IRS
www.irs.gov Washington, DC 5000+ Employees

IRS Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

John Koskinen

Pros:
  • "Manageable workload, great for work/life balance"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Working for the federal government provded good benefits, flexible hours, job security"
    in 25 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lack of communication amongst different departments, leading to double or unecessary work"
    in 4 reviews
  • "The downside is that there have been a pay freeze, hiring freeze, and furlough"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very nice coworkers, GS-13 $87k pay, Low stress, Job security

IRS Revenue Agent GS-13 (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at IRS full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMy GS-13 pay starts at $87k and goes to $113k after 20 yrs (unless I get a GS14 spot $103k to 134k, or GS15 $121k to 157k), nicest coworkers and I've ever worked with, 8:00 to 4:30 type hrs, low stress and low layoffs (even if older or with health problems), at GS13 level I deal with companies, 4 weeks vacation a yr, many holidays, good health care, could spring over to other federal agencies (such as FBI or IRS CI), can telework (work 50% to 90% of the time from home). No sales (so no need to spend $100k over 30 yrs on alcohol, or $100k on golf/tennis, or pay to be on boards of nonprofits, or expensive cars or clothes which cost $200k over 30 yrs, no need for dishonest selling or trying to make yourself look better than coworkers, no bullying). Women, minorities, and short people can become mngrs or senior mngrs (don't have to be tall white and good looking). Poor kids from nobody colleges can get hired into federal govt with accounting degrees, but rich kids sent to namebrand colleges with easy degrees can't (unlike many large companies).

ConsHard to brag outside of work (white men and women disapprove of you working for the IRS especially in republican states, but minority women are impressed). People in cities with good economies and many large companies view working for the federal govt as a downgrade, but people in small cities or bad economy cities admire you and tell you to never leave the federal govt. Previously GS-13 would retire making a retirement of around $70k per yr for life (a $1.5 million value), but future retirements are less $s and are uncertain. IRS is hiring less now, but they are hiring computer majors in many locations, as well as accounting and attorney positions in Wash DC. At lower GS levels (5,7,and 9s) they have to deal with the hostile general public and small business owners (GS 12 and 13s deal with a larger company's CPAs or attorneys which is less hostile).

Advice to Senior ManagementMngt (GS14) currently spends little time assisting revenue agents (hands off), and they spend much time doing mandatory admin and writing reports on what agents do, plus analysts (GS14) make statistics of what agents do, and senior mngrs (GS15) review stats and reports. So too many chiefs and not enough indians.

Great

Clerical (Former Employee)
Stoneham, MA (US)

I worked at IRS full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible time off; generous sick and annual leave; TSP match

ConsCongress using us as punching bags

Advice to Senior ManagementBe supportive of personal issues outside of work

Good training, Great people

Data Transcriber (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at IRS as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe people and training are A-1. They really want you to succeed in your role and make sure you have all the available resources to do so. It has a very laid back atmosphere. There are also many disabled and elderly people employed, which I think is great. If you can do the job, the IRS doesn't care too much about anything else. They take not discriminating to a whole new level. Good pay; flexible schedule; SUPER co-workers.

ConsI do sometimes feel like I am back in grade school due to the micro management. Not the healthiest environment--many very obese people employed, which comes with sitting and snacking all day, I suppose. No dress code so people show up any way they choose. Term position so can be laid off at any time. No insurance coverage with short term employment. No loyalty....you are just a cog on the wheel.

Advice to Senior ManagementYes, some people are immature and unprofessional but many of us are not so each case needs to be treated accordingly.

Interesting

Clerk (Former Employee)
Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at IRS full-time for less than a year

ProsWorking side by side with supervisor and, customer service rep. Also having a government job you have great benefits and other like a union.

ConsNot being trained to do the job correctly.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore Clerks should have better training.

Bang for a buck

Internal Revenue Agent (Current Employee)

I have been working at IRS full-time for more than 3 years

ProsProbably one of the few, if not the only 40 hrs a week job for tax professionals.
Minimal supervision. Good benefits. Learn a lot about tax laws and tax research.
Salaries COMPARABLE(not so competitive)to big accounting firms but due to only 40 hrs a week, more $/hr

ConsNot necessarily the most beloved govt agency.
Easy to be vilified by the public.
Budget constraints.
Dumb Congress

Advice to Senior ManagementDear Member of Congress,
We are the A/R and Collection department of the U.S govt.
If you give us less operating budget, we give you less budget.

I loved working for the IRS.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
Oxon Hill, MD (US)

I worked at IRS as an intern for less than a year

ProsIRS is the best, the environment and the people are great.

ConsMy department was small and sometimes it will only be me working in the office.

An agency in decline

IT Specialist (Current Employee)
Lanham, MD (US)

I have been working at IRS full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benifits. Flexible work schedule. Great career ladders.

ConsRigid heirarchy. You need to fill out 3 forms to get anything done. Old technology. Zero work place culture. Lack of funding for projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart getting people to retire. Backfill with young, energetic, tallent.

Overall very rewarding. Last few years were painful.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at IRS full-time

ProsPerks and benefits, annual and sick leave, liberal leave, tele-work.

ConsAging workforce; knowledge management is poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake every opportunity to allow employees/managers to move to different areas of the business to learn how everything works.

The pros and cons of the IRS

Internal Revenue Agent (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at IRS full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat training, great way to learn how to interact with different individuals and helps you comprehend tax law easier since you will be working with it on an everyday basis. Great hours for those workers with families.

Conspay, work environment and lack of appreciation for their employees.

Great Job, Great Benefits!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at IRS

ProsI really love the environment!

ConsI have no cons concerning employment with this company.

Worked for IRS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IRS reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for IRS CEO John Koskinen . All 290 reviews are posted anonymously by IRS employees.