Ixia Reviews

151 reviews filtered by
3.3
Ixia CEO & President Bethany Mayer
Bethany Mayer

Pros
  • Chance to grow, lots of opportunities to learn about cutting edge technologies related to networking (in 6 reviews)

• Great talent and cut edge technology (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Problem with work life balance and salary compare to that is low (in 19 reviews)

• Long Hours, took a long time to get more staff in to ease the workload (in 7 reviews)

1. 8 years at Ixia, 3 years Snr Support Engineer, 5 years Snr Systems Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Maidenhead, England
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Maidenhead, England

I worked at Ixia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great products, never boring, as I was in a Technical role it was very interesting. over a majority of my time the mangement were great, products are fantastic and have alot of technical depth to learn. Good frequent trips to the US, but this was when the company was smaller, not sure how many trips there would be now for the UK based employees.

Cons

Long Hours, took a long time to get more staff in to ease the workload. work life balance is a challenge to get right, working remote has become easier of the last 2 years I was in the Job.

Advice to Management

Look after your employees, take on more staff to help the overworked remaining Engineers.

Worst company I have EVER worked for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlow, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlow, England

I have been working at Ixia

Pros

Pension is good.
    Pay can be good if you negotiate well in the beginning but don't expect pay rises

Cons

Bullying, dishonest management always looking to screw the employee. only route to progression is through brown nosing and stabbing colleagues in the back. Very long hours for no reward. Unachievable targets set to reduce commission payouts. Did I mention the Bullying
    If you manage to negotiate a good wage when you get the job that will be held against you, don't expect pay rises and you will always feel like you living with the sword of Damocles over your head.
    Management by fear approach by the VP of Sales, supported by the senior US management as well as the UK Sales manager. Managers aren't managers they are yes men, thugs and henchmen for the VP of Sales. A Truly Toxic and Hostile environment to work in.

Advice to Management

Value you your people they will work better for you if you respect them and stop the bulling. Your staff is demoralized, demotivated and desperate. Ixia's core values should apply to the Senior management MORE than to the employees, lead by example, be fair and decent.
    A fish rots from the head

3. In transition

I worked at Ixia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Industry leader with a bright future

Cons

Company needs to mature processes and stabilize

5. Things are looking up

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Ixia

Pros

With new CEO, things are appearing to be moving in the right direction. Not much culture, but that provides a good work-life balance. Office is mostly lax and exec are easy to talk to.

Cons

Had a rough past couple of years so a lot of good people left, doesn't appear that those people are being replaced.

Advice to Management

Keep salaries competitive to keep the best people around. Things are going pretty well, let's keep moving in this direction.

6. The latest network technologies will come to you but dont expect a fair and just meritocracy.

Current Employee - Developer in Calcutta (India)
    Current Employee - Developer in Calcutta (India)

I have been working at Ixia full-time

Pros

Ability to work on the latest network and app technologies of the internet.
    Good freedom of how to work ... Can start late if you have some chores to finish.
    If tough problems interest you ..you will surely get a few.
    Ownership of work ..
    Casual atmosphere at work
    .. With peers and managers.
    Good pay w.r.t Kolkata but that alone.

Cons

Dont expect bonuses .... Getting lesser every year.
    Very clear downward difference from Bangalore salaries... Comparing with peers in similar companies in Bangalore can sometimes cause heartburn.Need to accept that and get on with it.
    Too much of emphasis on big bang demoes . tools . cool sounding names and next gen architectures not of much use to Ixia making money ... But much of that is quite interesting as well.
    Not much appreciation of deep technical stuff ... Need to create your own world of zen to not worry about it.
    Fair amount of sometimes very stupid Indian politics but can be safely ignored.

Advice to Management

Not much to say ... Maybe spare some thought to the customer , the tiny nitty gritties and sometimes very complex ones . That detail got us to where we are but now with the 20000 feet view I think Ixia is forgetting how it reached till here. There is more to it than branding and big talk. Maybe a little more time and space for the deep technical stuff /staff instead of the glitzy screensavers.

7. Good technical people, but horrible management

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bucharest (Romania)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bucharest (Romania)

I have been working at Ixia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The new CEO seems to know what she's doing and has the proper experience, previously working at HP.

Company has a good reputation in the market (market leader), and a decent customer base.

People are generally friendly. If you're an outgoing person, you will make a lot of friends here.

Salary is slightly above the market in RO. Auxiliary benefits are rather mediocre.

There are some really gifted technical people here in RO office, from which you can learn a lot.

Opportunities for growth in the first 1-2 years. You will get your hands on some cutting edge tools / equipment that may be hard to find in other environments.

It's generally considered as a good place to start your working career in RO. Having Ixia on your resume still carries some weight here.

Cons

The company is striving to recover from a serious downfall, which translates into a dishonest CEO resigning, and multiple people losing their jobs due to the greed and lack of long term vision of the management.

Company culture is severely lackluster. Nobody actually believes in the preached values, and this is coming from the top level. I don't think that if you randomly pick ten people they will name correctly at least three core values.

Due to the way that we traditionally know how to do our business, the company is Product Management driven, rather than Developer driven. If you are a developer and have good ideas, there is a good chance that you will be completely ignored. This leads to the "Yes-Man" syndrome, as it can often be observed in Ixia.

Archaically internal processes, that probably made sense back then when this company was a start-up, but don't make any sense right now.

You will likely stagnate after 1-2 years, stuck in tedious bug fixing, or generally repetitive tasks. There is little, to no innovation in the company, which generally translates to acquiring smaller companies, and integrating their products into our portfolio.

Work life balance is inclined towards work. Management will set unrealistic goals, without any vision of planning, and people will be expected to work out of their minds to meet the targets. Rewards are rarely of the same amount as the work done, and of course it's your fault if you don't meet the targets.

Some managers are the worst kind of people you will ever meet. They will verbally humiliate you, and make you feel unimportant, as take joy from it. They will even go far as to make you lie to other people in technical matters, so that you can shift the blame from them to other teams.

Advice to Management

Purge the arrogant and manipulative managers before it's too late. They are ripping apart your company culture and make Ixia a bad workplace. Replace them with good leaders that have a positive attitude, and know how to rally a team around them and grow it.

8. SSE1

Current Employee - SSE1 in Calcutta (India)
    Current Employee - SSE1 in Calcutta (India)

I have been working at Ixia

Pros

Freedom, Learning, Time off policies

Cons

Work Pressure takes a toll on everything

Advice to Management

Keep it simple

9. Good company to work for overall, but I would not move here to work for Ixia

I have been working at Ixia

Pros

Competitive salary for the area. Good culture of people.

Cons

Slow grow. Career growth is slow

Advice to Management

Kick dead wood higher ups out.

10. Overall good culture for Engineers

I worked at Ixia

Pros

Engineer Friendly - Challenging Projects
    Leading Edge Technology Including: Security Virtualization, NFV and SDN
    Reasonable Lab Environment
    Good Over Benefits
    International Organization
    Strong Product Management Organization

Cons

Multiple locations can make it difficult to connect with other Engineers
    Sr. Management seems to be over zealous regrading corporate objects

Advice to Management

Realistic goal setting

11. A real technology company

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Ixia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very focused on new technologies, diverse product portfolio, friendly and professional colleagues. With the new CEO, company will hopefully have a better product/market strategy. Core business testing. One of the 2 well known manufacturers in the market.

Cons

In the recent years company focused on a vague market with network visibility products, unclear market/technology conditions which might impact the company drastically.

Advice to Management

none