Itron Reviews

Updated 14 September 2014
Updated 14 September 2014
2.4

Philip Mezey

Pros
  • Good work / life balance and the ability to work in different fields (in 5 reviews)

• Itron benefited greatly from the government stimulating the utility companies to investing the Smart-Grid technologies (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • India (Energy) business being deliberately killed (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Smart ppl love this job

Current Employee - Intern IV  in  Waseca, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Intern IV in Waseca, MN (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time for less than a year

Pros

good people, heavy community involvement, smart people, give scholarships and believes highly in education

Cons

honestly if i was gonna say anything they could use more eye candy walking around

Great changes taking place

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There has been a lot of change in management lately, but I think it's very much for the better. A lot of people were in roles that they were grandfathered into due to tenture, but had no business or aptitude for that kind of role. The new management is looking at things with a clean pair of eyes, and initiating good changes. I'm very excited about the future.

Cons

Corporate communication regarding changes and direction is kind of slow coming. Also, there are so many layers of management, it's hard to navigate sometimes.

Keep the changes exciting and fresh. Everyone working here has been craving changes and inspiration for a long time.

Promotions are racially biased

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Good place for a software engineer to jump-start career and get some experience

Cons

I come from India and I immediately figured I cant stay long because I would be stuck at the same spot. Performance reviews and promotions are racially biased. The software development group is not even the worst group. I have heard the consulting group is much worse. We were told to avoid them from the first week. Fortunately, as a software engineer, you don't have to interact with them.
    In general, Itron is poorly managed and nobody in management takes responsibility when things go wrong. This may or may not affect you depending on the circumstances.

I don't know why a software company should produce meters or have a consulting firm.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was a product manager.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Oakland, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very bright team, solid technology, really nice people.

Cons

I found the Oakland office to be very quiet and frankly kind of boring.

None.

This companies strengths are the people in the field

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Spokane, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Spokane, WA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time for more than a year

Pros

Outstanding products and service. The hands-on people are very good.

Cons

Management left a lot to be desrired

People skills are vital to someone in management

Racial bias... Poor management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Itron

Pros

None that I noticed when I worked there but now I know some connections that I made are quite useful.

Cons

The upper management in itron are all 60 y.o. male rednecks that promotes racial bias under cover. Some lower managers hire minorities (females, ethnic minorities, foreigners) not knowing the company's non-written policy and trouble starts there!
    A recent outcome is that itron already segregated 2 offices (Davis, CA and I think Berkeley, CA) by firing or forcing minorities to leave or work remotely.
    Overall, not a good place for females, minorities, foreigners, etc.

Advice to CEO: Segregation is not a solution to itrons problems.... Changing every single person in management is!

Chaotic lawless offices!

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Itron offers paycheck, healthcare, and benefits so it is better than being unemployed

Cons

Complete chaos! It feels like working in a western movie. Nobody follows the law in itron. If you talk about law, management laughs at you. Then in every meeting they wonder why the company is not performing well.

US has law so Itron should follow the law.

Incompetent Management

Current Employee - Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Design Engineer

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a paycheck. Do yourself a huge favor and keep looking.

Cons

Incompetent management, poor planning, zero training, unsafe (electrically) environment, dwindling benefits.

Hard work gets no reward and maybe gets you fired by a manager who is worried you'll replace him. The way to get along is politics. Kiss up to your manager and do no more work than he tells you to. Don't take any initiative. Take plenty of time to shoot the breeze with everyone in the building.

Do a total housecleaning of all management. If necessary, get contractors to accomplish this.

Tattooed on my arm "READ ONLINE REVIEWS" after working for Itron!

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Nothing more than a paycheck and if you are interested you can teach yourself in the time you have there. If you are junior you will work more than 50 hours and will learn a lot.

Cons

I literally tattooed on my arm "READ ONLINE REVIEWS" because I would have never joined Itron if I had read their glassdoor reviews.

90% of seniors are hired as government lobbyist and you will not learn anything from them. With so many "lobbyists", there is usually lack of work and Itron pushes government to create more work out of already won projects instead of trying to win more. You will be blamed for not working and lobbyists are promoted after the make up 100 lies!!

Itron suffers from terrible management. Managers keep making false promises that management is turning around and new work is coming when everybody knows they are not telling the truth.

Management and other employees frequently talk behind your back and take any opportunity to make you look bad. They tell you one thing and report another. You cant do anything to stop them so your only option is to leave.

Government does not offer itron any more projects because of bad previous experience. You cant do much when you have 2 months to get a task done and your manager tells you about it 1 week before the deadline!! Then he lies to you that it was assigned last week (when you are sure it was not) and lies to upper management that this guy missed the deadline because of his poor performance.

Dont make false promises of management turning around. In the past few years, everything in Itron turned around except management!

Unprofessional and hostile environment!

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Not much, only a paycheck! Good if you cant find any other job.
    As far as I know, most senior employees work at Itron because they cant find any other job.

Cons

1. Terribly managed company. Nobody knows who is who, not even the upper management.
    2. Anybody can insult you at Itron and get away with it. If you report to HR, they will only help retaliate against you! It is a mess.
    3. Only junior employees work, so if you are a junior, you have to work double time to make up for seniors not working.
    4. Work is boring and monotonous.
    5. If you end up in a bad Itron office you will hear slurs every day! Depends on your luck but you can do your research ahead of time.
    6. Unprofessional environment. You get the feeling you have gone back to grade school.

1. Management needs to be turned around. Hire some successful outsider managers to help improve the company.
    2. Spend at least 1% of your time to care about employees not the stock-market!

Worked for Itron? Contribute to the Community!