Illumina Reviews

Updated 20 October 2014
3.9

Illumina CEO Jay Flatley
Jay Flatley

Pros
  • Fast paced, well well-thought our solutions/processes (in 13 reviews)

• You get to work with a lot of smart people, and the amenities of the new campus are great (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, challenging to get ahead with all the great people (in 19 reviews)

• No work life balance, getting more bureaucratic (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Growing really fast

Current Employee - Intern in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Company is really fast paced, a lot of work if you like to stay busy, and has a relaxing outdoor campus.

Cons

Not enough resources, understaffed, lack of tools to expedite work processes, and there aren't a lot of opportunities for employee outings to make new friends.

Practice what you preach.

It doesn't get better than this--- great company, great products, great people!

Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wow- where to begin..... this is an amazing company- filled with dedicated and genuine people. My colleagues are here because we are changing healthcare in our lifetime. Coworkers are earnest, driven and real. Very low ego company.....it's not about the politics, it's about the people whose lives are changed using our technology.

I've been at Illumina for three years- yes, it has a few growing pains. All companies do. The difference is that management here genuinely cares and tries to remedy pain points.

How many companies do you know that take time out for a competitive dodgeball tournament, concerts in the amphitheater, the occasional happy hour, and gives employees a paid week off before July 4th (in addition to the paid company shutdown in December).

Yes we work hard- but we are doing really important work....and I know that the work done will at some point, change the course of a family member's illness or treatment in the future. No complaints from me.

Cons

None- beautiful campus, competitive pay and beneftis, challenging but rewarding work.

Keep it up!

Amazingly innovative company - great place to be!

I worked at Illumina

Pros

Smart people, important products, great campus

Cons

No work/life balance, challenging to get ahead with all the great people

High Tech- High Class

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Highly intelligent yet humble people.
    Fast paced, well well-thought our solutions/processes
    Beautiful Headquarters Location
    Opportunities for growth

Cons

Long hours are not uncommon

Keep the lines of communication open

Totally satisfied with my work at Illumina

I have been working at Illumina as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

liked the work, culture, wide range of opportunities

Cons

I don't see any cons so far.

Everybody was really passionate about what they did and I loved it!

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Illumina as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible times, good people, nice campus.

Cons

Contractors don't get a lot of the benefits (like using the gym...)

One of the best companies to work for in San Diego

Current Employee - Staff Business Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Staff Business Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tons of time off. There are two company shut downs annually (summer / winter) where you get at least a week off that doesn't count against the regular paid company holidays or your regularly accrued vacation time.

The facilities are amazing. The buildings are beautiful with a lot of amenities. The gym is great and has a lot of equipment and is very open. The locker rooms and shower areas are first class. The convenience of the iCafe for fresh meals, salads and everything else you could want. The coffee shops, and the free coffee pods in all the breakrooms keeps you going!

The pay is very competitive, especially if you are granted stock. Between bonuses, salary, equity, benefits, 401K match, employee stock purchases, the total compensation package is very good.

It's an innovative company that is exciting to work for. The speakers and seminars are current and interesting and it's exciting to understand what other parts of the business are doing to contribute.

Cons

As the company grows, it's becoming more bureaucratic because of the new global business processes and committees you need to get approval from before working on projects. The ability to innovate and move quickly is hampered.

Manage the ERP implementation more carefully. This change alone has the ability to paralyze the company. Don't get rid of best in class applications like SalesForce in an effort to bring everything under one SAP solution. SAP is a kludgy system comprised of acquired systems and isn't a single architecture. It is cumbersome and requires highly paid consultants to make changes and fix breaks. The future is cloud-based, multi-tenant SAAS solutions. It would be great if Illumina had a dedicated CIO.

Innovative, Smart, Driven and Passionate. What more could you ask for?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are passionate about what you do, hard working, like to be challenged, and aren't intimidated by working with a bunch of people smarter than you, then you will likely love working at Illumina. The consistent growth at Illumina provides tremendous learning and opportunities for growth. In addition, sr. management really listens to their employee and customer feedback and implements real programs to address concerns.

Cons

Illumina is not for everyone. It is predominantly Type A, driven personalities that typically thrive in a start-up, low structure, high-paced environment. The sense of urgency is always high, and so are the demands on high quality work. This permeates the culture so if this doesn't describe your personality, you are probably better elsewhere. Other than match, the other challenge is that Illumina is no longer a start-up, and now must prove it can succeed as a larger organization with more complexity, increased processes, etc. This will not be an easy process, and some may not be up for the challenge.

Keep up the great work, stay close to the business, and keep listening.

Company that is changing the world and lets you keep your personal life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Very open environment, upper management is approachable and friendly
    - Lots of opportunities to stay physically and mentally fit while at work (pickup soccer games at lunch, mindfulness class, organization sports tournaments)
    - Great pay and stock options are very lucrative as the company continues to grow
    - Company is making a major difference in how healthcare will evolve over the next decade, it feels great to be a part of a company that is truly changing the world

Cons

- Many business process are still in start up mode and need to mature (this is being addressed by an internal program, but progress is slow)
    - Some expectation of constant availability

Have a larger vision of where we are taking our information systems and how we can utilize this amazing data we have

Great work environment with incredible people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture at Illumina is one of a kind. The company really embraces core values such as innovation and collaboration, allowing them to be extremely agile and move quickly to position themselves as leaders in the market.

This creates an energetic and motivated environment. There are high performance expectations, but with that comes the reward of working in such a positive, exciting atmosphere with INCREDIBLE people.

The leadership additionally, does a great job at recognizing and rewarding employee contribution- both at the management and senior leadership level.

Cons

With extreme growth definitely comes challenge- the organization moves VERY quickly and sets high performance expectations. People who don't thrive in a high-change, fast-paced environment will likely not enjoy it.

Keep doing what you're doing.