Interactive Brokers Reviews

Updated 8 March 2015
56 reviews filtered by

Spontaneous mess

I worked at Interactive Brokers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, paid lunch, no strict work control, it's easy to talk to people, good location, learn about finance, work with smart people

Cons

Managerial disaster, no logical policies (in fact often no policies at all), no real way to move forward, extreme measures to keep you at the firm (you get your current year bonus split over the next 6 years, if you leave you lose the rest c'mon), no vacation days, almost impossible to express your opinion upwards (i.e. 'this is what you have to work with dude'), lack of creativity, lack of proper planning for anything (no idea what PM is), lack of communication between people (on same project?), work sometimes comes 'from the air', lack of organization, managers are not managers, but commanders, dull 9 to 5 job in many cases

Advice to Management

You can make people more dedicated with promoting creativity, clear rules of what is expected from them. Dare to be more generous with vacations, opportunities for promotions, education, etc. Communication is in really bad shape. Managers should manage, not command.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zug (Switzerland)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zug (Switzerland)

I worked at Interactive Brokers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pay package, international team, good hours

Cons

Bureaucracy and company politics.
    Administrative processes involving HR

Advice to Management

stream line internal processes, work with employees and not against them.

Hostile Work Environment

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Greenwich, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Greenwich, CT (US)

I worked at Interactive Brokers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined for location and the salary. I thought is was a great lateral move at the time.

Cons

Manager was an ignorant jerk who knew less than I did. It is unclear how he kept his job. He seemed particularly offended because I went to a great university and had academic credentials in addition to time in the trenches.

Advice to Management

I wish I had filed a law suit. I now regret taking the high road.

5. True meritocracy

Current Employee - UI Developer in Greenwich, CT (US)
    Current Employee - UI Developer in Greenwich, CT (US)

I have been working at Interactive Brokers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interactive Brokers dispenses with office politics and maneuvering, and presents the opportunity to work for a true meritocracy. If you are a senior developer ready to bring coding expertise and elbow-grease to the table, this is the place for you.

Cons

It would be great if there was a greater variety of free drink choices for people who don't drink coffee - do there really need to be 12 different blends of coffee?

A Meritocracy for Programmers

Current Employee - Programmer/Business Analyst in Greenwich, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Programmer/Business Analyst in Greenwich, CT (US)

I have been working at Interactive Brokers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at "IB" for roughly two years after a rather tortuous journey at several large banks. There are basically two primary businesses at IB : 1. The market maker (electronic trading) and 2. The automated brokerage. I work for the latter. Probably the greatest feature (as a programmer) working for this company is that management, and management's management, are all programmers. As a result, the intricacies and difficulties of writing good code are understood by higher-ups and rewarded. For example, you will never have to waste your time explaining to a panel of bureaucrats the differences between Java and Excel at IB.
          In terms of "culture", IB is certainly a for-profit business and as a result, management does expect their employees to contribute to the business while at work. It is generally frowned upon to shop for clothes or view Facebook during the day, although I must admit that we do (gasp) discuss non-work related topics along with taking the occasional afternoon stroll down Greenwich Ave. without the least fear of managerial reprisals. At IB, There is not much emphasis on team-building field trips or pinball-matchine break rooms like some companies have, although this is not what I personally look for in an employer, especially not when the economy sours. My impression is that IB's philosophy is to reward their employees with higher salaries and bonuses, rather than the aforementioned corporate perks.
          In contrast to some of the criticisms I have read below about management being intransigent, I have found new business ideas and technology to be readily embraced here... HOWEVER, be ready to make a business case for them. The utter absence of bureaucracy means decisions are made based on risk and potential profit, i.e. rationally.

Cons

There are a multitude of very smart people at this company, with a wide variety of different skills and knowledge. I think that it would be beneficial to have monthly presentations on different aspects of the business or different technologies people are using. Nothing like this is ever discouraged, it's just that no one is particularly proactive about it. We are a bunch of computer nerds so we like this stuff (or at least I do).

