shop-floor was "At IKEA, we don't catch glass. Let it fall then sweep it up. Your hands are worth more". While it was practically unheard of for anyone to suffer abuse in the store, there was also a security team who would respond within two minutes to any call to the emergency number.
Although the conscience of IKEA can be called into question with the highly-visible (and low value) charity spending, the environment is highly considered. Recycling is split into glass(separated into clear, broken, frosted and coloured)/plastic(separated into hard, banding and polystyrene)/paper/cardboard/wood/metal/landfill, with landfill being padlocked and requiring authorisation from the loading-bay co-worker. The lighting is also dimmed from spotlights to energy-saving strip lights outside opening hours (lighting is needed for stock deliveries and cleaning).
Security is also highly fair. The co-worker entrance hall has a random buzzer that everyone must press when leaving. If it buzzes, they must empty their pockets/bag to make sure they're not stealing. This applies to everyone, unilaterally. The store manager must also submit.
There were also dedicated meditation/prayer rooms, two store-funded department parties plus one store-wide party per year, free eyecare and massages available. Not bad for retail.

ConsWorking on a small department, you will spend a lot of time either alone, or dealing with customer requests. There really aught to be at least one person to supervise the department at all times and that can leave you with a queue of customers and furniture left to build. During quiet periods, this does give you a lot of freedom on the department, but can also be terminally boring.
The hours available can be very long, 10-12hour shifts being common. There is a lot of flexibility when needed though, such as catering for people with children at school leaving at a specific time, or students working holidays. Breaks are enforced however, if you don't take an hour for your lunch or the full short-break entitlement its expected you'll leave early or take longer next time.
There is no real opportunity for advancement. Departments take little managing, and managers will often train co-workers on systems such as stock management (really due for an update guys, lets have a GUI at least!) and paper reporting, but no real pay benefits are given for this management work.
Ever found yourself lost in an IKEA store? I totally understand. The store layout at Leeds was particularly odd being a prototype single-storey store. So many customers would ask for help after going around in a circle three times due to the path taking a right-turn at a blank wall, right next to a short-cut backwards. The external-warehouse this layout necessitated also confused customers, who would return to the department after ordering and paying for only half their order. While a customer was never rude to me or anyone in my department, I can completely understand their frustration.

The pay also wasn't great.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage your co-workers to stay with financial rewards. You have a lot of great people working with you, but they still need to pay the bills.

Great place to growth

Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee)
Gorizia (Italy)

I have been working at IKEA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA complex organization where everybody can challenge,do mistskes and grow

ConsIt's hard to get processes lean

Advice to Senior ManagementBe always driven by value ... The rest will follow...

Local Marketing Coordinator

Local Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee)
Madrid (Spain)

I worked at IKEA as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGood environment. A lot of work to do but manager will try to help you to balance your personal and professional life.

ConsNot many possibilities to grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementLow wages.

Worked for IKEA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IKEA reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for IKEA CEO Peter Agnefjall. All 447 reviews are posted anonymously by IKEA employees.