Iron Mountain Inc

www.ironmountain.com

Iron Mountain Inc Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

William Meaney

Pros
  • Good front line employees and work life balance is ok(in 15 reviews)

• Good benefits, great people to work with, always something new happening(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Like most places upper management has no clue what people actually goes through on a daily basis(in 13 reviews)

• Concern for the customer as the Customer Service is poorly trained and HIGH turnover with CS(in 12 reviews)

Iron Mountain scaling to grow

Corporate Role (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGood people, not political, big agenda with a continued focus on growth, opportunity to get involved in lots of different projects, some flexible working which is driven by manager rather than policy

ConsWeak Middle managers, heavily focused of results rather than people, high expectations of people which results in heavy workload

Advice to Senior ManagementMandate training for middle managers, be more visible and think about the people occasionally

Iron Mountain UK. Just a Job.

Date Centre Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsWorking hours suit me well. Can be flexible if and when needed. The people I work with are fantastic.

ConsVery top heavy company, seems like there is more management than staff. We've had staff leave in the last couple of years that have not been replaced so the few staff that we have in the warehouse have to bare the burden. As a result we can't always deliver our promises to the customers.
    Management doesn't like to listen to their workforce and often say "its tomorrows problem"
    There is no advancement to your career what so ever and the basic salary is poor compared to what is expected from you.
    Very few useful benefits.
    There is a blame culture.
    Companies "Core Values" often seem to be ignore/overlooked

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease listen to your staff. Show them more respect as they deserve it. Try to bring the quality and service back to the customers.

Was a great place to work at but has lost it's people focus over last 3 years and now has very poor emaployee engagement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosevolving and growing organisation with many opportunities to make a significant contribution and impact on a personal level

ConsOrganisational values are no longer adhered to or role-modeled at a senior level and the leadership have lost touch with that workforce so the two are working in polo directions

Advice to Senior ManagementTake heed of the engagement results and pay attention to what the workforce are saying. The agenda is too big and important to achieve without the engagement of the teams

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Some good people ruined by a rotten culture

Business Development Executive (Current Employee) London, England

ProsSome good people who work hard to do the right thing, contribute to the company without asking for recognition. Salary not bad nor the commission scheme in years gone by. Decent sales managers on the whole and they are the market leader so incoming leads and existing client base is strong.

ConsPoor management from the top down. Loosing customers left right and centre due to poor customer service and service delivery. Makes future sales tougher and tougher as clients are becoming increasingly aware of the company's shortcomings. Top level management unaware of the rotten culture within the company (which they foster). Would love for them to listen to the people - just the once.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff and listen to your customers. If something is broken - fix it properly. Sticky plasters on open wounds do not heal.

Not a good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

ProsThe people are in the main good, friendly and hard working people
    The location is good
    Opportunity for corporate people to work from home occasionally is good

ConsSalaries are way below par
    Benefits are basic at best
    No season ticket loans are available
    Lots of red tape to get even basic changes through
    Too much change taking place at the moment all across the business
    Minimal family friendly policies
    Lack of transparency of senior leadership
    Very unrealistic targets in terms of cost savings

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hide in your offices - most of us don't even know what you look like, and it would be good to see / hear from you once in a while!

Iron Mountain,UK

Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) London, England

ProsIron Mountain has a good reputation among other companies as it has many high profile clients,it also employs over 20000 people in the UK.

ConsIron Mountain UK, offer poor pay and conditions for the warehouse staff,in my experience they will also bend the rules and procedures in order to make sure that the targets are met.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to have a proper career pathway for the staff as it is often down to favouritism,too much office politics and a uncompetitive pay scale makes Iron Mountain undesirable.

Iron Mountain is not as great as it could be.

Data Centre Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsLots of great people work at the company from all kinds of disciplines and backgrounds.

ConsA huge blame culture existed during my tenure. It was not "one strike and you are out " - but it was pretty close.

Middle managers were actively engaged in protecting their own positions and that of their loyal subjects at the expense of up and coming star performers, who were culled during the opportunity arising from recent economic downturn.

The company has too many poorly qualified "up through the ranks managers" who are seriously deficient in the required levels of motivational, developmental, interpersonal and basic management skills required by todays global economy.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer better initial training and follow up support to team members if you want the organization to continue to remain the market leader in the field.

Look at how effective the management teams are operating at the GM level and below.

Don't always assume that smaller competitors in the records management and off site data protection industry offer a poorer service just because they are able to undercut your rates.

Operation Supervisor

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsPay, work life balance, resources

ConsJob Stability, a lot of "old timers" with horrible business minds, knowledgeable supervisors and managers with little leadership skills.

Bright, caring staff poised to successfully land high growth opportunities now that it's a REIT

Solutions Architect (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsBright and surprisingly creative and flexible staff makes work engaging and fun. Long-timers know where the bodies are buried and are able to steer newbies clear of potential problems. Much of the training is self-help videos and online exercises, generally very good. Excellent market data, leads and research ensure the best and brightest have the best info to make good decisions and to be most productive. Solid benefits and pay. Vision and Mission are easy to get behind and support.

ConsA challenging environment to gain proficiency; some processes seem over engineered and people in the know go around these hurdles, causing fires elsewhere. Good communication and transparency, though, but cycles are burned unnecessarily. CYA emails and figuring out what's going on by the 48th forward is tedious, but it's in the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need a process to autopsy things that go wrong and another to challenge industry data and stats based on our own experiences. Teams in the field have a lot of industry and competitive insight that could better be shared - perhaps on Salesforce "Chatter" Also, we should have "No Meeting Fridays" to catch up, distill and share what we've learned.

It's a paycheck

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hollywood, CA (US)

ProsFairly easy going, not a lot of pressure - with the exception of one micro-manager. But everyplace has the one disgruntled employee that ruins it for everyone.

ConsOnly upper management is staff. Everyone else is "permanent" freelance. And the company does little things to remind you of your non-employee status all the time.

Worked for Iron Mountain Inc? Contribute to the Community!