Interactive Brokers

Exciting, Fast Moving, Not for Slowpokes

Current Employee - Legal/Compliance
    Current Employee - Legal/Compliance

I have been working at Interactive Brokers

Pros

Intellectually challenging, Fast paced, Solid comp., Growing, successful business

Cons

Not fot hose who like a lot of structure and handholding and bureaucratic processes

Excellent company to work for and great stability

I have been working at Interactive Brokers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good company to work for, great CEO, average management, lack of focus on specific areas at times

Cons

Lack of focus on promotions and bringing performers up

Pay more attention to employees performance and especially the revenue generating employees

Hope You Like Working Under a Dictatorship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwich, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwich, CT (US)

I have been working at Interactive Brokers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Acceptable Pay, Good Benefits, Job Security

Cons

Minimal pay increase at the end of every year, 22 days MAXIMUM vacation and sick time combined even after several years of service, no job growth, no time to yourself during the work day or lunch break, you can never work enough hours to satisfy management requirements, your opinion will never be valued. If you are OK with being micromanaged, being told what to do, how to do it, and to do it immediately on a daily basis while realizing you will never get anywhere in the company then this is the place for you.

Welcome to Interactive Brokers where if you aren't on top, you mean nothing to no one. Senior management is severely out of touch with today's technological advancements and what customers are looking for from a brokerage company. This company seems to be frozen in the early 90s with little to no improvement in the trading platform, its design, or ease of use. Progressive movement to create original ideas to keep the company in business are consistently shot down. Customer service is also lacking to say the least. Management does not promote from within and hires individuals from outside sources who are not qualified for doing the jobs that are asked of them. Basically, if you know nothing of the position you are applying for, then you are perfect for the job! Culture is cut throat with senior management constantly fighting with each other over who gets to play in the sandbox with the president, with their behavior childish at best. Constant insults and name calling are common place at this establishment at all levels; where sophisticated dialogue utilizing every swear word in the English language are terms used on a daily basis to define a coworker or their performance. President of company also likes to force his political views on his employees to further his own agenda for the Republican party. Most senior management are from foreign countries and do not speak English very well, this makes it very difficult to understand phone calls and emails from them.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zug (Switzerland)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zug (Switzerland)

I worked at Interactive Brokers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pay package, international team, good hours

Cons

Bureaucracy and company politics.
    Administrative processes involving HR

stream line internal processes, work with employees and not against them.

True meritocracy

Current Employee - UI Developer in Greenwich, CT (US)
    Current Employee - UI Developer in Greenwich, CT (US)

I have been working at Interactive Brokers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interactive Brokers dispenses with office politics and maneuvering, and presents the opportunity to work for a true meritocracy. If you are a senior developer ready to bring coding expertise and elbow-grease to the table, this is the place for you.

Cons

It would be great if there was a greater variety of free drink choices for people who don't drink coffee - do there really need to be 12 different blends of coffee?

A Meritocracy for Programmers

Current Employee - Programmer/Business Analyst in Greenwich, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Programmer/Business Analyst in Greenwich, CT (US)

I have been working at Interactive Brokers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been at "IB" for roughly two years after a rather tortuous journey at several large banks. There are basically two primary businesses at IB : 1. The market maker (electronic trading) and 2. The automated brokerage. I work for the latter. Probably the greatest feature (as a programmer) working for this company is that management, and management's management, are all programmers. As a result, the intricacies and difficulties of writing good code are understood by higher-ups and rewarded. For example, you will never have to waste your time explaining to a panel of bureaucrats the differences between Java and Excel at IB.
          In terms of "culture", IB is certainly a for-profit business and as a result, management does expect their employees to contribute to the business while at work. It is generally frowned upon to shop for clothes or view Facebook during the day, although I must admit that we do (gasp) discuss non-work related topics along with taking the occasional afternoon stroll down Greenwich Ave. without the least fear of managerial reprisals. At IB, There is not much emphasis on team-building field trips or pinball-matchine break rooms like some companies have, although this is not what I personally look for in an employer, especially not when the economy sours. My impression is that IB's philosophy is to reward their employees with higher salaries and bonuses, rather than the aforementioned corporate perks.
          In contrast to some of the criticisms I have read below about management being intransigent, I have found new business ideas and technology to be readily embraced here... HOWEVER, be ready to make a business case for them. The utter absence of bureaucracy means decisions are made based on risk and potential profit, i.e. rationally.

Cons

There are a multitude of very smart people at this company, with a wide variety of different skills and knowledge. I think that it would be beneficial to have monthly presentations on different aspects of the business or different technologies people are using. Nothing like this is ever discouraged, it's just that no one is particularly proactive about it. We are a bunch of computer nerds so we like this stuff (or at least I do).

See Cons

Hostile Work Environment

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Greenwich, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Greenwich, CT (US)

I worked at Interactive Brokers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I joined for location and the salary. I thought is was a great lateral move at the time.

Cons

Manager was an ignorant jerk who knew less than I did. It is unclear how he kept his job. He seemed particularly offended because I went to a great university and had academic credentials in addition to time in the trenches.

I wish I had filed a law suit. I now regret taking the high road.

customer service representative

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Interactive Brokers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good food, people here are very nice. very stable job, endless work.
    A lot of work is a good thing, then, you won't get fired.

Cons

So tired. Talking with customers all the time is very exhausting.

it is better to give employees some time to communicate. Working is just too busy all the time. No time to talk with coworkers. Should have some happy hours time.

linux admin

Former Employee - Linux Administrative in Greenwich, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Linux Administrative in Greenwich, CT (US)

I worked at Interactive Brokers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

not afraid of new tech. Very clever co-workers

Cons

could have shared more profit

fix the inter-department rivalries as they hinder and are useless.

Horrible! Real devils in here!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Greenwich, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Greenwich, CT (US)

I have been working at Interactive Brokers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is some really good engineering work being done

Cons

- No internet at all. Not even restricted/moderated internet. You cannot get a glimpse of what is happening in the outside world from morning 9am-6pm for a near 365 days a year. In today's world, this is like stringing up a person without allowing air to breathe.
    - Adding to the internet policy, the culture is one of the worst. The managers are horrible with absolutely no humane feelings. They expect you to be like slaves, no question asked, no issue raised against your head. With the internet policy, I feel people who work for a few years will loose any sense of emotion and become extremely apathetic. People this will have very adverse affects on your personal lives. So please read this and do not take an offer at this company even though the money they give is somewhat above the average market value.
    - The head of the one of the departments even sometimes makes this explicit when hiring you: "Being social is not good in the company". So not take this lightly. The culture will drain any life from you. You work in the company for 10 years and not know anything about the guy sitting next to you.
    - H1B/Work visa permit holders... READ THIS!!: They only give 10 days of vacation for the whole year for the first 5 years! Yes just 10 days a year! So, you will have no time to prepare for interviews leave alone actually interviewing with companies to get out of the place if you don't like the culture. I have seen many people who are stuck there because of this situation. This will drive you crazy leading to many psychological problems.

Give your employees internet if they need. You can give them the tradeoff of reducing their salary for having their internet monitored if security is a concern.
    Get a life guys. Treat your employees like they are humans and remember they have feelings too. They need to get a life where they can smile once they get home and not think about why they ever got stuck at this company.

Interactive Brokers Photos