Illumina Reviews

Updated 25 August 2014

3.9

Illumina CEO Jay Flatley
Jay Flatley

Pros
  • You get to work with a lot of smart people, and the amenities of the new campus are great (in 11 reviews)

• cutting-edge research organisation, very nice work culture with decent socialising events for employees (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The worst middle management I've ever had in my professional career, the work life balance (in 18 reviews)

• No work life balance, getting more bureaucratic (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Unfair treatment to contractors

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Comparatively, Contractor gets good hourly pay.

Cons

Contractor is not allowed to use the gym and not the shower room. So they say company gym cannot cover contractor safety. BS! We can just sign the wavier. However, permanent employees need to sign the wavier, too. So if you normally exercise in the morning, or after work, contractor position at illumina will just make you feel miserably unfair.
    The whole company setting limits the networking and feeling equality for contractors. Being a contractor feel sucks! You will hear, "I'm sorry, you are not allowed to (gym/meeting/etc.)..., since you are a contractor" a lot. It just feels horrible. NOT feel like a part of the company at all.

Cutting edge chaos!

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good industry dominating products.
    High level of collaboration and communication. Great coworkers and demanding customers(but in a good way). Feels like a sense of purpose, work that is doing good and make the world a better place. Management I report to is very hands off and supportive. Technically challenging and fun. I can say I'm one of few that that finds contentment in a 9-5 job.

Cons

Pay and benefits slightly below average. Lots of growing pains in the company, feels chaotic and with roles/processes changing so frequently it's hard to keep up. Parts inventory system is largely ad hoc, constant shortages are the norm. Lots of silly mistakes in documentation, lack of effective processes. Optical based technology although works well, can be dethroned quickly if a competitor comes up with a disruptive technology that is cheaper/faster/simpler and produces good accurate data.

Don't reinvent the wheel, many of the needed processes already exist and are being used everyday by companies. Continue to heavily invest in future technologies, never ever rest on your laurels. There is a tendency for successful companies to become fat/lazy/complacent, else, go the way of Eastman Kodak.

What's all the complaining about?

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I keep reading reviews about the horrible work-life balance and how people work endless hours. Then why is the parking lot mostly empty before 9am and after 6pm, and a ghost town on weekends? Don't believe me? Just drive by and see for yourself. Perhaps maybe by San Diego standards Illumina is a demanding employer. Can't get my afternoon surf in, oh my. By most other measures the workload is moderate at best. Contrary to other reviews, the politics are not overwhelming, and collaboration is pretty good. Never had an instance of asking for help from another group and not getting it.

Cons

So many layers and titles. OMG! For a company with 2000 people, new scientists and engineers can count at least 11 layers of titles between themselves and the CEO. It is absurd. Decision process is not particularly crisp, but not to the point of getting in the way (too much). Benefits are decent but middle-of-the-road at best. Payscale is on the low side, they can probably get away with it for a while as the dominant company in a hot field, and as long as the overall stock direction is up. Internal systems are either non-existent or abysmal. Fortunately senior management knows it, is fairly open about it, and is working on a solution

Push decisions down the chain of command. Seems that directors wait for VPs to decide, VPs wait for the SVPs, and the SVPs waffle until Jay speaks up. If there is one organizational thing that can endanger the future health of the company, it is this very issue. So add "decision making" to the GBP process and institutionalize a healthy level of decision ownership at the appropriate level.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great, Till I was laid off

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Great people, good money, poor management

Cons

Long days and short nights

Get a clue

Challenging.

Former Employee - Lead Manufacturing Technician  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Manufacturing Technician in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Learning how solutions can heal cancer.

Cons

Cycle count in a -20 freezer.

Give more protective gearing when entering -20 freezer.

Profoundly Disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Illumina as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Some nice, positive people. Great campus and cafeteria. They are into supporting altruistic causes.

Cons

Disorganization, paranoia, and sabotage seem to rule the day.

Stop treating employees, contractors with disrespect.

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Good benefits. Great products. My direct coworkers were nice. Very consistent 9 to 5 kind of job.

Cons

Didn't see much growth. Hayward felt like the step-child of the company, always had to prove that we were worthy.

Project Manager Intern

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great people and atmosphere. It is a huge company that is really at the forefront of groundbreaking technology. The position was fun with a lot of flexibility and responsibility. Great mentors.

Cons

Desk job so there was not a lot of interaction with other employees.

Don't let the great products fool you

I worked at Illumina full-time

Pros

Illumina has cutting edge products and is #1 in every market that it competes in.

Cons

Illumina suffers from executives who have not grown with the scale of the company and therefore think they are better managers/leaders than they are. It is much different to manage 100 employees vs. thousands. Execs need to lead by example and inspire others for the demanding work they place on their employees desks. The company is a bit of a country club where the execs reward each other and are very demanding of their employees with little rewards other than the stock price continuing to go up. I remember asking an exec one time if we should benchmark against other companies and their response was "We don't need to benchmark, we're Illumina." Overall I would descrite the culture as stuffy, arrogant with a depressing work environment.

Double-down on process and leadership. Hold your executives accountable include getting feedback from their employees.

Excellent Learning Experience with Good Pay

Current Employee - Technical Applications Scientist  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Applications Scientist in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent compensation
    Great growth opportunities
    Colleagues are very intelligent and motivated
    A great challenge
    On site gym including group classes
    Decent cafeteria
    Beautiful campus

Cons

Can feel like a small fish in a big pond
    focus on improving instrument quality
    Improve customer experience by tailoring products to how our customer use instruments and software. Sometimes it feels like these are not designed with customer in mind

Continue to improve customer focus

Worked for Illumina? Contribute to the Community!