Itron Reviews

Updated 12 April 2015
107 reviews filtered by

Going down hill, and fast.

Current Employee - Engineer in Liberty Lake, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Liberty Lake, WA (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The fellow people that I get to work with. Relaxed environment, depending on manager, i.e. ability to work from home.

Cons

Pay is way below industry standard. No training. Advancement is difficult. Environment and morale slipping daily. Employees not valued. Little organization and planning in project that it's become a bit of a mess. CEO makes 90 times the average employee and HR still cannot get to a point where they pay people at an industry standard. When layoffs do occur, talented individuals are laid off while many incompetent employees remain. Almost seems that one needs to screw up in order to be promoted. There are constant re-organization efforts and many employees shift around from manager to manager.

Advice to Management

Need some serious overhaul of management, and communication needs much improvement. There are too many bottle necks which result in 10% of the people working 60+ hours a week while others wait for that work to be done. Resources need to be better understood and utilized.

2. Great job out of college

Former Employee - Design Engineer in West Union, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in West Union, SC (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people, great environment, and a lot of learning on the job. I probably doubled my abilities as a c# developer every year.

Cons

At times the work could seem meaningless. Sometimes it seemed as though the existence of my job was so that utility companies could over charge for electricity.

Advice to Management

Establish pride and excitement of the product your selling. If you're marketing group says "it's green and helps the environment," maybe give everyone coffee cups with the company name and have a recycling bin available. Lastly, give honest feedback and more opportunities. Don't wait until the end of the year evaluations to say "you met expectations."

3. Not bad at all

Current Contractor - Quality Assurance in Akron, OH (US)
    Current Contractor - Quality Assurance in Akron, OH (US)

I have been working at Itron as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, good people and good networking.

Cons

In my position I travel a decent amount and it takes me away from my family.

Industry Leader

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The industry is exciting to be part of.

Cons

Employees not appreciated by management..

6. Exciting company with a lot of opportunity

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Itron is an exciting company to be a part of. The utility industry is changing and evolving with more advanced technologies, which makes the work we do more interesting and exciting. There are many opportunities for growth within the company and the corporate culture is generally very positive. I like coming to work each day.

Cons

The company has struggled a bit in the past couple of years, which has led to some reorganization. However, the company outlook is very positive.

Company is out of track and does not respect people

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Spokane, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Spokane, WA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Its leadership history and past acquisitions
    Global presence and
    Vision of the future

Cons

Lack of leadership
    Lack of strategy
    Wrong tactics
    Does not respect employees
    Pretend to be fair and correct
    Solve cultural conflicts - Europe x USA

Advice to Management

Review your strategy and change 1st tier executives

8. Good solid employer, but increasingly under cost-cutting pressure

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Liberty Lake, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Liberty Lake, WA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Global footprint makes for interesting atmosphere, international operational management, strong investment in R&D, bigger locations like HQ have plenty of employee activities

Cons

commoditizing of certain products leads to pressure on margins, restructuring plans 2 years in row, with office and factory closings, older sites have heavy past (Schlumberger days)

Company Culture is changing and no longer values the employees

Current Employee - Software Development in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance in most departments depending upon your manager
    There is free coffee and tea (if that is what you like)
    They provide 401K matching and benefits
    You get a paycheck and some industry experience
    The organization is well known
    The organization encourages community involvement
    Some of the people are nice to work with and very intelligent

Cons

Working a lot of long hours for extended periods of time has become the norm and not the exception
    There is no additional training provide for career improvement or advancement
    There is no leadership training
    Employees are not valued - especially if you are a foreigner or minority
    There is high turn over in the Raleigh office and executive management was very frank and told people to leave if they are not happy and offshoring will continue
    No career advancement
    No training provided for career advancement and you may not get adequate training or resources to do your job

Advice to Management

Leadership skills should be improved
    Just because a person is technically inclined and good at their job, does not mean they are good managers

High Turnover and Low Morale at the Raleigh, NC Office

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Industry leader in metering products
    Large company benefits package with good insurance and vacation policies.

Cons

Unrealistic control of day to day operations from Oconee, SC offices. Engineers working remotely with no guidance.
    Layoffs and terminations without cause.

Advice to Management

Either invest in the Raleigh NC organization and make it self-sufficient with self-determination and authority, or close it.

11. Machine Operator/Production Assembler Itron Inc. Waseca Minnesota 1998-2006

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Waseca, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Waseca, MN (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Awesome team environment. Benefits were pretty standard for the area! Would have never left knowing what I do now. I began working at Itron through a temp agency. About a week into the job a man came by our test towers and seen that we were short handed. He introduced himself as Bob ask why we only had 2 people doing the job of 3-4 and I explained that we had 2 call in sick and were waiting for help from other lines to arrive. He took over testing so I could pack and knew the little tricks to help get accurate testing completed. about a month later we had a quarterly meeting were ALL employee's gathered in the break/lunchroom and discussed how the company was performing and such. Bob the gentleman that had helped us for about 15mins. until our promised help arrived was running the meeting and introduced himself as the VP of manufacturing and about 3 other titles at the time. After each segment of his presentation he asked for questions and I raised my hand and with out thinking about it he called on me by name. I didn't have a name badge at the time. After 15mins of working with me(a temp employee) he remembered me by name a month later! He knew not only what every position on the production floor was, but he could train a new employee on it, and after he shakes your hand he remembers who you are. through the 8+ years working at Itron Bob would walk the production floor not as an axe man looking for the bad workers but as a co-worker giving advise on how to deal with interpersonal issues or how to hold your tweezers to make hand placing parts easier on your wrist. Bob Whitney was the best Senior staff I have ever worked under.

Cons

Had some growing pains back then, but speaking to friends that are still employee's the great culture has returned!

Advice to Management

Keep making sure your employees from the bottom to the top know they are what makes your company great! And keep living up to the nobody is just a number culture!