Intertek Reviews

Updated 24 August 2014

2.9

Intertek CEO Wolfhart Hauser
Wolfhart Hauser

Pros
  • We have the power to move into any industry sector where we see growth opportunities and the people to make sure we are successful (in 5 reviews)

• Intertek provides good entry-level jobs that help employees build their customer service skills and teamwork tactics (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • I was denied a request to work fewer hours to improve my work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• There is no communication from management, decisions are constantly made without consultation and schemes are often introduced with no notice given (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to work

Former Employee - Team Leader - Toys and Customer Service  in  Leicester, England
    Former Employee - Team Leader - Toys and Customer Service in Leicester, England

I worked at Intertek full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I was really lucky and had the oportunity from the very begining to create the role into what I wanted it to be. My role was so varied from really focussed customer delivery, visits to new, exisiting and potential clients all the through to supporting my thirst to learn more from a technical perspective.

Cons

With the greatest of respect, some really technical people aren't necessarily great people people (and this remains true even in my job with a different company). Many of the senior colleagues in the business were there (both internal promotions and externally bought in) for technical expertise rather than leadership which was sometimes a miss. The approach at that time to HR issues were a little more generous than other employers. The MD I had when I left was pretty awesome guy though - completely about people.

Look to how you can inspire the team through leadership and possibilities rather than a pure technicain viewpoint. I only left because succession opportunities were limited due to my need to be based in the Midlands - it was such a hard decision to leave and I do still miss it there.

Good people/workforce in dire need of better and more modern leadership

I worked at Intertek full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly place to work. Slightly old fashioned but non the worse for that.

Cons

How long have you got!
    One dimensional leadership - if you can call it that.
    Not prepared to embrace new/innovative ideas.
    Salary and benefits awful.
    Treat staff poorly.
    Broken promises. If you are offered something, get it in writing!
    No training provided. Little or no induction.
    Share price falling, not spending, extensive cost cutting can only point in one direction.

Get some new senior management with new ideas who are prepared to lead and not just manage, and can motivate. The good and loyal workforce deserve better than they have now.

Good

Current Employee - Senior Test Engineer  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Test Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Intertek full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Professional company, with some team building events in the passed. Cuts now mean there will be no team building, which is bad not only for last years team (who are a little torn apart) but for new recruits.

Cons

Some of the staff are not as professional as they need to be (as they are in other departments).

Be more open to change

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of management, communication and skilled employees

I have been working at Intertek

Pros

Pension scheme is good. If you like surprises work here as the management decisions will constantly surprise you.

Cons

There is no communication from management, decisions are constantly made without consultation and schemes are often introduced with no notice given. Salary is appalling most likely because they employ unqualified and inexperienced people which drives salaries down. Management is disorganised and appears to make decisions based on the toss of a coin. Working environment is very unpleasant, lack of facilities for staff. Lack of respect for staff. Appraisals are a joke with everyone given the same 'grade'.

You might like to consider communicating with your staff.

Great atmosphere

Former Employee - Science  in  Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Science in Manchester, England

I worked at Intertek full-time for less than a year

Pros

The team was great and everyone was really friendly and supportive. We were busy most of the time but I have never felt rushed or stressed, there was always a minute to have a quick chat with colleagues or have a laugh. The job was quite varied and if you were up for some challenges or trying out smth new, you could have a chance to do so. It was great that we could come and leave any time considering we do our 40 hours a week (but hours could also go over to future weeks).

Cons

The salary wasn't high enough comparing to similar roles in other companies. There were no bonuses to motivate employees, there were no benefits.

Increase the salaries, Introduce benefits and bonuses for better motivation

Looks good on paper

I have been working at Intertek full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Easy going atmosphere,reasonable salary.On paper a good company to work for has good core values provided by the boses at the top of the tree

Cons

unsociable hours,lack of training for staff,few prospects for advancement,Its the type of company were there isnt the standard of treatment for staff,and there isnt the same continuty of work practices at various site that they own

standise operation procedures across the company.create a standardised training procedure across the company.Not to rely on more experienced staff to train new starters it doesnt work

Great working environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milton Keynes, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Intertek full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Scope to learn and increase your knowledge. New challenges to deal with on a regular basis. Very nice people to work with a flexible work culture.

Cons

Not much career growth. No proper hierarchal structure in place. Not very flattering benefits and pay.

Considering global structure of the company, inter-company communication could be made more transparent. Employee incentives needs to be improved.

Very unpleasant company to work for

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Engineer in Manchester, England

I worked at Intertek full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a very large, growing, and highly profitable company. Drives margin at any cost. Pay is pretty good, and it has a good pension scheme.

Cons

Management are very untrustworthy and weak. There is a small gang in London in a holding company who rule like dictators. They way staff are treated by management is very poor. There is no direction or encouragement. Its very muchg a put up or shut up, my way or the highway approach. A very old fashioned culture which is quite unpleasant.
    The offices are appaulingly bad, 30 year old furniture, dirty carpets, filthy decor, 1970's grey filing cabinets, no air conditioning.
    Marketing is a particular weekness, with a lack of management extertise in head office and direction, and total absence of budgets and resource.

You need to realise that your most important concern should be your number one asset - your staff, and not shareholders. Its great to make a proffit, but whats the point if the company is miserable and hate the management team with a passion? Advice to middle managers - don't just be a lapdog to the senior managers, have some conviction.

Nasty Company to work for

Current Employee - Commercial Manager  in  Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Commercial Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Intertek full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Massive, growing, profitable company, some nice people on the coal face. Good pension scheme. Secure job, if management don't flick you out of the business on a whim.

Cons

Treats staff like dirt. No development opportunities. Horrible dirty offices with no air conditioning. Over-run with non-feeling scientific robot managers with no people skills. Very disjointed company with no strategy or direction. Dictator style team of managers in London barking orders, and sacking everyone they don't like. No value placed on people in the company. Very poor staff retention.

None. They would not take any notice anyway.

Busy place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Leatherhead, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leatherhead, England

I have been working at Intertek full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Growing company, getting bigger all the time. Opportunities to develop new skills through taking on opportunities as they arise

Cons

Workload can be intense at times

Spend more time in the labs

Worked for Intertek? Contribute to the Community!