Ingersoll-Rand

Ingersoll-Rand Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Ingersoll-Rand Chairman, President, and CEO Michael W. Lamach

Michael W. Lamach

Pros:
  • "As a huge company the benefits are decent and there is a fair work life balance"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Good benefits and ability to work with you on time"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is not easily found in current Ingersoll Rand business structure"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Senior management does not have a clear vision for the future, earning distrust from the employees"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company, Tough transition

I have been working at Ingersoll-Rand

ProsRoom for upward growth if you are a high performer with a solid manager. A lot of the upward growth is determined by your manager and who you impress.

ConsCompany is going through an extremely difficult transition period. Tough hours, a lot of confusion for probably the next year.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep trying to promote the right people, and look internally for promotions.

great company, with a very good work culture and lots of oppurtunity to try out your own ideas

Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand as an intern for less than a year

Prosflexible office timings and good place to work for.

Consi didnt find any cons

IR has great team experience.

I have been working at Ingersoll-Rand for more than 3 years

ProsLove that the team environment is fostered. Great pay, great benefits and they respect your family time needs. Very flexible.

ConsEnvironment can have unique management structure in some sectors.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would prefer more hands on professional/personal development.

Good company to work for.

Senior BI Architect (Former Employee)
Bloomington, MN (US)

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNon formal relaxed work culture.

ConsMiddle managers need serious training on how to be good managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle managers need serious training on how to be good managers.

Great Benefits, Development Opportunities

Talent Acquisition Coordinator (Former Employee)
Carrollton, TX (US)

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits, People, Work Environment, Work Resources, Development Opportunities

ConsJob insecurity due to constant restructuring and company acquisitions.

bindery clerk

Bindery Clerk (Former Employee)
Fullerton, CA (US)

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand as a contractor for less than a year

Prosnice employees, very courteous..if I needed any help, it was available.

Consnone, everyone was helpful and nice.

Advice to Senior Managementnone, everyone was so great and nice. I would work there again.

Awesome place

Intern (Former Employee)
Tyler, TX (US)

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand as an intern for less than a year

ProsNo meddling, free time to get work done and a well rounded management structure, fair compensation and also a very well hiring process

ConsWork-life balance suffers I guess, the age groups are kind of , well off - there are real old people, and really young people

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing much I can think of, it was a fair deal overall.

Ingersoll Rand is a great, great company to work for.

Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ingersoll-Rand full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIf you are passionate about your work and work ethic, IR helps you reach your career goals. They won't do it for you, but give you so much support to getting there. Great college reimbursement program, great, great health benefits and employee benefits. Many great managers too. Sure, there are not so good ones around, but the good ones are GREAT. I know IR has gone through so many changes in past years, but that's because they have their eyes open to the world around them and the economy and always strive to stay solid and strong. I appreciate that because it gives me greater job security in an unstable economy. The CEO Mike Lamach is fantastic. I love his vision as well as his ability to understand and relate with everyday employees. I know he is really trying to drive the IR culture down through our other companies and what a task that can be... Yes change is hard on people, but you better get used to it because life is always changing so we need to be ready to change along with it!! It gives us new opportunites to expand and grow and make a difference around us. I really believe in IR and have been through different transistions for 9 years. I started with Trane, who was bought by IR years ago and have worked for IR specifically for the past 5 years.

ConsI would have to say the one Con I see is that Ingersoll Rand still doesn't quite have a grasp on the Culture problems with one of their companies, Trane. While IR has great PMP and Development plans to help employees grow... The Trane culture still to this day, pays little attention to encouraging and helping their employees grow and feel valued. So when it comes time to do their PMP's many of those employees just laugh about it and say it doesn't matter what they put in there because nobody cares.... That's really sad to me. When it comes to survey time, which is the tool used to give IR feedback, many many of the Trane employees still don't put down "truth" because they are afraid of being repremanded and that Happens... I have had employees confide in me and tell me their stories... Again really sad to me... Trane needs to get with the program! IR needs to follow up better and make sure its being followed, rather than someone just checking a box...

Advice to Senior ManagementHmmm my advice is, if you really care about your other companies, like Trane... and really are serious about making changes that inspire and motivate ALL employees, you have to reach those employees. In the Trane world, it really is a good ole boys and girls club. You are not going to know employee morale or engagement by just asking managers and those in authority when it comes to Trane.... (and by the way, I work for IR not Trane).. Moral is really really low in Trane offices and I just see such an opportunity for GREATNESS, if you can find a way to really get their management to UNDERSTAND the importance of Valuing their employees, respecting them and helping them also grow and feel appreciated. Because they don't... Trane may be a solid company to work for, but they really LACK deeply in everything else when it comes to their employees being valued and inspired. It really makes me so sad to see it. Please pay attention to this. IR can be so much greater if they can break through this wall... There needs to be better enforced accountability, especially for PMP's. And I LOVE IR.. I am very thankful I work for IR and have an incredible boss and am on an incredible team. I LOVE coming to work every single day!! I just wish everyone could experience that and feel that way... So please help make that happen!!!

Poor culture (CYA culture), decent pay, questionable leadership

Procurement (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGive you opportunities through their rotational program

ConsOnce you roll of program there is no follow up early talent development.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify your young talent and do all you can to keep it otherwise they will continue to leave at a high rate and you will have wasted all you developed in them.

Good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI had training opportunities that I wouldn't have otherwise had. Flexibility to work from home and good direct supervisors and co-workers.

ConsAlways an atmosphere of "who will be gone next" permeating the organization. It was hard to focus on doing your job sometimes when I was taking on more work from people that weren't there anymore.

Worked for Ingersoll-Rand? Contribute to the Community!

Ingersoll-Rand Videos

Ingersoll-Rand – Why Work for Us?

Ingersoll Rand is composed of a diverse array of business and market-leading brands serving customers in global commercial, With more than 58,000 employees in locations worldwide, we offer career opportunities as… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ingersoll-Rand reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Ingersoll-Rand CEO Michael W. Lamach. All 329 reviews are posted anonymously by Ingersoll-Rand employees.