Imagination Technologies

Be The First To
Add Photos

Imagination Technologies CEO and Director Hossein Yassaie

Hossein Yassaie

Great company full of interesting work

I have been working at Imagination Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFriendly environment with people really passionate about their work. Plenty of variety day-to-day and you never feel without a challenge. Great transport links, easily commutable from London.

ConsSalary increases are sometimes unclear and perhaps a little less than competitive with similar jobs. Career progression can also be somewhat of an unknown.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job, keep it up.

Good job bad pay

Leading Design Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Imagination Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery good and challenging job
Good culture

ConsBad pay
Poor management of engineering resources

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay to engineers (atleast be competitive).
Better internal processes

Wonderful people, fantastic culture, low pay, very expensive area.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Imagination Technologies full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat, collegiate atmosphere. Friendly people. Active sports and social clubs. Easy to commute to/from London, only 20 mins into euston station. Fantastic canteen facilities.

ConsIt is located in the London commuter belt, so if you plan on living close to work, you get all of the cons of working in London, without the benefits. It is a very expensive area to live in and they do not pay London wages. Mostly male employees and located in a very quiet area.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere you are located, you are competing with a variety of employers in London for engineering graduates. Competing positions offer significantly higher salaries, in better locations, with a structured career advancement and defined pay rises, not just the promise of a pay review. If you want the best, you should do this. The only reason not to give graduates an approximate figure of what they can expect to be earning in a few years time is if the chances are that it won't be much more than what they started on.

There is no shortage of highly qualified, hard working, enthusiastic engineers in the UK. It's just that they work in the city. Unfortunately, there are a shortage of engineering companies in the UK willing to pay staff what they are worth.

Worth doing for a while, no prospect of progresion

Design Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Imagination Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe job is incredibly stable - you could possibly spend your entire life there if you wanted to, and you do get to be a part of the development of some pretty well-respected products.

Me recommendation comes with the caveat that you move on once your responsibilities and experience outgrow the recognition you get from Imagination, which will typically take a couple of years.

ConsYou probably would spend your entire life at the grade your graduate adjustments ended at with no changes to pay or job title, even if your work responsibilities started to creep up over time. The pay is far below average for the sector and it's supposedly made up by the share offerings (Which Hossein says not to worry about when they hurtle downwards like a gold medallist at Sochi).

The culture has changed over 4 1/2 years - it went from feeling like 'the worlds biggest startup' to giving the feeling that they cared more about projecting an image than looking after engineers (the new buildings would look nice to a customer, but are 100% completely useles if you have to actually produce a product).

Advice to Senior ManagementPay better and listen to your engineers - they're a great bunch but they're just leaking away to Cambridge

Laid back; hard problems to solve, yet bad pay; management prioritise non-engineering problems in an engineering company

Software Design Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Imagination Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAlmost all jobs here revolve around designing hardware or writing software for that hardware. That's a fun and challenging thing to do if you're into it.

There's a decent canteen, a decent 'campus' including fancy new all-glass buildings, easy transport links. Most of the people there are ok. Bad people don't get weeded out, so if you can't be bothered working you only have to work harder than the bottom rungs of the ladder and you're safe. It's the corporate form of tenure, I guess. (From my point of view: this as a pro. From a corporate point of view it's probably bad for the bottom line)

Also: They give you free doughnuts/pastries on a Wednesday.

ConsSuffering growing pains as they become a large international company. e.g.

*They insist on buying loads of random companies all over the world rather than paying their current staff more.

* HR + admin continually create pointless and dangerously ambiguous rules and then issue them as some kind of iron-cast declaration. Most of them do nothing but makes managers happy but they all outright ignore the common engineering worker, which is a massive detriment to the company. They're essentially trying to PR spin their own employees into thinking they have it better than they have. We moved into a new building about a year ago and we went from an "anything goes" environment to not having more than X number of PCs present on our desks (In an environment where people regularly have about 3), no more than 2 monitors, NO WHITEBOARDS, no coat hooks, only 1 set of power sockets, no real segmentation of space and privacy as everything is made of glass (in a profession that is probably 90% introvert). Absolutely no thought was given to what the actual software and hardware engineer's environment that we'll encounter on a daily basis. It's completely stifling to work in. This is a huge negative in terms of the everyday working practice, but the people in the admin office think it makes the place look nice (they got some fancy sinks for their fancy new bathrooms!) so it's best we go along with it.

* The wages are generally bad. The CEO and Board are happy to say they don't care about the share price, and yet stock is an essential part of the financial compensation, meaning the overall 'pay' is often terrible and in some years the employees have a massive flux from the last as the stock dives from £8 to £1.50.

