Ingles Markets

Updated 21 February 2015
2.9

Ingles Markets CEO Robert P. Ingle II
Robert P. Ingle II

Pros
  • I'm a part time worker and they work around your schedule especially if you have school (in 8 reviews)

• With health insurance not factored in, it does have competitive entry level retail full time benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you work full-time (and good luck getting it), you get no benefits (in 11 reviews)

• Low pay, low raises, & inconsistency with hours if you're a part time worker (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in Spartanburg, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Spartanburg, SC (US)

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (more than a year)

Pros

From my experience, the managers were extremely laid back and easy to get along with. The job itself was quite easy to understand and soon I was able to complete it with such ease that I didn't even have to look down. Also, if you had something come up and needed time off (even if it was that same day), the managers were always willing to work with you. For the most, everyone was able to get along well together and more than willing to assist if you needed help with something (bagging groceries, looking up a produce number, running an errand, etc.).

Cons

The managers were sometimes so laid back that they did not enforce the rules entirely (I worked at two of these markets and only ran across one manager, out of about 8, that did this).

Love working at ingles

Current Employee - Deli Associate in Powell, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Deli Associate in Powell, TN (US)

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Get to experience a lot of new things it's a whole me and I really do h hope I'm doing a good job I'd like to think I am.

Cons

Trying to learn new jobs in the department I'm in, not enough time spent on training someone before you are just thrown into it very stressful.

Really need to listen to all complaints no matter how big or small you think it is, it means something to the person who is bringing it to your attention.

great people to work with

Current Employee - Cashier in Mars Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Mars Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible schedule
    clean stores
    give opportunity to learn and gain experience
    helpful management
    locally owned

Cons

few full time opportunities
    poor pay
    no part time benefits
    limited opportunities for advancement
    not customer oriented

It was back and forth but ok

I worked at Ingles Markets

Pros

Getting to work and see your friends. Good pay. Work with your school schedule

Cons

Can be hard at sometimes.

Know who to kiss up to

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Ingles Markets

Pros

Friendly environment by coworkers & customers, if you're a friendly person, "OK" pay, clean store.

Cons

Gotta know who to suck up to that's the only way you get pay raise & speedy benefits.

Treat everyone fairly, appreciate those who work hard & reward them for it! Don't flirt with little girls!

Beg for that quarter raise every year

Former Employee - Cashier in Hayesville, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Hayesville, NC (US)

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The customers and some of the employees.

Cons

Pay is very low. Only part time unless you are in the club. Positions are never posted to give anyone a chance to move up. They tell you flexible schedule..but that is only for students. Store manager do little besides hanging out in the back room. Customers are always asking if the manager is in.

Need to have a guest advantage card. You make customers have the card but make it inconvenient when they lose it or can't find it. Really an inconvenience for vacationers. Move your registers away from the front door. You say you need a cashier there to monitor thieves and then when they are caught no one prosecutes. You do not provide healthcare but you want people to be sick from working in front of the doors. Then they have to miss work and pay for a doctor visit. Tell people when they are doing a good job and compensate them accordingly.

Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Johnson City, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Johnson City, TN (US)

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good management (store level). My manager is awesome and gave me opportunities to learn new things on the job + full time. Most of the people I work with are very friendly. My health insurance through work is very good.

Cons

Rather poor pay. Our computers hardly function which is annoying. I hate seeing customers upset over things that people at the store level cannot fix. This makes us less efficient as a company and also upsets the customers who give our business profit.

Pay attention to what our competition is doing regarding office software/ U-scans. Our competition has more advanced U-scans that are more customer-friendly and might cause customers to shop elsewhere. We need to outdo our competition.
    Give customers a way to type in their Ingles Advantage Cards at their own convenience at the register or at least allow the cashier to have a way to look it up on their register.
    This would ensure a faster transaction and a happier customer.

This is not a negative review, just a suggestion on how to make our customers have a more satisfying experience while shopping at Ingles.

Happy, enjoyable place to work.

Former Employee - Cashier in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Kingsport, TN (US)

I worked at Ingles Markets

Pros

I enjoy the friendships I've made with Co workers and customers. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Wish the pay scale was higher.

Like being treated with the same respect you want to be treated with.

Rewarding

Current Employee - Cashier in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (less than a year)

Pros

$9 an hour starting pay but it is well deserved.

Cons

I doubt anyone except management will ever be full time.

Need to be more friendly and positive.