Iron Mountain Inc
www.ironmountain.com Boston, MA 5000+ Employees

Iron Mountain Inc Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

William Meaney

Pros:
  • "Great work-life balance, Iron Mountain understands that your family has a priority"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Good benefits, great people to work with, always something new happening"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "lost focus of the customer service demands of a company who's top product is service"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Upper management is new so the path is uncertain"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Iron Mountain scaling to grow

Corporate Role (Current Employee)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood people, not political, big agenda with a continued focus on growth, opportunity to get involved in lots of different projects, some flexible working which is driven by manager rather than policy

ConsWeak Middle managers, heavily focused of results rather than people, high expectations of people which results in heavy workload

Advice to Senior ManagementMandate training for middle managers, be more visible and think about the people occasionally

Iron Mountain UK. Just a Job.

Date Centre Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking hours suit me well. Can be flexible if and when needed. The people I work with are fantastic.

ConsVery top heavy company, seems like there is more management than staff. We've had staff leave in the last couple of years that have not been replaced so the few staff that we have in the warehouse have to bare the burden. As a result we can't always deliver our promises to the customers.
Management doesn't like to listen to their workforce and often say "its tomorrows problem"
There is no advancement to your career what so ever and the basic salary is poor compared to what is expected from you.
Very few useful benefits.
There is a blame culture.
Companies "Core Values" often seem to be ignore/overlooked

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease listen to your staff. Show them more respect as they deserve it. Try to bring the quality and service back to the customers.

Was a great place to work at but has lost it's people focus over last 3 years and now has very poor emaployee engagement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 5 years

Prosevolving and growing organisation with many opportunities to make a significant contribution and impact on a personal level

ConsOrganisational values are no longer adhered to or role-modeled at a senior level and the leadership have lost touch with that workforce so the two are working in polo directions

Advice to Senior ManagementTake heed of the engagement results and pay attention to what the workforce are saying. The agenda is too big and important to achieve without the engagement of the teams

Some good people ruined by a rotten culture

Business Development Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome good people who work hard to do the right thing, contribute to the company without asking for recognition. Salary not bad nor the commission scheme in years gone by. Decent sales managers on the whole and they are the market leader so incoming leads and existing client base is strong.

ConsPoor management from the top down. Loosing customers left right and centre due to poor customer service and service delivery. Makes future sales tougher and tougher as clients are becoming increasingly aware of the company's shortcomings. Top level management unaware of the rotten culture within the company (which they foster). Would love for them to listen to the people - just the once.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff and listen to your customers. If something is broken - fix it properly. Sticky plasters on open wounds do not heal.

Not a good place to work

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc

ProsThe people are in the main good, friendly and hard working people
The location is good
Opportunity for corporate people to work from home occasionally is good

ConsSalaries are way below par
Benefits are basic at best
No season ticket loans are available
Lots of red tape to get even basic changes through
Too much change taking place at the moment all across the business
Minimal family friendly policies
Lack of transparency of senior leadership
Very unrealistic targets in terms of cost savings

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hide in your offices - most of us don't even know what you look like, and it would be good to see / hear from you once in a while!

Iron Mountain,UK

Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc

ProsIron Mountain has a good reputation among other companies as it has many high profile clients,it also employs over 20000 people in the UK.

ConsIron Mountain UK, offer poor pay and conditions for the warehouse staff,in my experience they will also bend the rules and procedures in order to make sure that the targets are met.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to have a proper career pathway for the staff as it is often down to favouritism,too much office politics and a uncompetitive pay scale makes Iron Mountain undesirable.

Iron Mountain is not as great as it could be.

Data Centre Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc

ProsLots of great people work at the company from all kinds of disciplines and backgrounds.

ConsA huge blame culture existed during my tenure. It was not "one strike and you are out " - but it was pretty close.

Middle managers were actively engaged in protecting their own positions and that of their loyal subjects at the expense of up and coming star performers, who were culled during the opportunity arising from recent economic downturn.

The company has too many poorly qualified "up through the ranks managers" who are seriously deficient in the required levels of motivational, developmental, interpersonal and basic management skills required by todays global economy.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer better initial training and follow up support to team members if you want the organization to continue to remain the market leader in the field.

