Itron

Updated 21 November 2014
Updated 21 November 2014
2.4

Philip Mezey

Pros
  • Good work / life balance and the ability to work in different fields (in 7 reviews)

• The people are friendly and excellent at their jobs (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Struggling to move away from legacy products; hard to break into the upper management circle (in 7 reviews)

• In my opinion, the only successful department is software development, IT, and cyber security (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

hell on earth

Former Employee - They Couldnot Make Up Their Minds in Felixstowe, England
    Former Employee - They Couldnot Make Up Their Minds in Felixstowe, England

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

they now are giving their employees free coffee, laugh

Cons

Company values = 0, this company is out for profit only they are not interested in their staff.
    They cant even design working meters.
    most of the management are walking moronic idiots

you are the most unethical company in the entire world, I feel ashamed I worked for you.

Machine Operator/Production Assembler Itron Inc. Waseca Minnesota 1998-2006

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Waseca, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Waseca, MN (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Awesome team environment. Benefits were pretty standard for the area! Would have never left knowing what I do now. I began working at Itron through a temp agency. About a week into the job a man came by our test towers and seen that we were short handed. He introduced himself as Bob ask why we only had 2 people doing the job of 3-4 and I explained that we had 2 call in sick and were waiting for help from other lines to arrive. He took over testing so I could pack and knew the little tricks to help get accurate testing completed. about a month later we had a quarterly meeting were ALL employee's gathered in the break/lunchroom and discussed how the company was performing and such. Bob the gentleman that had helped us for about 15mins. until our promised help arrived was running the meeting and introduced himself as the VP of manufacturing and about 3 other titles at the time. After each segment of his presentation he asked for questions and I raised my hand and with out thinking about it he called on me by name. I didn't have a name badge at the time. After 15mins of working with me(a temp employee) he remembered me by name a month later! He knew not only what every position on the production floor was, but he could train a new employee on it, and after he shakes your hand he remembers who you are. through the 8+ years working at Itron Bob would walk the production floor not as an axe man looking for the bad workers but as a co-worker giving advise on how to deal with interpersonal issues or how to hold your tweezers to make hand placing parts easier on your wrist. Bob Whitney was the best Senior staff I have ever worked under.

Cons

Had some growing pains back then, but speaking to friends that are still employee's the great culture has returned!

Keep making sure your employees from the bottom to the top know they are what makes your company great! And keep living up to the nobody is just a number culture!

Good Company

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Liberty Lake, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Liberty Lake, WA (US)

I worked at Itron as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Company has good integrity
    Was paid well. $20/hr as an intern
    Learned a lot. People around me were very willing to help
    Got to do several presentations
    Access to Toastmasters

Cons

Cubicle setting
    Large company

I'd prefer to work somewhere more intimate, but that's just me.

In an interesting industry, Itron was a good company to work for.

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The managers were receptive to feedback. Everyone's perspective was taken into account, if you make your perspective known. The position I held involved a lot of travel, and their travel policies were very accommodating as far as large field/consulting companies go.

Cons

I left when it looked like the federal government stimulus well was running dry. I can only make assumptions from that point on, but it looked like the impending belt-tightening was about to change the work culture a lot.

Great Company

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been there for more than 5 years. The people there are great to work with and very helpful. I've enjoyed pay increases and bonuses on an annual basis. The benefits are excellent. I love to travel and my job allows that 40-45 weeks a year.

Cons

Technology is cutting edge and you have to be a self-motivator to keep up. Opportunities are available, but you have to apply for them. Work pace can be brutal at times.

Don't get stuck in the rut, consider other ways of doing things.

Great Changes Already

Current Employee - Manager in Waseca, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Waseca, MN (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been part of Itron for numerous years, and there were some years in there where things were a little sketchy. I can see that sr management has seen those issues and has chosen to address them head on with multiple management changes for the better. There is already new programs and processes that are better designed for employee training and engagement. I've also read other reviews here regarding prejudices and slurs regarding other races and minorities. My role touches many business segments across multiple geographies and I can say with 100% certainty that I have never encountered any of what the few disgruntled employees have stated. I have no idea where that is coming from, but is completely false, and if it is true, those employees should have talked to their local HR rep who would nip it in the bud.

Cons

I do believe there needs to be better communication of company direction in the future, but that has already improved as well.

please share what the future looks like and help us to be positive and spread the positivism throughout the company. The future looks so bright!

