Imagination Technologies

Updated 11 December 2014
3.2

Imagination Technologies CEO and Director Hossein Yassaie
Hossein Yassaie

Pros
  • Some interesting projects to work on; hw and sw teams are closely collaborated; easy to commute to london; colourful sports and social activities (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • salary is very less as compare to industry standard (in 3 reviews)

• low salaries especially for people living in london (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Laid back; hard problems to solve, yet bad pay; management prioritise non-engineering problems in an engineering company

Current Employee - Software Design Engineer in Kings Langley, England
    Current Employee - Software Design Engineer in Kings Langley, England

I have been working at Imagination Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Almost all jobs here revolve around designing hardware or writing software for that hardware. That's a fun and challenging thing to do if you're into it.

There's a decent canteen, a decent 'campus' including fancy new all-glass buildings, easy transport links. Most of the people there are ok. Bad people don't get weeded out, so if you can't be bothered working you only have to work harder than the bottom rungs of the ladder and you're safe. It's the corporate form of tenure, I guess. (From my point of view: this as a pro. From a corporate point of view it's probably bad for the bottom line)

Also: They give you free doughnuts/pastries on a Wednesday.

Cons

Suffering growing pains as they become a large international company. e.g.

*They insist on buying loads of random companies all over the world rather than paying their current staff more.

* HR + admin continually create pointless and dangerously ambiguous rules and then issue them as some kind of iron-cast declaration. Most of them do nothing but makes managers happy but they all outright ignore the common engineering worker, which is a massive detriment to the company. They're essentially trying to PR spin their own employees into thinking they have it better than they have. We moved into a new building about a year ago and we went from an "anything goes" environment to not having more than X number of PCs present on our desks (In an environment where people regularly have about 3), no more than 2 monitors, NO WHITEBOARDS, no coat hooks, only 1 set of power sockets, no real segmentation of space and privacy as everything is made of glass (in a profession that is probably 90% introvert). Absolutely no thought was given to what the actual software and hardware engineer's environment that we'll encounter on a daily basis. It's completely stifling to work in. This is a huge negative in terms of the everyday working practice, but the people in the admin office think it makes the place look nice (they got some fancy sinks for their fancy new bathrooms!) so it's best we go along with it.

* The wages are generally bad. The CEO and Board are happy to say they don't care about the share price, and yet stock is an essential part of the financial compensation, meaning the overall 'pay' is often terrible and in some years the employees have a massive flux from the last as the stock dives from £8 to £1.50.

* The company has an absolute lack of regard for an employee's progression and skill development in the company. They hardly bother changing anyone's title, even if they've been there years and out-grown their old one. In their small start-up days this would have been fine, but we're a company of 1000+ now, it'd be nice to have some recognition for our work.

* As mentioned, they don't weed out bad and useless people, meaning you have to deal with some complete idiots who are nothing but a waste of time and energy. We've had school-level interns join us, knowing nothing about what we do, and still manage to outperform some of our employees. (coupled with the lack of job titles means you don't know if the person you're talking to in another team is of any use or not)

* Some of the software process is a joke, such as the way bugs are dealt with, and there's a complete lack of respect from management for creating proper tools, even though they're the lifeblood of every employee. The software teams just cobble them together themselves, get shouted at for "wasting time" on this tool, yet receive no praise when the entire company gets years worth of man hours as a result. (e.g. objanal is a saviour, and yet not a single team owns it. Even the hw-sim and hw-design teams use it). There's no enforced teaching material for new people, which just completely wastes experienced engineer's time as we retell people the same thing every time. Any attempt to create a division wide teaching syllabus has been shot down. (protip: Every engineer in the software department works on the exact same thing). We also have entire teams dedicated to completely overengineering our drivers (services!) and due to fearmongering from the higher-ups we can't even open source our drivers, meaning the linux community hates us.

Fire the bad employees. Give their pay to everyone else (i.e. better pay for everyone else). Give more respect to the engineering environment and realise that admin staff who can't even type emails in decent English shouldn't be setting the engineering environment that the company depends upon.

My dream job... up to the pay

Current Employee - Hardware Design Engineer in Kings Langley, England
    Current Employee - Hardware Design Engineer in Kings Langley, England

I have been working at Imagination Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very nice and inspiring working environment with interesting and challenging tasks to work on surrounded by very talented people.

