Insight Reviews

Updated 17 April 2015
239 reviews filtered by

Not a bad place to get your technical career started.

Former Employee - NOC Technician in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - NOC Technician in Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Insight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was in the NOC. Good starting place to launch a career in networking or server administration. They pay for certifications that you pass.

Cons

Pay is very low. PTO is hard to get approved. Poor collaboration between groups. Basically zero room for growth/promotion. They would bring in less experienced people to higher for positions on the engineering team because they could pay them less than more seasoned techs with experience. Managed services is having major changes, several layoffs and management shakeups.

Advice to Management

When you say you promote from within stop hiring external people.

2. Good place to get your feet wet to move into a better opportunity.

I worked at Insight

Pros

Insight is a great place to start and get your experience in the technology industry. As a VAR they have improved their training methodology from when I started, The base salary compensation is quite a bit higher than when I started as well.

Cons

Always changing the compensation plan. Every year they devise a new and unique way to minimize the compensation plan. Every year they add more difficult hurdles to clear and continue to get creative as to how to avoid paying commissions. If you don't like the compensation plan, just wait one year and it will no doubt change...but never for the better...the management will spin it and tell you how it is going to create a better opportunity for making greater commissions, however that is NEVER the case.

Advice to Management

Stop letting the big IT partners dictate how your company should be run. Don't continue to change the compensation plan and lie to employees telling them that your actions are not "cost saving measures" and "the new comp plan provides greater opportunities to make higher commissions".

Trying to be a player but has a long way to go

Current Employee - Sales in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most peers are really great people

Cons

Clients have never heard of Insight. Management doesn't know how to manage, communicate, collaborate, help get things done, push the ball forward, think outside the box. The services we are chartered to sell are non-existent or are so rudimentary as to not set us apart. Trying to get things done within the company is nearly impossible. Lots of "No" people in high level positions. This company has no culture.

Advice to Management

Low pay, terrible vacation, disjointed sales messages, sales is told what to focus on which unfortunately is not in our wheel house - management needs to really focus on what the strengths of the company are and develop solutions around the strengths. Asset tagging and multi-site rollouts are not a leading edge service. Why is it so hard to get anything done?

A lot of office politics at time, but there is some opportunity

I have been working at Insight full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The job has a lot of opportunity to learn when you first get into a position and they are willing to train well to get you up to speed. The company does offer basic insurance plans and a 401k. The opportunity for growth is good for starting positions. It is a growing company.

Cons

The environment can be very political at times with people focusing more on looking good than doing their jobs well. More managers than leaders in the company. In some positions it can feel like you are being micromanaged. The pay tends to be lower than industry average in certain positions.

Advice to Management

Focus more on getting results than trying to look good. Be a leader and your team will want to work for you as opposed to a manager who just comes in to do a job.

Decent til the end

Current Employee - Arizona in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Arizona in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Teammates were great! Always willing to help each other out even at the last minute.

Cons

Management is only there for themselves. Middle management only cares about meeting their numbers to get their own bonus.

Advice to Management

The round of layoffs could have been avoided if management would have spent more time on getting new clients in the door and not blaming engineers for clients leaving RNOC.

7. Great company to learn and grow

Former Employee - Partner Sales Specialist in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Partner Sales Specialist in Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Insight

Pros

Great employees, values and growth potential

Cons

A little political at times

Advice to Management

More reviews and better compensation for stronger employees

Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed

Former Employee - Analyst in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Insight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lateral co-workers who I'm still friends with. OK for entry-level job, got exposure to industry and made some good networking connections. Bathrooms were clean. Within Jimmy John's delivery radius!

Cons

High-anxiety work environment: coming in everyday to see if your department has been "right-sized" and it's your turn to pack. Worked there 3 years during which time we had 3 bosses whose positions were all eliminated. Professional development & training were marketed in the offer but it never happened...silo'd teams, never figured out half the org chart. Pay was terrible and the final straw was the forced switch to high-deductible health plan. My salary was still the same but suddenly I'm paying $5k out of pocket before insurance kicks in. Performance reviews are a joke - there is a fixed amount of money for salary increases so management would "work backwards" to figure out how to distribute it...eg marked down for not handling any cross-divisional projects yet I could only ever work on projects that were assigned to me by my manager. Felt bad for sales reps who were subject to whatever ephemeral strategy was popular, usually just for a quarter or two before the winds shifted and a director got fired, then on to the new next best thing.

Advice to Management

Pick a course of action and stick to it. See it through to the end instead of changing horses mid-race. Better salaries would help you retain bright people and might offset the sting of the HDHP. The constant employee churn makes people who aren't getting fired nervous nevertheless and puts finding a new job high on the priority list.

Not bad for an entry level job.

I worked at Insight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of goodies from partners, but they cut back about 80% of the free food days and such, so really, no Pros.

Cons

Low pay, Inexperienced managers, the same people are always recognized at events and meetings - so if you want to make it into the "in" group, follow the clique and do what they do. Especially the women, extremely cliquey and do not let outsiders in to be friends not matter how hard you try.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that are qualified and actually care about their employees. Also, pay higher, expecting someone to do a job for 40K a year that they should be making 55K a year isn't that much more and offensive to offer less.

10. Multi-tasking all day

I have been working at Insight

Pros

The jobs are broad and include many different tasks and resposibilities

Cons

The schedule is set to create long shifts.

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees better as individuals

11. IT...the place to be.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

*in a relevant industry
    *Good/great leaders at the C level
    *involved in new technologies
    *pay is comparable to the market place
    *fast paced

Cons

*fast paced
    *needs better retirement planning for long term employees
    *tries to be everything for everyone and not focused on our core strengths
    *new number priority every day