Intertek

Intertek Reviews

Updated Mar 05, 2014

Intertek CEO Wolfhart Hauser

Wolfhart Hauser

Pros:
  • "Intertek offers new engineers a wide selection of entry level positions"
    in 3 reviews
  • "easy going, very flexible hours, variety of test to run, good job for someone without a degree or experience"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "I was denied a request to work fewer hours to improve my work/life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Too many hours, not enough pay and absolutely no communication from management"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great working environment

Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Intertek full-time for more than 5 years

ProsScope to learn and increase your knowledge. New challenges to deal with on a regular basis. Very nice people to work with a flexible work culture.

ConsNot much career growth. No proper hierarchal structure in place. Not very flattering benefits and pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsidering global structure of the company, inter-company communication could be made more transparent. Employee incentives needs to be improved.

Very unpleasant company to work for

Engineer (Former Employee)
Manchester, England

I worked at Intertek full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt is a very large, growing, and highly profitable company. Drives margin at any cost. Pay is pretty good, and it has a good pension scheme.

ConsManagement are very untrustworthy and weak. There is a small gang in London in a holding company who rule like dictators. They way staff are treated by management is very poor. There is no direction or encouragement. Its very muchg a put up or shut up, my way or the highway approach. A very old fashioned culture which is quite unpleasant.
The offices are appaulingly bad, 30 year old furniture, dirty carpets, filthy decor, 1970's grey filing cabinets, no air conditioning.
Marketing is a particular weekness, with a lack of management extertise in head office and direction, and total absence of budgets and resource.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to realise that your most important concern should be your number one asset - your staff, and not shareholders. Its great to make a proffit, but whats the point if the company is miserable and hate the management team with a passion? Advice to middle managers - don't just be a lapdog to the senior managers, have some conviction.

Busy place

Leatherhead, England

I have been working at Intertek full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGrowing company, getting bigger all the time. Opportunities to develop new skills through taking on opportunities as they arise

ConsWorkload can be intense at times

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time in the labs

London IT

Service Desk Manager (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Intertek

ProsGlobal company so meet and work with many cultures

Consto much control from USA

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with staff

This Nationally-Recognized Testing Laboratory is a high pressure place to learn fast and work hard.

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Intertek full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou will learn testing methods, analytical thinking, and the hustle to succeed in a testing lab. You will learn a variety of equipment within your test specialty. Other test labs value employees of this company.

ConsFrequent turnover prevents group cohesion. Pressure is high. Salary increases are not strongly connected to performance. Improvisation of test setups is likely.

Advice to Senior ManagementA stable command structure, stable team structure, and regimented training of new hires, would promote team spirit and overall team skill.

What was that?

Technician (Former Employee)
Cortland, NY (US)

I worked at Intertek full-time for more than a year

ProsGood bennies and that's all.

Cons2 years of my life I can't get back. Words can't describe the Cortland Ny office.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in fresh management. That 5s fiasco was Awwwwwful.

Large cooperation but capable people that take pride in their work.

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)

I worked at Intertek full-time for more than a year

ProsThe resources of a large cooperation and the ability to implement services new or old across five continent in a single season or two. Management is fairly flat and there is an openness to new ideas and innovation. Good support for talented employees.

ConsLike a big organization there is bureaucracy and a mixture of values. Some employees take pride in their work but corruption does exist among social and environmental auditors. Lack of a "mission" focus and focus on shareholder profits creates pressure to lower standards, work auditors hard and be defensive to criticism. This makes Intertek and competitors controversial in their field as they are pulled between customers that want the minimal costs versus those that want the highest standards for social and environmental auditing. The company does take this problem seriously and work to address it, but many feel they do not do enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn the area of CSR flexibility and ethical missions need to be brought more attention.

like walmart

Chemist III (Current Employee)
Champaign, IL (US)

Prosgood paid time off. retirement, 401k good

Conslazy people got the same salary as working hard employee

Project Coordinator client load too great to offer proper customer service

Project Coordinator (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Intertek full-time for more than a year

ProsThe benefits package is competitive. Vacation and sick leave are good.

ConsManagement's shortsighted pursuit of profit is blind to workload of the core group of workers that make profit possible.

Management at the Lake Forest office have no respect for their engineers or other workers

Facilities (Current Employee)
Lake Forest, CA (US)

I have been working at Intertek full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood vacation benefits, Good health benefits

ConsCompany is making money hands over fist. Cut back on a lot of perks. My work load more than doubled, I was promised another worker never happened. I walked

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you make promises keep them.

Worked for Intertek? Contribute to the Community!

Intertek Videos

Intertek – Why Work for Us?

For more than 127 years, companies around the world have depended on Intertek to ensure the quality and safety of their products, processes and systems. We go beyond testing, inspecting and certifying products… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Intertek reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Intertek CEO Wolfhart Hauser. All 95 reviews are posted anonymously by Intertek employees.