Informatica Reviews

493 reviews filtered by
4.1
Informatica Chairman and CEO Sohaib Abbasi
Sohaib Abbasi

Pros
  • Work-life Balance: One of the best IT companies in Bangalore I have seen (in 67 reviews)

• Informatica has a good work culture compared to many Software product companies (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • People worked themselves to the bone running in circles for upper management - no work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Work is not a seasonal thing at GCS unlike R&D where everything happens "before" the release time (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great company, fantastic technology, good benefits, amazing employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Informatica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Informatica is a hidden gem in the Silicon Valley. The company has best in class technology. The management team is a good mix of company veterans and new talent. The employees that Informatica hires are hard working, dedicated and committed to doing the right thing for the company and its customers.

Cons

There is a lot of work to be done being a mid-size company. The business unit structure can be challenging to navigate, but is certainly possible.

Advice to Management

Continue taking calculated risks as we grow and move into adjacent markets. Be bold about the company and our products.

Informatica Response

Jan 26, 2015Senior Employer Brand Manager

Your review is appreciated. There are many employees that would agree with you that Informatica is a hidden gem in the Valley. Although we have a few rough spots around the edges, the company has ... More

2. I like them

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Maidenhead, England
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at Informatica

Pros

A good company to work for.

Cons

None - I've been very happy here.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

3. Proven long term growth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England

I worked at Informatica

Pros

Vibrant company, great products, strong vision.

Cons

The company is maturing, the culture is changing with it. Informatica is no stranger to >20% annual growth. To maintain this pace, everyone needs to be open to change. Not everyone is, which can make life difficult.

Advice to Management

Keep going with the company direction.
    Support internal growth and development, but bring in outsiders when change is needed.

Fantastic company that is going from strength to strength

I have been working at Informatica

Pros

The best products in the industry. Great company culture - this really is a feature that sets Infa apart from any other organisation. The company is big enough to throw it's weight around, but more nimble or agile than the likes of Oracle or IBM. The training and on-boarding is also fantastic, they really do invest in their employees. Senior management is really very good and is taking the company in the right direction.

Cons

Despite the large investments they make in their employees, for those lower down the food chain (Inside Sales, Business Development Reps) there are next to no opportunities for career progression. There has been (and will probably continue to be) a drain on younger, hungry employees who felt that they had to leave to progress their careers. While the salaries and compensation packages are generally pretty good, I know the pay for those working in internal roles is a long way off the market rate.
    The White Waltham office is in the middle of nowhere, which has led to it being eerily quiet more often than not.

6. Lots of opportunities in Software Engineering

I have been working at Informatica

Pros

- Respected company with a strong portfolio and customer loyalty
    - Vendor neutral approach to database integration. Attempts to support everything. This gives plenty of interesting customer opportunities and database types. Help mailing lists are really interesting.
    - The company maintains a strong presence in the new technologies: Cloud, Big Data, Salesforce.com.
    - The company was able to ride out the turmoil in the financial markets c. 2008 without reducing overall staff numbers.
    - Corporate culture includes standard features of California-based software companies - flexible hours, working from home, teams distributed across various geographic locations
    - On a couple of occasions in 2006 and 2010, engineers were treated to off-site trips as special rewards e.g. to Puerto Rico
    - Parts of the company retain the energy and "can-do" attitude of small start-up companies.
    - The company makes wide-spread use of multi-geographic teams with benefits for reduced development costs and 24 by 7 support.
    - In the past the company benefited from many exceptionally competent technical managers.
    - In recent years as the company has started to transition to a more mature management model with process-drive agile system.