At least the consulting firm is racially biased and poor performing

I have been working at Itron

Pros

In current US tech industry, a racially biased company like itron is destined to fail

Cons

I dont think the upper management is promoting racial bias like other reviews suggested but they are well aware of it. However, they prefer to keep their eyes closed. The bad reputation has spread through industry causing itron to take major hits from previous employees who have taken governmental positions now.

Keep your eyes closed until company goes broke.

Some Issues, Overall Good Place To Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

In the Raleigh office, it feels like most employees are concerned about their fellow workers and want to do things that help each other as well as the company be successful. Recently, I have seen an increase in employee group engagement between different departments in things like wellness/fitness activities, internal collaboration, and local civic engagement opportunities. Work hours for most departments are flexible and most managers in the company seem to be OK with flexible scheduling and allowing employees time to take care of personal issues. Most employees are focused on doing the best work they can within the constraints placed upon them by management. Benefits are reasonable. Work-life balance is usually good but sometimes other offices in the company are not respectful of time across different time zones when scheduling meetings and expecting work after normal hours. Overall, there is more good stuff going on than there is bad stuff. I don't think Itron is the best employer in town, but they are far from the worst.

Cons

On the technical side, the deadlines for product development and code release often seem arbitrary. They are driven by company executive mgmt and local office senior management with not enough regard for quality. This has bitten the company in the past and lessons have not been learned by all involved. I'll add that this is getting better in some cases, but there is still work to be done in others. Access to external training opportunities which would bolster career progression are limited. Customer contracts are often enacted based on vague and poorly worded goals only to later result in Itron being forced to agree to unreasonable customer demands or face 'penalties' during product deployments.

I seem to work for the only Itron office in the US that is not set up well for health and fitness in that there are no shower facilities available. That's a small gripe, but an important one in these days of employer focus on wellness. Benefits costs continue to rise yearly at a rate that has the employee share going up much faster than the increase in company share. Stock incentives have basically disappeared for all but a very select few employees.

Morale is not as good as it could be lately due to the overall condition of the industry. Coming off the highs of the govt stimulus spending a few years ago, the pace of sales seems slow today, but that is probably no different than any other company doing the same type of systems work as Itron. I see other reviewers commenting about racial slurs and other negative issues, but I have not experienced that type of thing in Raleigh. Maybe it's just a west coast problem.

I believe that management wants to do the right thing at Itron but it feels like decisions are made based on unrealistic market and customer pressures instead of consideration of reality. I hope to see a return to the quality-first focus that has been present in prior years. Recent changes in vacation policy were bad. I don't really care that Itron is now 'on par with other similar company policies' regarding vacation. I want to work for a company that strives to EXCEED the policies of other similar companies!

Tough to get things done

Former Employee - Software Systems Engineer in Jackson, MS (US)
    Former Employee - Software Systems Engineer in Jackson, MS (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

small setting, friendly people. flexible hours

Cons

hard to change the culture

think outside the box

Provincial company that grew fast and cannot handle itself!

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Depending on your position and how active you are, you will get involved in a lot of projects and can learn a lot. As poorly as it is managed, sometimes good results come out of it too.

Cons

Itron suffers from unorganized management. Managers at Itron are not concerned with doing things right and usually pick the easiest way to do things setting a terrible model for other employees in the office and ruining employee morale. If the manager doesn't care why should I? To make matters worse, half of the employees are managers of their own. You cant ask another employee to help you with a project. They will get pissed and trouble starts there!
    Don't be surprised if your colleague who works 10 hours a week and is friends with the manager shows up with 55h/week average hourly work at the end of the year! Don't even bother to report it because as provincial as Itron is, friendship is stronger than work ethics and you will get into trouble.
    I see that other reviews have complained about slurs. I haven't heard them and I am not a minority but I am not surprised. I have seen a lot of tension and hate comments when a minority employee gets promoted. In my opinion, it is their own fault. I don't see why a minority or foreigner should join Itron when there are many other diverse companies in the US.
    Itron doesn't care about employees AT ALL. Everybody is complaining about the workplace and company only changes its CFO. That's a great sign that nobody cares, so be quiet or leave!

Monitor managers very closely. They are not following the protocols. Nobody doesn't report in fear of retaliation.