Cons

Good heavens, the pay! It is the lowest salary in the market (compared to similar companies like ARM), they don't pay overtime (that you do regularly, at least 5 hours per week) and the fantastic medical package with which they justify the low pay is literally useless. It covers nothing that the NHS doesn't cover, not even basic dentistry (not even check-ups), and you still have to go to your NHS GP first (and wait for weeks for an appointment or for death, whichever comes first), and the only thing it really does is to allow you to choose a specialist rather than taking the one your GP wants. Literally just that; and you have to pay extra for your spouse and kids. Besides, the company is only 30 miles from London, which means that you won't find a decent one-bedroom flat for less than 1000 quid per month. Also, London Midland (railway) is disproportionately expensive. That makes the low salary seem even worse.

The products you're so proud of and that are making the company grow are developed by your bright and hard-working engineers. If you don't stop paying them that bad, you're going to lose them. How can it be that your sales and marketing people (bachelors, maybe a few masters) are paid twice as much as your engineers? Without your engineers (all masters and even phds with honours and years of experience), there would be no products for them to sell.
    And stop treating your engineers like scum. Jolly, throwing out all microwaves in a building full of engineers and with no external visitors just because "somebody" allegedly complained about warm-food smells! And with what efficiency! I wish you would react that fast when your employees complain about uncomfortable, old chairs, too little desk space or bad keyboards!

Very positive, enjoyed working their a lot and everyone was very friendly.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Watford, East of England, England
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Watford, East of England, England

I worked at Imagination Technologies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly and supported atmosphere, social events and as treat Wednesdays, and the food at the canteen was surprisingly good as well.

Cons

The pay is fairly poor for their competitors and they do expect you to work hard, but that is reasonable.

Pleasant Experience, but lacking substance

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kings Langley, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kings Langley, England

I have been working at Imagination Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent team work environment (at least in my office)
    Company with strong leading presence in the market
    Opportunity to work with current and next generation graphics

Cons

Pay increase not properly explained, shares scheme takes too long and not currently paying out, job opportunity seemed exciting but turned out into boring projects most of the time.

Clarify pay increase

good working place, can be better

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Kings Langley, England

I have been working at Imagination Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a freindly environment. geat people to work with. Location is good, easily accessed by public transportation.

Cons

not very clear career path. The hierarchy in the company seems frozen. Maybe have to stay in the pose for quite few year.

Flexible environment with interesting work for those who seek it

I have been working at Imagination Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The open environment amongst engineers together with the breadth of activity provides a technically exciting atmosphere. Technical discussions are easy and information can be sought from other parts of the company with no barrier. Any active interest is never discouraged.
    There are many able and skilled engineers.
    The new building is excellent, furnished to a high standard. The canteen provides good quality food with a lot of variety.

Cons

The open culture between engineers is adapting to change due to expansion. The company has expanded rapidly and some of the infrastructure is still adapting. The expansion makes career paths somewhat unclear however it does provide opportunity.

As the company expands, be sure not to lose sight of the many great engineers working for you.

A good company to work at, but not much better than the average in the industry

Current Employee - Leading Design Engineer in Kings Langley, England
    Current Employee - Leading Design Engineer in Kings Langley, England

I have been working at Imagination Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

relaxed environment, with reasonably flexible hours
    potentially interesting work if you are lucky enough
    The social club and the canteen are a good bonus

Cons

low salaries especially for people living in london
    The company grew fast and has not adapted to its new size. Thus its disorganized and the management from team leaders and above is below average

I am not really a manager, but the Cons say it all. so try to fix them. The amount of human time and potential wasted in the company is embarrassing

good

Former Employee - Leading Design Engineer in Kings Langley, England
    Former Employee - Leading Design Engineer in Kings Langley, England

I worked at Imagination Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

nice environment and nice people

Cons

micro management from senior manager

stop micro management

Nice environment, badly orginised

Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer in Kings Langley, England
    Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer in Kings Langley, England

I have been working at Imagination Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Imagination is a nice environmenment to work in with flexible work hours. There are good engineers and you are in the heart of technology.

Cons

Low salaries, very badly organised (it is a mess) probably because they have enjoyed a sudden growth. You either are lucky and fit or not. the flexible working hours turn out to be long hours...

Your engineers is the company's value. Start treating them like this.

Great excepted for the salary and benefits

Current Employee - Graduate RTL Hardware Design Engineer in Kings Langley, England

I have been working at Imagination Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly people, exciting company philosophy, it is really interesting to work there. The company is leader on the GPU for mobiles market, and so the projects are amazing. Not too much pressure from the hierarchy, we can feel really involved in the company achievements.

Cons

Salary is really low, compared to the market rate. Benefits are quite low: share awards are really unfair as you are not even sure to get a bonus. Health insurance is just basic and could be way better.
    The location is not great but not bad either, nothing to do about it.

Imagination Technologies Photos