Iron Mountain Inc

www.ironmountain.com
Profile Unclaimed

Great potential but leaders not addressing real issues

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time

Pros

Nice, well-meaning people; strong culture of doing the right thing; belief in talent as strategy; strong financial management; commitment to social responsibility.

Cons

Gap between intent and execution. Very risk averse; old boy network, especially in the field; too many people who have only worked at Iron Mountain/stuck in tradition; too much DIY for employees to function efficiently (and happily).

Address the "cons." Ask people to help you solve problems, create solutions -- too much input and thinking trapped at the senior level.

Good place to work if you're in the right organization

Current Employee - Program Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, and work/family balance.

Cons

Abrupt organizational changes seem to occur on a regular basis.

Watch your back.

Director

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc

Pros

The company attracts smart dedicated and smart people. Iron Mountain is a good company with great people who work very hard.

Cons

Iron Mountain's revenue is dependent upon paper storage in its core. Technology is replacing the need for paper and since paper related businesses are experiencing rapid declines (printers, greeting cards, etc.) the company must reinvent themselves to continue to grow.

Don't leave the matter of evolution to the next generation of leaders. It is not enough to place emphasis day-by-day on turned numbers to hit immediate revenue targets. Determine what Iron Mountain is going to be 20 years from now; then invest time, money and energy into what is next.

Under paid. Under appreciated.

Current Employee - Records Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Records Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc

Pros

Benefits, Bonuses, Volunteering programs.

Cons

Work load, Physically demanding, Annual raise, Treadmill job can't move up. Pay not worth how much they work you

Value your employees like you value you're customers. Tryna to squeeze every little production out of your workers while not worrying about safety our well being.

A good traditional company with opportunities for the ambitious, flexible, patient, mobile, and ops-inclined

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance is absolutely attainable if you use your time and focus effectively. Career advancement opportunities are yours for the taking if you actively pursue development and growth opportunities (you must have smart initiative), if you are willing to wait, and if you are willing to relocate. Benefits are solid - middle of the pack for good large companies, and they make continual improvements. Many resources have been expended and made available to all people leaders to help them be better managers for their direct reports. Iron Mountain is always looking to improve. I think the most recent changes have been in everyone's favor and the growth we need might finally take hold.

Cons

I haven't worked for many other large corporations, and I hear this is par for most of them, but the reorganization addiction really needs to settle down a bit. This is especially true in the IT department. The disconnect between the aspirational core values and the realities of management/shareholder-driven business decisions is jarring and could use some soul-searching and reconciliation. The supervisor role is in need of a re-evaluation of duties; too much of the role is administrative and tactical, and they need much more time available to spend being mentored and developing their people leadership.

I'm all for change for the better, but sometimes you need more than 6 months to see if a change worked or not. Or, let's not decide to do a change if there's strong evidence that it's not the right direction, and maybe we won't need to course-correct in 6 months. I'm not saying we should freeze up every time we are trying to make a decision. But sometimes I don't know if leadership across all levels truly owns their decisions, including the fact that it might take extra assistance and resources in the short-term in order to implement the change well and take care of unforeseen circumstances, even if we are trying to save costs in the long run.

But the future looks good and the past year we saw some encouraging changes in leadership behavior. Emphasize the "Good to Great" mentality so that folks aren't constantly worried that the company is tanking every time we talk numbers, but rather that we're looking to be even better than the good we already are. Limit initiatives across the company and give leaders time to fully implement one before rolling out another one.

Client Relationship Executive

Current Employee - Client Relationship Executive in Royersford, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Executive in Royersford, PA (US)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company tries to do right by employees, even if they make a decision and it's not well received they attempt to change it to accommodate the employee population

Cons

Sales team are segmented out. Management is okay but . A lot of constant change and no room to advance.

Managers need first hand knowledge of how to do sales role, they need to be open to help, educate, and listen.

Where is Iron Mountain headed?

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good company! Leader in the industry. Iron Mountain has good intentions to be fair to employees. Benefit package is good compared to other companies. Excellent work/life balance for many in sales. Freedom to work in the office or home thanks to VOIP technology. Most employees have been with the company for more then 10 years now. Historically, many are proud to work for this organization.

Cons

The industry is changing and Iron Mountain is struggling survive. Customer are no longer storing paper due to the cloud. Many layoffs and pay cuts is common place now. Most of the long term talent is gone due to salary, commission changes (on top of an unrealistic quotas to store more paper) . Every year, there is a new program. Nothing sticks long enough to measure results. The year Iron Mountain was forced to change to a REIT, the dynamics of the company changed.

Stop the good talent from leaving! Dig deep in the field to have a better understanding. Money drives behavior so go back to realistic quotas. At this point, no one is happy. Morale is low!

Get rid of some of that real estate and invest in new customer focused technology to stay relevant.

Good Experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Jersey City, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Jersey City, NJ (US)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc

Pros

-Opportunities to grow (but not expressed to employees)
    -Bonuses
    -Staff Lunches
    -Diversity

Cons

-Poor management
    -Lack of training
    -Office culture lacking
    -Go by the book management style
     -dark offices/cubicles

Opportunity exists for mature business with continued focus on Customer

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mature business with potential for growth outside of North America

Cons

Balance focus on International and emerging market growth with mature North America business

Stay focused on the customer

Stagnant work.

Current Employee - Tech Lead in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Tech Lead in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Wfh and flexible timings. Nice space.

Cons

Culture of meetings for everything. Late night calls, support expectations, Indian management is so called not worth a bit.

None