Itron

www.itron.com

Itron Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Philip Mezey

Pros
  • Good work / life balance and the ability to work in different fields(in 5 reviews)

• Itron benefited greatly from the government stimulating the utility companies to investing the Smart-Grid technologies(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • India (Energy) business being deliberately killed(in 4 reviews)

Technical Consultant II (Former Employee)

Pros-- Good work culture
    -- Well regarded in its industry

Cons-- Very poor managers
    -- Very poor expense report policy
    -- High prevalence of insider culture. Only a few people get the plum assignments
    -- No support for innovative and critical thinking
    -- As a company missing the boat on the big analytics market

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the culture. It might be a painful process to build better products but it will be worthwile

Good company, poor management

Technical Consultant II (Former Employee) Liberty Lake, WA (US)

ProsFantastic people to work with, company wants to help make an impact on the future.

ConsPoor management, HR that is not willing to clean house of their managers/directors despite many formal complaints. Not willing to pay employees what the market says they should.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on better managers and employee retention

Itron is a great company to work for

Business Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsTalented and Intelligent group of people who work well together.
    Great employee benefits program
    Great software product
    Utilization rate for employees is great.

ConsPoor expense policy
    Median pay as compared to other large companies

Advice to Senior ManagementReview expense policy as turning in receipts for every single expense is time consuming and not the best use of time for busy consultants.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Growing company, opportunities for advancement—excellent place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Liberty Lake, WA (US)

ProsWork/life balance
    Multinational company
    Solid technology recognized as industry-leading

ConsMany departments are fast-paced. This is not the place for you if you are interested in doing the exact same thing everyday.

Very Good

Design Engineer (Current Employee) West Union, SC (US)

ProsGood work culture with prospects of progress and chance of applying your knowledge to the practical applications. Overall very good company

ConsLow Salary and slow pace of development with lot of product redundancies and lack of technical know how to work in fast pace environment. Poor customer support

Advice to Senior ManagementPay some more

Great Company

Consultant (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsWorking hard to find new revenue streams. New focus on developing employees. Company is trying to change its culture for better work/life balance.

ConsLiberty Lake office is corporate HQ. That is a difficult office to get to from everywhere in the country. A centralized office would be better for meeting space.

Good place to work

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Oakland, CA (US)

ProsGood benefits. Tries to take care of it's employees. Very positive work environment. New executive team helped shift culture.

ConsCompany struggles with process and transition to being a real enterprise. In transition during challenging market. Personalities and "old ways" keep from moving coming into more disciplined, strategic thinking and execution. Don't know how to manage strategy development and execution in efficient manner. Too many personalities and no history of this type of leadership.

Good company if you get & can keep the right Boss

Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsWhen profits/revenues were good...bonus and profit sharing was nice. HQ and Raleigh office are comfortable. Business processes usually organized. Most people are friendly, professional, and talented. Products work and relatively few product issues. Communication from management is above average but not perfect.

I was Project Manager for nearly 5 years, and had the best boss I have ever worked in my 20yr career.

ConsI did the same job for over 4 years and my boss changed 3 times. First 2 were great and the last was a "Dud".

Not all, but some managers could care less about an employee's work/life balance and the unique values an employee can provide the company.

Travel can be extreme. Doing the same job, I went from 10% for the first 18 months to 100% when I left.

Employees are expected to the bank. Itron's travel policy (when I worked there) required the employee pay for all the travel expenses from personal funds and then submit expense accounts for reimbursement. If I missed an expense, it was out of my pocket. My expenses exceeded $50k/ yr.

Incentives/bonuses for project mangers became more complex and virtually unobtainable. I quite trying.

I was laid off (by the Dud boss) because I would not accept a project that required travel 100%, 2 time zones away for almost a year. My boss did absolutely nothing to help me find a job within company as well. I felt as if I was "just sucked in" and later "spit out." Itron did provide a minimal severance package only after some negotiation.

There is a high turnover rate of project managers and sale executives.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your staff and they will take care of your company.

OK company wish management understood systems and software.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsHard problems and fast moving.

ConsThe company as a whole does not think like a software solutions company, however it wants to be one.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

It's ok.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Liberty Lake, WA (US)

ProsGood people to work with. Lots of friends. Flexible work hours.

ConsManagement doesn't listen to the "troops". Too many politics for a comfortable work place.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to more than the Sales staff.

Worked for Itron? Contribute to the Community!