Intertek

Intertek Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Intertek CEO Wolfhart Hauser

Wolfhart Hauser

Pros
  • We have the power to move into any industry sector where we see growth opportunities and the people to make sure we are successful (in 5 reviews)

• Intertek provides good entry-level jobs that help employees build their customer service skills and teamwork tactics (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • I was denied a request to work fewer hours to improve my work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• There is no communication from management, decisions are constantly made without consultation and schemes are often introduced with no notice given (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to work

Team Leader - Toys and Customer Service (Former Employee) Leicester, England

ProsI was really lucky and had the oportunity from the very begining to create the role into what I wanted it to be. My role was so varied from really focussed customer delivery, visits to new, exisiting and potential clients all the through to supporting my thirst to learn more from a technical perspective.

ConsWith the greatest of respect, some really technical people aren't necessarily great people people (and this remains true even in my job with a different company). Many of the senior colleagues in the business were there (both internal promotions and externally bought in) for technical expertise rather than leadership which was sometimes a miss. The approach at that time to HR issues were a little more generous than other employers. The MD I had when I left was pretty awesome guy though - completely about people.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to how you can inspire the team through leadership and possibilities rather than a pure technicain viewpoint. I only left because succession opportunities were limited due to my need to be based in the Midlands - it was such a hard decision to leave and I do still miss it there.

Lack of management, communication and skilled employees

ProsPension scheme is good. If you like surprises work here as the management decisions will constantly surprise you.

ConsThere is no communication from management, decisions are constantly made without consultation and schemes are often introduced with no notice given. Salary is appalling most likely because they employ unqualified and inexperienced people which drives salaries down. Management is disorganised and appears to make decisions based on the toss of a coin. Working environment is very unpleasant, lack of facilities for staff. Lack of respect for staff. Appraisals are a joke with everyone given the same 'grade'.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou might like to consider communicating with your staff.

Great atmosphere

Science (Former Employee) Manchester, England

ProsThe team was great and everyone was really friendly and supportive. We were busy most of the time but I have never felt rushed or stressed, there was always a minute to have a quick chat with colleagues or have a laugh. The job was quite varied and if you were up for some challenges or trying out smth new, you could have a chance to do so. It was great that we could come and leave any time considering we do our 40 hours a week (but hours could also go over to future weeks).

ConsThe salary wasn't high enough comparing to similar roles in other companies. There were no bonuses to motivate employees, there were no benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the salaries, Introduce benefits and bonuses for better motivation

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

Senior Test Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsProfessional company, with some team building events in the passed. Cuts now mean there will be no team building, which is bad not only for last years team (who are a little torn apart) but for new recruits.

ConsSome of the staff are not as professional as they need to be (as they are in other departments).

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to change

Looks good on paper

ProsEasy going atmosphere,reasonable salary.On paper a good company to work for has good core values provided by the boses at the top of the tree

Consunsociable hours,lack of training for staff,few prospects for advancement,Its the type of company were there isnt the standard of treatment for staff,and there isnt the same continuty of work practices at various site that they own

Advice to Senior Managementstandise operation procedures across the company.create a standardised training procedure across the company.Not to rely on more experienced staff to train new starters it doesnt work

Great working environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Milton Keynes, England

ProsScope to learn and increase your knowledge. New challenges to deal with on a regular basis. Very nice people to work with a flexible work culture.

ConsNot much career growth. No proper hierarchal structure in place. Not very flattering benefits and pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsidering global structure of the company, inter-company communication could be made more transparent. Employee incentives needs to be improved.

Very unpleasant company to work for

Engineer (Former Employee) Manchester, England

ProsIt is a very large, growing, and highly profitable company. Drives margin at any cost. Pay is pretty good, and it has a good pension scheme.

ConsManagement are very untrustworthy and weak. There is a small gang in London in a holding company who rule like dictators. They way staff are treated by management is very poor. There is no direction or encouragement. Its very muchg a put up or shut up, my way or the highway approach. A very old fashioned culture which is quite unpleasant.
    The offices are appaulingly bad, 30 year old furniture, dirty carpets, filthy decor, 1970's grey filing cabinets, no air conditioning.
    Marketing is a particular weekness, with a lack of management extertise in head office and direction, and total absence of budgets and resource.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to realise that your most important concern should be your number one asset - your staff, and not shareholders. Its great to make a proffit, but whats the point if the company is miserable and hate the management team with a passion? Advice to middle managers - don't just be a lapdog to the senior managers, have some conviction.

Nasty Company to work for

Commercial Manager (Current Employee) Manchester, England

ProsMassive, growing, profitable company, some nice people on the coal face. Good pension scheme. Secure job, if management don't flick you out of the business on a whim.

ConsTreats staff like dirt. No development opportunities. Horrible dirty offices with no air conditioning. Over-run with non-feeling scientific robot managers with no people skills. Very disjointed company with no strategy or direction. Dictator style team of managers in London barking orders, and sacking everyone they don't like. No value placed on people in the company. Very poor staff retention.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. They would not take any notice anyway.

Busy place

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Leatherhead, England

ProsGrowing company, getting bigger all the time. Opportunities to develop new skills through taking on opportunities as they arise

ConsWorkload can be intense at times

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time in the labs

London IT

Service Desk Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGlobal company so meet and work with many cultures

Consto much control from USA

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with staff

Worked for Intertek? Contribute to the Community!