Illumina

Illumina Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Illumina CEO Jay Flatley

Jay Flatley

Pros
  • You get to work with a lot of smart people, and the amenities of the new campus are great (in 11 reviews)

• cutting-edge research organisation, very nice work culture with decent socialising events for employees (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The worst middle management I've ever had in my professional career, the work life balance (in 18 reviews)

• No work life balance, getting more bureaucratic (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

No Work Life Balance

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsLocation of company
    Campus environment
    Facilities
    On-site gym with multiple cafes
    Equipment provided to employees for their use

ConsAll work, all the time, all day, night, weekend long
    No career development from what i can see, just a lot of smoke and mirrors
    Incredibly elitist and arrogant attitudes by most of management
    Management acts as though its a privilege for anyone to work there
    Micro management all the time

Advice to Senior ManagementWe have a life outside of Illumina
    There are other companies just as good
    Stop your self-centered focus on your equity
    Trust employees
    Recognize technically sharp managers are not the greatest of people leaders

Market leader in Life Science Technology.

ProsGreat company culture to in a fast changing industry

ConsGrowing pains from growing from a smaller company to a larger organization

R&D Development

Development Engineer (Current Employee) Hayward, CA (US)

ProsFast paced & hectic at times.

ConsLot's of politics and favoritism. A company in decline technologically.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the days when the people that brought you innovation were held in high regard? What happened?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

DNA Research

Genotherapy (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsGreat Pay, Friendly stuff, Beautiful work environment

ConsNothing yt is has been a great experience

10 Years going to Illumina to work.

Manufacturing Technician III (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsStock given to me.
    PTO is good system.
    good benefits.
    steady job for ten years with increases first ~8 years.
    Good I cafe.

Cons24/7 work non stop manufacturing.
    Very stress filled & mad people on your back.
    very political environment after 8 years as Illumina grew.
    no system of promotion to next level, all political or friendship based.
    HR provides no balance for employee grievances.

Advice to Senior Managementwaste of time as long as the stock is great they could care less.

hell in genomic paradise

R&D (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsIt is a great place if you want to make a contribution in the development of genomic technologies that will have a real impact in society

ConsUnfortunately, the company suffers poor management. There is lack of recognition, you have to work long hours, the culture and values only exist in paper.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart considering employees humany suffer beings

A waste of time if you are a mid-level+ employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsYou get to work with a lot of smart people, and the amenities of the new campus are great. This is an ideal company for someone that is fresh out of college that still needs to gain skills and be micro-managed.

ConsThe worst middle management I've ever had in my professional career, the work life balance. A lot of politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease work on your middle management issues, and realize that seasoned employees that have several years experience don't need to be micor-managed.

Fast paced, positive environment. Everyone is excited bc the co. is #1 and no competitor is close in the market

Research Associate (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsFast, innovative, rewarding, positive, and advanced environment

ConsThat the new gym and amphitheater are not built yet ;)

Experience that is comparable to that of a nightmare

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTop performer financially in the industry. Genomics is a great field to get into as the technology develops and there will be an ever increasing demand worldwide.

ConsTrying my best not to sound like another “disgruntled” employee, there are very serious and legitimate work issues and experiences I had with this company. As far as a workplace goes, a one star review is appropriate for Illumina. My time at there can be best described as torture and unbearable, with treatment being terrible and outright unfair and unethical. As a place to work, it is the absolute worst I have seen, and I am no stranger to tough, high expectation environments. Little reward with unreasonable expectations where your ability to make political alliances matters 100%, and work and quality are not even considered. 72 hours a week or so and no work life balance is requested of you as standard operating procedure. Be prepared to be abused for the privilege of working 72 hours a week, as working that much (or more) for this company gains you nothing unless you are a part of the popularity management clique. Most of the mid level managers do not know the industry and are encouraged to push their employees to the breaking limit, rather than foster and reinforce teamwork and quality work. Executive staff at this company are amongst some of the most despicable human beings I have ever met (meaning zero ethics, no consideration of their employees, only concerned with making numbers, no care for quality of work, end products, customer satisfaction, or employee treatment).

As a side note at the mid level, be prepared to deal with no one ever willing to take responsibility for their own work, or no one ever willing to make a decision and stand by it for fear of repercussions from above.

Don’t be fooled by the recent influx of five star reviews. Illumina HR is coming in here and posting fake positive reviews. They are using buzzwords from the Illumina Core Values and other Illumina HR documentation. One review before this one says to pass this place up…and I couldn’t agree more.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should have let Roche acquire you if not for the sake of creating some operational stability and foresight. Greed of management is really the only thing that is clearly showing through, and as a result company is not doing as good as it has before.

This industry leader in Next-Gen Sequencing provides fast-paced, high impact, career challenges

Senior Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsCulture of innovation
    Open communication channels
    Industry leading products
    Products being used to improve human health
    Strong R&D pipeline

ConsPace of change and rapid introduction of new products can make "keeping up" quite challenging

Advice to Senior ManagementDo less hiring from outside and more internal promotions

Worked for Illumina? Contribute to the Community!