Advice to Management

See Cons

customer service representative

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Interactive Brokers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good food, people here are very nice. very stable job, endless work.
    A lot of work is a good thing, then, you won't get fired.

Cons

So tired. Talking with customers all the time is very exhausting.

Advice to Management

it is better to give employees some time to communicate. Working is just too busy all the time. No time to talk with coworkers. Should have some happy hours time.

linux admin

Former Employee - Linux Administrative in Greenwich, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Linux Administrative in Greenwich, CT (US)

I worked at Interactive Brokers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

not afraid of new tech. Very clever co-workers

Cons

could have shared more profit

Advice to Management

fix the inter-department rivalries as they hinder and are useless.

Horrible! Real devils in here!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Greenwich, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Greenwich, CT (US)

I have been working at Interactive Brokers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is some really good engineering work being done

Cons

- No internet at all. Not even restricted/moderated internet. You cannot get a glimpse of what is happening in the outside world from morning 9am-6pm for a near 365 days a year. In today's world, this is like stringing up a person without allowing air to breathe.
    - Adding to the internet policy, the culture is one of the worst. The managers are horrible with absolutely no humane feelings. They expect you to be like slaves, no question asked, no issue raised against your head. With the internet policy, I feel people who work for a few years will loose any sense of emotion and become extremely apathetic. People this will have very adverse affects on your personal lives. So please read this and do not take an offer at this company even though the money they give is somewhat above the average market value.
    - The head of the one of the departments even sometimes makes this explicit when hiring you: "Being social is not good in the company". So not take this lightly. The culture will drain any life from you. You work in the company for 10 years and not know anything about the guy sitting next to you.
    - H1B/Work visa permit holders... READ THIS!!: They only give 10 days of vacation for the whole year for the first 5 years! Yes just 10 days a year! So, you will have no time to prepare for interviews leave alone actually interviewing with companies to get out of the place if you don't like the culture. I have seen many people who are stuck there because of this situation. This will drive you crazy leading to many psychological problems.

Advice to Management

Give your employees internet if they need. You can give them the tradeoff of reducing their salary for having their internet monitored if security is a concern.
    Get a life guys. Treat your employees like they are humans and remember they have feelings too. They need to get a life where they can smile once they get home and not think about why they ever got stuck at this company.

I wish I had left earlier.

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Interactive Brokers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salaries are good. You can learn a lot about trading. Co-workers are smart. New Year's party is nice.

Cons

Work environment is poisonous. Communication is discouraged among employees; you are expected to solve your problems with minimal external help. There are no trainings no working from home. Tools and development processes are very old. Career advancement is very slow. Employee stock incentive plan seems good at first but it locks you in with the company. Once you announce to leave the firm they will screw with you wherever they can.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect.

Good people but limited resources to work and internal tools always crash

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Interactive Brokers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Majority of the people in customer service and technical support are very nice and helpful

-Free lunch (if you stay in office and work during your lunch hour)

Cons

-Internal communication tools and systems constantly crash and could not get information to help assist customer

-Limited resources (more often no resources) and training to help customer, for example they expect you to assist a client to place an order in an iPad and iPhone, we don't even have these tools in the office! Constantly have to use personal phone and mobile data plans to help customer; they don't care how things are done as long as the customer is assisted.

-Management controls everything, they have the final say and if you are on the trainee system and you submit a reply, chances are you have to wait one or two days for approval. Chasing them is hopeless.

-Communication between regions is very troublesome. Colleagues from other regions are often bouncing between tasks claiming it is because customer is based on the closest region or because of time difference. Since the global routing, people may cold transfer calls back to the existing queues so that they can leave on time.

-Projects that are assigned are often random and pointless.

-Majority of the Technical Operations team are very unhelpful, when escalating an issue they either do nothing or waste your time, or wait 2-3 days to copy and paste your report on the bug report to escalate further.

Advice to Management

Train employees and provide better resources to complete day to day tasks. For example, mobile devices and tablets so that we know how to walkthrough clients on placing orders.

You may also want to give more incentive for your employees to stay.

Interactive Brokers Photos