Illumina

Illumina Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Illumina CEO Jay Flatley

Jay Flatley

Pros
  • You get to work with a lot of smart people, and the amenities of the new campus are great(in 11 reviews)

• cutting-edge research organisation, very nice work culture with decent socialising events for employees(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The worst middle management I've ever had in my professional career, the work life balance(in 18 reviews)

• No work life balance, getting more bureaucratic(in 5 reviews)

A bit chaotic but worth a look

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

Pros- Beautiful campus
    - Many smart people
    - Continuously trying to improve

Cons- No free snacks!
    - Fast growth has led to patchwork levels of maturity in business processes, policies, capabilities. You have to land in the right group.
    - Fast growth has resulted in many people managing more than their skill set supports.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on hiring the best of the best.

Located in the heart of San Diego Biotech center.

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsPay rates are very competitive.
    Near UCSD and many other Biotech companies.
    Currently the leader in gene sequencing.
    Good experience for Biochemists.

ConsCompany is growing too fast for management to mature.
    Cheaper technologies threaten dominance in gene sequencing.
    Not a good place to work if you do not have an advanced degree in biochemistry.
    High churn rate. Best employees ping-pong with Life Technologies (competitor).

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Fast paced and making a difference

Scientist I (Current Employee) La Jolla, CA (US)

ProsThe people I work with are amazing. Incredibly supportive and brilliant. One of the reasons I enjoy my work so much is because I really enjoy the group of people I interact with on a daily basis.

ConsMany of the projects appear very under resourced. It appears that it is very hard to advance within the company. Illumina hires outsiders instead of promoting within.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ever-changing constantly, some cool people, thriving, but needs a little more organization & stability.

Planning (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsGood thing they have money to keep expanding. The VP is pretty cool. Endless Summer Concerts with free lunches on some Fridays are nice.

ConsThey seem to struggle a bit with stabilizing processes. Why not hire the experts who really know how to set up infrastructure? Maybe there are experts, but people keep finding bugs. Can't seem to get things done right and some of the people who seem great are really not that great. They cling onto job security, are passive-aggressive, but management doesn't even know or let's it continue.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange for the better is a good thing, but things change so often that it's hard to keep up at times. Also, don't just believe that the core team is that great. Sometimes they are the problem. If someone needs people skills, just push them to take management class or ding them on their performance review.

Great Company

Scientist I (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsPioneered DNA sequencing and SNP detection related research.

ConsSmall size company and still growing

Great work environment

Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsVery smart people to work with.
    Great campus.
    Products have impact on human health.

ConsVery tight deadline,
    Lot is expected and not enough resources ( need more employees) to accomplish work.
    Too many projects with same deadlines.

Advice to Senior Managementreduce the number of projects the company is working on

A good place to work

ProsStrong sense of values and grasp of what it will take to keep growing. They have their eye on the prize for sure.

ConsConfused culture. It's a young company entering its teenage years. They need to identify what it will take to really retain their talent...especially as they grow.

Project Managers beware

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGrowing industry, hiring loads of employees, fabulous building and campus with cafeteria and gym, great benefits

ConsPoor office politics with lots of gossip, very cliquish environment among employees who have worked there for years and do not accept new employees or new management processes. The Marketing dept actively rejects project management processes. I keep hearing the phrase "that's not how we do things here." It's a shame such an innovative company is so short-sided to corporate management processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't promote emotionally unstable people to management.

Technician III

Data Technician III (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsVery great campus, with all amenities, great people. The work done here is remarkable. This place has all the room to move up into business. It will always be in business. Great staff of people and customers are very trained along with fabulous Customer Service.

ConsLong wait for passwords, networks when your new employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say more "Company" days where the relaxation of coming in to work is felt on certain days. More company activity's to create bonding between departments along with departmental development.

At the cutting edge of DNA innovation; however, be careful not to trade quality for velocity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsVery responsive to employee surveys regarding concerns. Provides ongoing training & education. Promotes a fun, open and high expectation working environment for all employees. Numerous amenities offered to employees at San Diego headquarters.

ConsGrowing quickly, but does not have correct infrastructure and procedures to support that yet. Should focus more on Information Technology capability gaps in order to realize full potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrive for innovation must also be balanced with maturity of that rapidly advancing technology.

Worked for Illumina? Contribute to the Community!