Iron Mountain Inc Reviews

Updated 22 April 2015
425 reviews filtered by
2.9
William Meaney

Pros
  • Nice work/life balance, options to work from home depending on the nature of your position (in 19 reviews)

• Global company with good benefits & on site subsidized cafeteria (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Like most places upper management has no clue what people actually goes through on a daily basis (in 16 reviews)

• Outsourcing customer service to the Phillipines initlally irritated customers (in 14 reviews)

Wouldn't go back

Former Employee - BDE in London, England
    Former Employee - BDE in London, England

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great brand, great sales team in Mid Market during my time. Loads of other great folks the business.

Cons

Management of Mid market sales was trapped in 1970's micro management style with no insight or vision, All been brought in from rentagenericsalesmanagers.com. Many had recently moved Jim Henson companies bringing with them a distinct style of management.
    Senior Management included carousel of MD's, each with the their idea how to make things work. We had 5 in 9 years, better chances being a football manager. This produced the instability of constant restructuring and jostling for power.
    Latterly management done everything but listen to the frontline troops and very few of their fixes worked. They operated a distinct closed door policy with some of the SLT imbuing themselves with the status of business Gods and living in suitably constructed ivory towers.
    IM have lost focus and are losing customers by the hundreds.

Advice to Management

Get a life.

2. 10 years with IM and overall a good organisation to work for, who pay well

Former Employee - Sales/Account Management in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales/Account Management in London, England

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People I worked with were great and the main reason why I think I stayed, good career progression.

Cons

Selling to internal stakeholders on big deals, loss of direction and risk taking on large deals, processes over complicated

Advice to Management

Some of the management were not good at managing or taking ownership. Take more risk and be more flexible to meet market expectations

3. Iron Mountain scaling to grow

Current Employee - Corporate Role in London, England
    Current Employee - Corporate Role in London, England

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, not political, big agenda with a continued focus on growth, opportunity to get involved in lots of different projects, some flexible working which is driven by manager rather than policy

Cons

Weak Middle managers, heavily focused of results rather than people, high expectations of people which results in heavy workload

Advice to Management

Mandate training for middle managers, be more visible and think about the people occasionally

Iron Mountain UK. Just a Job.

Current Employee - Date Centre Specialist
    Current Employee - Date Centre Specialist

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working hours suit me well. Can be flexible if and when needed. The people I work with are fantastic.

Cons

Very top heavy company, seems like there is more management than staff. We've had staff leave in the last couple of years that have not been replaced so the few staff that we have in the warehouse have to bare the burden. As a result we can't always deliver our promises to the customers.
    Management doesn't like to listen to their workforce and often say "its tomorrows problem"
    There is no advancement to your career what so ever and the basic salary is poor compared to what is expected from you.
    Very few useful benefits.
    There is a blame culture.
    Companies "Core Values" often seem to be ignore/overlooked

Advice to Management

Please listen to your staff. Show them more respect as they deserve it. Try to bring the quality and service back to the customers.

6. Was a great place to work at but has lost it's people focus over last 3 years and now has very poor emaployee engagement

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

evolving and growing organisation with many opportunities to make a significant contribution and impact on a personal level

Cons

Organisational values are no longer adhered to or role-modeled at a senior level and the leadership have lost touch with that workforce so the two are working in polo directions

Advice to Management

Take heed of the engagement results and pay attention to what the workforce are saying. The agenda is too big and important to achieve without the engagement of the teams

Some good people ruined by a rotten culture

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive in London, England

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some good people who work hard to do the right thing, contribute to the company without asking for recognition. Salary not bad nor the commission scheme in years gone by. Decent sales managers on the whole and they are the market leader so incoming leads and existing client base is strong.

Cons

Poor management from the top down. Loosing customers left right and centre due to poor customer service and service delivery. Makes future sales tougher and tougher as clients are becoming increasingly aware of the company's shortcomings. Top level management unaware of the rotten culture within the company (which they foster). Would love for them to listen to the people - just the once.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and listen to your customers. If something is broken - fix it properly. Sticky plasters on open wounds do not heal.

Not a good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc

Pros

The people are in the main good, friendly and hard working people
    The location is good
    Opportunity for corporate people to work from home occasionally is good

Cons

Salaries are way below par
    Benefits are basic at best
    No season ticket loans are available
    Lots of red tape to get even basic changes through
    Too much change taking place at the moment all across the business
    Minimal family friendly policies
    Lack of transparency of senior leadership
    Very unrealistic targets in terms of cost savings

Advice to Management

Don't hide in your offices - most of us don't even know what you look like, and it would be good to see / hear from you once in a while!

Iron Mountain,UK

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in London, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in London, England

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc

Pros

Iron Mountain has a good reputation among other companies as it has many high profile clients,it also employs over 20000 people in the UK.

Cons

Iron Mountain UK, offer poor pay and conditions for the warehouse staff,in my experience they will also bend the rules and procedures in order to make sure that the targets are met.

Advice to Management

They need to have a proper career pathway for the staff as it is often down to favouritism,too much office politics and a uncompetitive pay scale makes Iron Mountain undesirable.

10. Iron Mountain is not as great as it could be.

Current Employee - Data Centre Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Data Centre Manager in London, England

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc

Pros

Lots of great people work at the company from all kinds of disciplines and backgrounds.

Cons

A huge blame culture existed during my tenure. It was not "one strike and you are out " - but it was pretty close.

Middle managers were actively engaged in protecting their own positions and that of their loyal subjects at the expense of up and coming star performers, who were culled during the opportunity arising from recent economic downturn.

The company has too many poorly qualified "up through the ranks managers" who are seriously deficient in the required levels of motivational, developmental, interpersonal and basic management skills required by todays global economy.

Advice to Management

Offer better initial training and follow up support to team members if you want the organization to continue to remain the market leader in the field.

Look at how effective the management teams are operating at the GM level and below.

Don't always assume that smaller competitors in the records management and off site data protection industry offer a poorer service just because they are able to undercut your rates.

11. Senior Business Development Executive, Healthcare

Current Employee - Business Development Executive
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable company in the sales division, especially on the National and Vertical teams.

Cons

Iron Mountain is an Operations company - not a sales company. Sales compensation is clunky and this is not a forecasting/bookings culture. Though efforts are being made to change that, Sales clearly takes a back seat to Ops.

Advice to Management

Figure out what kind of sales team you want - and if you want to attract and keep strategic enterprise reps - figure out a way to motivate and reward them for their efforts.