* The company has an absolute lack of regard for an employee's progression and skill development in the company. They hardly bother changing anyone's title, even if they've been there years and out-grown their old one. In their small start-up days this would have been fine, but we're a company of 1000+ now, it'd be nice to have some recognition for our work.

* As mentioned, they don't weed out bad and useless people, meaning you have to deal with some complete idiots who are nothing but a waste of time and energy. We've had school-level interns join us, knowing nothing about what we do, and still manage to outperform some of our employees. (coupled with the lack of job titles means you don't know if the person you're talking to in another team is of any use or not)

* Some of the software process is a joke, such as the way bugs are dealt with, and there's a complete lack of respect from management for creating proper tools, even though they're the lifeblood of every employee. The software teams just cobble them together themselves, get shouted at for "wasting time" on this tool, yet receive no praise when the entire company gets years worth of man hours as a result. (e.g. objanal is a saviour, and yet not a single team owns it. Even the hw-sim and hw-design teams use it). There's no enforced teaching material for new people, which just completely wastes experienced engineer's time as we retell people the same thing every time. Any attempt to create a division wide teaching syllabus has been shot down. (protip: Every engineer in the software department works on the exact same thing). We also have entire teams dedicated to completely overengineering our drivers (services!) and due to fearmongering from the higher-ups we can't even open source our drivers, meaning the linux community hates us.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the bad employees. Give their pay to everyone else (i.e. better pay for everyone else). Give more respect to the engineering environment and realise that admin staff who can't even type emails in decent English shouldn't be setting the engineering environment that the company depends upon.

My dream job... up to the pay

Hardware Design Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Imagination Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery nice and inspiring working environment with interesting and challenging tasks to work on surrounded by very talented people.

ConsGood heavens, the pay! It is the lowest salary in the market (compared to similar companies like ARM), they don't pay overtime (that you do regularly, at least 5 hours per week) and the fantastic medical package with which they justify the low pay is literally useless. It covers nothing that the NHS doesn't cover, not even basic dentistry (not even check-ups), and you still have to go to your NHS GP first (and wait for weeks for an appointment or for death, whichever comes first), and the only thing it really does is to allow you to choose a specialist rather than taking the one your GP wants. Literally just that; and you have to pay extra for your spouse and kids. Besides, the company is only 30 miles from London, which means that you won't find a decent one-bedroom flat for less than 1000 quid per month. Also, London Midland (railway) is disproportionately expensive. That makes the low salary seem even worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe products you're so proud of and that are making the company grow are developed by your bright and hard-working engineers. If you don't stop paying them that bad, you're going to lose them. How can it be that your sales and marketing people (bachelors, maybe a few masters) are paid twice as much as your engineers? Without your engineers (all masters and even phds with honours and years of experience), there would be no products for them to sell.
And stop treating your engineers like scum. Jolly, throwing out all microwaves in a building full of engineers and with no external visitors just because "somebody" allegedly complained about warm-food smells! And with what efficiency! I wish you would react that fast when your employees complain about uncomfortable, old chairs, too little desk space or bad keyboards!

Very positive, enjoyed working their a lot and everyone was very friendly.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Watford, East of England, England

I worked at Imagination Technologies as an intern for less than a year

ProsFriendly and supported atmosphere, social events and as treat Wednesdays, and the food at the canteen was surprisingly good as well.

ConsThe pay is fairly poor for their competitors and they do expect you to work hard, but that is reasonable.

Pleasant Experience, but lacking substance

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Imagination Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent team work environment (at least in my office)
Company with strong leading presence in the market
Opportunity to work with current and next generation graphics

ConsPay increase not properly explained, shares scheme takes too long and not currently paying out, job opportunity seemed exciting but turned out into boring projects most of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementClarify pay increase

good working place, can be better

Design Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Imagination Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt is a freindly environment. geat people to work with. Location is good, easily accessed by public transportation.

Consnot very clear career path. The hierarchy in the company seems frozen. Maybe have to stay in the pose for quite few year.

Flexible environment with interesting work for those who seek it

Design Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Imagination Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsThe open environment amongst engineers together with the breadth of activity provides a technically exciting atmosphere. Technical discussions are easy and information can be sought from other parts of the company with no barrier. Any active interest is never discouraged.
There are many able and skilled engineers.
The new building is excellent, furnished to a high standard. The canteen provides good quality food with a lot of variety.

ConsThe open culture between engineers is adapting to change due to expansion. The company has expanded rapidly and some of the infrastructure is still adapting. The expansion makes career paths somewhat unclear however it does provide opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company expands, be sure not to lose sight of the many great engineers working for you.

Worked for Imagination Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Imagination Technologies reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Imagination Technologies CEO Hossein Yassaie. All 42 reviews are posted anonymously by Imagination Technologies employees.