Illumina Reviews

Updated 28 September 2014
3.9

Illumina CEO Jay Flatley
Jay Flatley

Pros
  • Fast paced, well well-thought our solutions/processes (in 13 reviews)

• You get to work with a lot of smart people, and the amenities of the new campus are great (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, challenging to get ahead with all the great people (in 19 reviews)

• No work life balance, getting more bureaucratic (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Research and Development
    Current Employee - Research and Development

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

It is an extremely successful business with highly skilled and driven employees. Great opportunities to learn from some of the best in the industry. The benefits are top notch but the pay is average which has in part been compensated for by the great stock performance recently.

Cons

There is a lack of career paths outside the headquarter but this seems to happen in other companies as well. It is difficult to get promoted from within so try to join at a high level. Sometimes overlapping or competing projects at different sites.

Streamline communication between the different offices, provide clear career paths and guidance for employees.

The experience still haunts me sometimes.

Former Employee - Not Applicable  in  Cambridge, East of England, England
    Former Employee - Not Applicable in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a progressive company which issue shares to tie you into your role. So you can see how much effort you put in to how the company grows. In this respect, it gives you a sense of achievement overall. It is also one of those "life time opportunity" to be within a technologically forefront company. When I left university, I aspired to be in such a company. I came into this company mid-way through my career. There was a semi-friendly culture, but it conflicts with one's loyalty as the organisational chart kept changing.

Cons

The turnover rate was quite high. As I joined after the merger, and there was a period of respect between all colleagues, until you start to see individuals being taken out of the running. Then some kind of culling occurred for some reason. I was also caught up in the political organisational changes, such that I felt very marginalised, and also disrespected. I also realised that my contribution within those long email chains, often advices or trialed and tested solutions that came from years of experience from my side, was then taken as some kind of new ideas or achievement on the US side. It often were from the sales team who were more aggressive and came across as running the company to be honest ! It really was about US HQ, and no actual understanding of contribution on the Europe side at all. People got more annoyed as their contributions were not acknowledged and skillsets were stripped away. Or rather, "copied" away. It is one thing if you made clear who was in a project and who was not. But when the boundaries are so undefined, then yes, it seems almost like setting up the employee to fail.

I like you to know that, you managed to take away some of the very well respected managers who grew the original small companies before the big merger. That was a very big mistake. You potentially had some of the very wise and solid professionals who stood strong in this industry and ensured the security of the company, and you let this be mismanaged away by some very disrespectful and arrogant, and untrained under mid-30s professionals. Some of approaches used were even unlawful !

I was surprised to find out that another colleague also took out a loan to supplement actual business trips to sell the products, and we are still in debt due to this. The salary was unjustified. Looking back in hindsight on Glassdoor here allowed me to see how naive some of us were in reality. You did not even look after the basics right. Allowing employees the most basic tools, without impacting their own personal and financial statuses.

Also, you overworked your operations staff such that, I saw one woman fainting because of meeting your quarterly goals. Please ask yourself whether you are a true ethical company or not. Because if you were, then the ethical aspect starts on the inside, and that also mean following the employment laws ! Working under a set number of hours and no more, and bringing in health and safety laws too without burning out your own employees. Instead of perfecting some of the needed basics to keep employee happy and healthy in a steady way, the emphasis were put on the bottomline.

I would also check the ethics and the professionalism of some of your senior IT managers. As I understand that a few of them joined and migrated from another bio-tech company. Yet, I saw one male manager who was absolutely unprofessional and harassed a young intern verbally, such to a high extent that, he rechallenged him back with a knife ! This was during a company meal,on an off site support trip. What kind of people are you hiring ? This is not the kind of company that I want to work for. And yes, this same high level Director just saw Jay as a face of the company and no more. Well, at least I believed in science, and I believe in what Jay say ! There is a huge difference between those who are from science backgrounds and believe in the company to those who just want the prestige and the title or the money.

Excellent scientific challenges

Former Employee - Bioinformatics Scientist
    Former Employee - Bioinformatics Scientist

I worked at Illumina full-time

Pros

cutting-edge research organisation, very nice work culture with decent socialising events for employees. Perks include: free gym membership, healthcare, stock options

Cons

limited movement/advancement within organisation. Scientific progress is possible, but organisational improvement is hard. Possibly the side-effect of an organisation grown to global dominance. They have a habit for taking researchers straight from PhD studies and paying them little more than a postdoc salary.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Small company, large aspirations, life changing potential

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Being involved in a revolution of genetic analysis & understanding. An industry on the cusp of a human revolution. A leader in the industry.

Cons

Work / Life balance can be challenging at times. Growing pains of a small company becoming an enterprise but well understood and being dealt with.

Innovation and progress on the forefront of genomics

Current Employee - Scientist  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Scientist in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than a year

Pros

Illumina values innovation and progress greatly. The work environment is quite dynamic and allows for growth of the individual. It is the frontier in a fast-growing industry.

Cons

Depending on what team/part of the company you are in, you might have to deal with some internal politics, but then again that is the case almost everywhere.

Changes Science and Medicine

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Illumina offers the ability to be part of a company that is truely changing the was people will be treated with life threatening diseases from personized medicine and therapy to early diagnosis. Also, the culture here is very collaborative and offers opportunities in all different areas as the company continues to grow and expand into new markets such as Oncology, Software, Reproductive Health, Life Sciences, etc. This is company for people that like change....that like a challenge....that like to learn!!

Cons

As the company continues to grow and expand, we are constantly looking at ways to more efficiently scale. This sometimes forces us to be reactive vs proactive.

Keep hiring great people and diversifying who we hire.

Great

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Illumina is a good company to work for. The work is fast paced and engaging. Good benefits and nice campus, and smart coworkers.

Cons

The work here can move really quickly which makes prioritization very important, and understanding that you can't get everything done all the time.

Growing really fast

Current Employee - Intern  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Company is really fast paced, a lot of work if you like to stay busy, and has a relaxing outdoor campus.

Cons

Not enough resources, understaffed, lack of tools to expedite work processes, and there aren't a lot of opportunities for employee outings to make new friends.

Practice what you preach.

Amazingly innovative company - great place to be!

I worked at Illumina

Pros

Smart people, important products, great campus

Cons

No work/life balance, challenging to get ahead with all the great people

Totally satisfied with my work at Illumina

I have been working at Illumina as an intern for less than a year

Pros

liked the work, culture, wide range of opportunities

Cons

I don't see any cons so far.

Worked for Illumina? Contribute to the Community!