Interpublic Group

Updated 14 September 2014
3.6

Interpublic Group Chairman and CEO Michael I. Roth
Michael I. Roth

Pros
  • Location (midtown NYC), work-life balance (in most functions), employee diversity resource groups (in 5 reviews)

• Great managers as well as great work environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Increased transparency from senior management and less politics when you deal with corporate in NY (in 4 reviews)

• Less direct compensation than similar jobs in the Omaha area (Both as an intern and as a entry-level full time employee (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

No Training

I worked at Interpublic Group

Pros

Great holidays - 12! Two weeks of vacation the first year.

Cons

No training. No organization. I played Scrabble for the first two weeks. I begged for any type of assignment, but no one knew what I would be doing... When I was given an assignment, I was told there were no SOPs in place. Training was almost non-existent. Manager would assign project but be too busy to walk me through it - or taking her dog to the vet - or getting her nails done - or home with her kids - or going to the dentist. If I couldn't finish a project, manager would finish it but not tell me how it was done. Communication was not high on the list of priorities.

SOPS should be an integral part of every department. I don't know if my department was an exception - or the norm. With SOPS, new employees can hit the ground running. Absences can be covered efficiently. Communication can be moved up in importance. Work can get done efficiently - the first time. I would strongly recommend that each employee know what they are doing and why. I spoke with my manager several times regarding a lack of direction. There was no response until my last (and only) HR meeting when I was told the job and I were not a match. Luckily, I had determined that my manager and I were not a match earlier.

Very welcoming internship experience for a rising second-year in college

Current Employee - Intern  in  Taipei (Taiwan)
    Current Employee - Intern in Taipei (Taiwan)

I have been working at Interpublic Group as an intern

Pros

The people there were laid-back and very helpful. Taught me to use a lot of relevant software, though may be dated compared to HK, Japan, or other Interpublic offices. Made sure I had a lot of opportunities to practice them and understand how they tied in with the client reports and presentations. Assistant at meetings.

Cons

Perhaps should have allocated more work to interns. I prepared weekly client reports for six weeks -- very repetitive. Sometimes had nothing to do for the entire day. I could have learned a lot more about advertisement and marketing. Colleagues did not seem passionate about their job.

An Advertising Agency that could do with more creativity.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)

I have been working at Interpublic Group full-time

Pros

Stable business situation. Good at acquiring new businesses. Lots of ATL opportunities, especially TVCs. Participates in major advertising award festivals - if your idea/entry is good, then there's a good chance it'll be sent for Cannes etc.

Cons

Getting less creative-led and more client-driven by the day. Rigid and unilateral approach to most briefs hence less scope for new age ideas and lateral solutions.

Think long term and not short term. Make the agency a place where people would want to come and join themselves.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

First job and nice boss

Current Employee - Disbursement Associate
    Current Employee - Disbursement Associate

I have been working at Interpublic Group

Pros

Several company events and friendly environment

Cons

No raise due to economy

N/A

just one messed up place to work

Current Employee - Senior Biztalk Server Consultant  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Biztalk Server Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Interpublic Group

Pros

pay was kinda fair though it was less than few other companies in the area
    work location is good for commuting

Cons

worst management
    dont anything about project management
    lack of respect for hard working people
    incompetent fulltime staff , most work is pushed onto consultants
    lack of QA team

learn to respect your best guys

Stimulating

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Interpublic Group

Pros

Innovative thinking and strong leadership

Cons

Health benefits could be better

Not bad, but not inspiring

Current Employee - Director  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Interpublic Group

Pros

Fair bit of autonomy and some decent managers. It really depends on what company you work for inside of IPG that will determine your level of happiness.

Cons

There are a lot of politics and it's a boys club, especially at Mediabrands. Current leadership is uninspiring and there have been some questionable decisions made by top execs recently. Not sure what the future holds for IPG.

Let in inspired, creative folks and let them have a say. Lose egotistical upper management who can't lead or execute against a meaningful vision. Identify the people who are currently really doing things differently and promote them.

Too corporate

I worked at Interpublic Group

Pros

The benefits are good. There is some opportunity to work across companies held by Interpublic Group. I like the ERG's.

Cons

It is a very corporate environment. Although it is in the creative industry, many new ideas are rejected because of corporate ideology.

Create a more inclusive environment. Many decisions are made behind close doors without input from employees. If you're going to hire someone in a management role, give his/her future direct reports an opportunity to meet them first

Good holding company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Interpublic Group

Pros

Benefits are good. Paid time off is good. The IT / Business Applications group doesn't have long hours unlike other lines of advertising, such as creative, account services, media, etc. My boss is knowledgeable and has worked her way up within the company. My team is willing to work with people to help them improve some performance issues, that are considered minor by management - (ie. coworker, doesn't communicate well to collegeaues in written format). Low level of stress.

Cons

This is specific to the IT/ Business Applications Group, I am in, not the entire company. I can't speak for the Finance, HR and Shared Services groups.

There doesn't seem to be any advancement opportunities. For example, other co-workers have been in their positions for many years 3-5, with two folks at 10+ years supporting users and implementing the business software. Other folks that were in the group, left after a few years to pursue other opportunities in IT/Business Applications, such as becoming lead PMO's (Project Managers or moving to a the vendor supplier side of business software).

Provide a career path for employees who perform well and deserve it. I can't imagine someone (who isn't in the C-Suite or a VP) doing the same job for 10+ years in today's business world without any sort of advancement at the lower levels. If there are no advancement opportunities available, how about providing the ability, for employees who are performing well, to make lateral moves into other areas of IT / Business Applications and/or IPG Corporate.

Pretty good place to work

Current Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Interpublic Group

Pros

Good work/life balance. Particularly for an NYC company
    Summer Fridays and 18-25 vacation days = alot of time off
    Reasonable ability to advance within the company

Cons

Below market salaries
    Politics can be a little much
    Company parties have really gone downhill since the stock market crash

Management is doing fine, they don't need my advice. I think that the pay structure tends to be a little top heavy but I that seems to be true around NY so what are you going to do.

Worked for Interpublic Group? Contribute to the Community!