Intertek

Updated 16 December 2014
2.9

Intertek CEO Wolfhart Hauser
Wolfhart Hauser

Pros
  • The company is stable and offers fairly good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• On paper a good company to work for has good core values provided by the boses at the top of the tree (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I was denied a request to work fewer hours to improve my work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• You can really expand your network quickly because of the high turnover rate (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to work

Former Employee - Team Leader - Toys and Customer Service in Leicester, England
    Former Employee - Team Leader - Toys and Customer Service in Leicester, England

I worked at Intertek full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was really lucky and had the oportunity from the very begining to create the role into what I wanted it to be. My role was so varied from really focussed customer delivery, visits to new, exisiting and potential clients all the through to supporting my thirst to learn more from a technical perspective.

Cons

With the greatest of respect, some really technical people aren't necessarily great people people (and this remains true even in my job with a different company). Many of the senior colleagues in the business were there (both internal promotions and externally bought in) for technical expertise rather than leadership which was sometimes a miss. The approach at that time to HR issues were a little more generous than other employers. The MD I had when I left was pretty awesome guy though - completely about people.

Look to how you can inspire the team through leadership and possibilities rather than a pure technicain viewpoint. I only left because succession opportunities were limited due to my need to be based in the Midlands - it was such a hard decision to leave and I do still miss it there.

I couldn't wait to get out

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Leatherhead, England
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Leatherhead, England

I worked at Intertek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you really don't go and beg for work, you can just sit in a corner doing nothing all day and you will still get paid. Management will ignore any unacceptable behavior as long as you make money for the company.

Cons

I spend over 6 months doing "ABSOLUTELY" nothing before I was provided with any sort of training. Management have no clue of what they do. I had to go begging for any sort of work or training. There were days where I literally fell asleep staring at my laptop all day but having nothing to do.
    Management has zero knowledge about engineering procedures and values. "Experienced" (old fashioned) engineers refuse to adopt to new engineering requirements and management never takes any action against this. Use too many short cuts to increase revenue and by-pass standard requirements.

Have a back bone to take necessary action when needed

not valued

Current Employee - Administrator in Leatherhead, England
    Current Employee - Administrator in Leatherhead, England

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

FSTE 100 company might look good on one's CV. There are no other Pros for here.

Cons

terrible non existant management
    stupid 'yes men' directors
    pay disparity
    employees not valued at all
    no communication
    no progression opportunities

Would not work for this company again if it was the last job on earth.

I worked at Intertek (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly work colleagues. Old fashioned working environment. The excellent people at the coal face deserve better.

Cons

Poor salary
    Broken promises
    No support
    Severe cost cutting
    People made 'redundant' regularly
    Only work for Intertek if you have no other options.

Needs new management

Good

Current Employee - Senior Test Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Test Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Professional company, with some team building events in the passed. Cuts now mean there will be no team building, which is bad not only for last years team (who are a little torn apart) but for new recruits.

Cons

Some of the staff are not as professional as they need to be (as they are in other departments).

Be more open to change

Lack of management, communication and skilled employees

I have been working at Intertek

Pros

Pension scheme is good. If you like surprises work here as the management decisions will constantly surprise you.

Cons

There is no communication from management, decisions are constantly made without consultation and schemes are often introduced with no notice given. Salary is appalling most likely because they employ unqualified and inexperienced people which drives salaries down. Management is disorganised and appears to make decisions based on the toss of a coin. Working environment is very unpleasant, lack of facilities for staff. Lack of respect for staff. Appraisals are a joke with everyone given the same 'grade'.

You might like to consider communicating with your staff.

Great atmosphere

Former Employee - Science in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Science in Manchester, England

I worked at Intertek full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The team was great and everyone was really friendly and supportive. We were busy most of the time but I have never felt rushed or stressed, there was always a minute to have a quick chat with colleagues or have a laugh. The job was quite varied and if you were up for some challenges or trying out smth new, you could have a chance to do so. It was great that we could come and leave any time considering we do our 40 hours a week (but hours could also go over to future weeks).

Cons

The salary wasn't high enough comparing to similar roles in other companies. There were no bonuses to motivate employees, there were no benefits.

Increase the salaries, Introduce benefits and bonuses for better motivation

Looks good on paper

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy going atmosphere,reasonable salary.On paper a good company to work for has good core values provided by the boses at the top of the tree

Cons

unsociable hours,lack of training for staff,few prospects for advancement,Its the type of company were there isnt the standard of treatment for staff,and there isnt the same continuty of work practices at various site that they own

standise operation procedures across the company.create a standardised training procedure across the company.Not to rely on more experienced staff to train new starters it doesnt work

Great working environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Scope to learn and increase your knowledge. New challenges to deal with on a regular basis. Very nice people to work with a flexible work culture.

Cons

Not much career growth. No proper hierarchal structure in place. Not very flattering benefits and pay.

Considering global structure of the company, inter-company communication could be made more transparent. Employee incentives needs to be improved.

Very unpleasant company to work for

Former Employee - Engineer in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Engineer in Manchester, England

I worked at Intertek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a very large, growing, and highly profitable company. Drives margin at any cost. Pay is pretty good, and it has a good pension scheme.

Cons

Management are very untrustworthy and weak. There is a small gang in London in a holding company who rule like dictators. They way staff are treated by management is very poor. There is no direction or encouragement. Its very muchg a put up or shut up, my way or the highway approach. A very old fashioned culture which is quite unpleasant.
    The offices are appaulingly bad, 30 year old furniture, dirty carpets, filthy decor, 1970's grey filing cabinets, no air conditioning.
    Marketing is a particular weekness, with a lack of management extertise in head office and direction, and total absence of budgets and resource.

You need to realise that your most important concern should be your number one asset - your staff, and not shareholders. Its great to make a proffit, but whats the point if the company is miserable and hate the management team with a passion? Advice to middle managers - don't just be a lapdog to the senior managers, have some conviction.