Cons

- There has been "churn" in middle management together with problems tackling technical issues, and especially in the estimation of the effort involved in large projects. Agile development does not work well if the base mandays are wildly wrong.
    - The workload of Top Level management is complicated by the need to amalgamate more than a dozen disparate start-up companies.
    - A gap is widening between the Top Level management and the core engineering teams. This is complicated by the number and complexity of systems.
    - There is a conflict between the company's attempt to be vendor-neutral and the fact that almost all managers come from Oracle. The blinkered Oracle-only approach constrains the head-count in teams trying to integrate non-Oracle systems.
    - A lot of time gets consumed in Webex meetings, meetings attended outside office hours affects the home work balance
    - The company relies on "superheros" who burn themselves out after a few years. Remuneration is good but your health may suffer - especially if you work in a team with head-count constraints.
    - It is not much fun working in a team faced with head-count reductions because of lost burn-out "superheros" in conjunction will deliberate redundancies.
    - The company relies on employees being fully-trained on external database systems when they join. It can be stressful trying to get up-to-date with stuff which has come out in the last year.

Advice to Management

The upper management approach has worked well and is likely to continue to do so. A few individuals may get burnt out and legacy teams may implode but this should not affect the overall profit or share price.

Category leader in a hot market segment with huge upside potential and a clear vision and strategy to achieve success.

Current Employee - Area Sales Leader in London, England
    Current Employee - Area Sales Leader in London, England

I have been working at Informatica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hot market driven by explosion of end user Analytics, Big Data, Data Governance, Internet of Things and the shift to Cloud Applications. Strong solutions and product propositions with GTMs aligned to industry imperatives. Supportive culture and genuine "can-do" attitude. A place where origination of new ideas is rewarded and encouraged. Sales compensation plans that are best in the industry and heavily reward over-achievement.

Cons

Transitioning from product selling to solution selling with the associated pains, but the results will be worth the effort.
    Immature vertical messaging and assets outside of Fin Serv - seen as an investment area for FY15.

Advice to Management

Be more thoughtful about sales messaging, i.e. what we can sell today versus vision/roadmap messaging - which is about retaining our thought-leadership position in the market.

8. Huge data organisation with smart, experienced and passionate people. Global reach with customers in all sectors.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Informatica full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a huge amount of progression, and there are people in the business that care about it. They do everything they can to help you achieve things personally and professionally.

I am a consultant and for me learning new and exciting technologies from the smartest people is a key driver for me and Informatica has this and more. I have heard people don’t leave after they join, and I can see why. I can see myself being here for many many years.

They really look after you as an individual, GREAT Place to work

Cons

The company is huge and teams are dotted all over the world so it can be difficult to network and maintain a strong presence in the company.

9. RMO

Current Employee - RMO in London, England
    Current Employee - RMO in London, England

I have been working at Informatica full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best company to work with. The management team always support you and encourage you. Each individual contribution valued by Managers and by management team.

Cons

It is a world wide organisation and it is challenging to meet everyone.

Advice to Management

I think our management team is aware of the challenges and they are continuously working towards it.

10. Fantastic new hire program and everyone is so helpful irrespective of your role! Just Fab!

Current Employee - Channel Sales Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Channel Sales Manager in London, England

I have been working at Informatica full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Three months in! 20+ years in the industry... Informatica have the best Sales development and New Hire program I have experienced.

Cons

None so far, Informatica investes heavily in supporting it's employees.

11. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Director of Organization Effectiveness in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at Informatica full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Informatica has a strong results culture combined with an environment where the majority of work gets done through relationships. This makes for a great experience if you are prepared to work hard and as part of a team, within a matrix structure. The company is on a growth trajectory and there are plenty of opportunities for career development and personal growth. Accompanying this growth comes continuous change, so adaptability and a growth mindset are qualities that set you up for success here.

Cons

Budgets and headcount are managed tightly, as they should be of course but sometimes this leads to some tough decisions around the prioritisation of resources and projects. In order to scale, the company is having to introduce more rigour around processes which some people might not like but this said, it seems to me that the company and people retain a desire to be flexible wherever possible.

Advice to Management

Informatica is a great place to work and I feel we could do a better job of evangelising that. Because we are not a consumer brand, I believe we all have to work even harder to promote our employer brand. This is already a key area of focus for the HR leadership team but everyone in the company has a role to play in building and promoting our employer brand.