Look at how effective the management teams are operating at the GM level and below.

Don't always assume that smaller competitors in the records management and off site data protection industry offer a poorer service just because they are able to undercut your rates.

Great People - But needs a strategic vision for future growth

Manager (Current Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- The People/Culture. Iron Mountain employees are bright, hard working, and cooperative. They want to do the best job possible regardless of which department you deal with. The people are by far the best thing about the company.

- Benefits and Pay - Fair. They are pretty fair and standard for a large enterprise organization.

- Layoffs - Company had two big layoffs in two years. However, the last layoff, they treated most people with dignity and respect. Gave a good severance, gave people a transition time before they had to leave, Communication was open and up front about the changes. I think the senior leadership team really treated and handled the people better the most companies I've heard about.

- Name Recognition - It's the most well known name in the document storage business. It also has a global presence and no competitors that have anywhere near the same national footprint.

Cons- Lack of strategic vision for the future. Sales people are still asked to focus on selling paper document storage - something that is quickly becoming obsolete. Commissions on other services like scanning are quite low and pricing is not competitive. Company has focused too much on short term gain of selling paper storage revenue, but how long is that going to last?

- Converted to a REIT to save on taxes - but unclear how becoming a real estate investment trust for tax breaks shows the company is looking towards to future growth and innovation in the US market.

Advice to Senior ManagementIron Mountain was once a giant in it's industry. #1 in it's field and a world class brand that was incredibly profitable and successful... BUT so was Blockbuster, Kodak, Borders, BlackBerry, Dell, Motorola, Sony, Sears.... and the list goes on. You need to pivot the ship - innovate new services and products. Stop doubling down on paper storage and invest in a real long term on strategy for growth.

Enjoyed working with the people there

Document Imaging (Former Employee)
Livermore, CA (US)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for less than a year

ProsFor those interested in career growth, Iron Mountain is a good place to work. Willingness to work learn and solve problem will get you far

Consdidn't get hired on permanently

OK company to work for, but clearly has lost some of its luster

Billing Specialist (Current Employee)
Royersford, PA (US)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWith a right attitude and a strong desire to want to do more, this organization will respond by providing excellent opportunities. I started in collections and worked my way to one of the company's top billing analysts, but only after I had applied myself by going back to school for my graduate degree and asking for more work to do. I was a trusted and valued employee there for a number of years as a result, and felt a part of a large "family", wanting to serve and support the customer base at a high level. The company culture has been better and has been communicated well by HR; it has definitely changed from when I first started with the company over 10 years ago.

ConsThe organization is undergoing a large transition by shipping most of its transactional data and work overseas as part of a cost cutting measure, although senior leadership will not communicate that to its current employees for fear of political reasons. There is not a great deal of immediate future opportunities for advancement, as there have been 3 job cuts in the last 5 years (2009-2013). The transactional data transition has not been as smooth as the senior leadership believes it has been (in fact, it's been quite rocky and very inconsistent), and the amount of customer anger is building. Issues where customers are receiving refund checks and past due statements from the organization at the same time are becoming common. In my job as a billing specialist, there were 7 different middle managers and/or VPs between myself and the CEO of the company. One VP stated in an all-employee quarterly meeting that Iron Mountain was "behind the times" when it came to job cutbacks; to me, this was a direct slap in the face to those workers that have been faithful to the organization and provided no peace to people's job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe organization needs to look at itself and cut out the levels of middle management (or eliminate some of the VPs) in order to improve its communication between the CEO and the employees. Transactional data processors must return back to the US, or the current overseas staff must get its collective act together before the customers' anger boils over. The company's VPs must attend a "charm school" in order to effectively communicate to its employees when job cutbacks are being announced. The company can return to its former "glory days", but only when upper management humble themselves for the mistakes they have made and hires back quality people in the US to handle its day to day work responsibilities.

Worked for Iron Mountain Inc? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Iron Mountain Inc reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Iron Mountain Inc CEO William Meaney. All 303 reviews are posted anonymously by Iron Mountain Inc employees.