J.B. Hunt
www.jbhunt.com Lowell, AR 5000+ Employees

J.B. Hunt Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014
J.B. Hunt – US – “Corporate Office”

J.B. Hunt President, CEO, and Director John N. Roberts III

John N. Roberts III

Pros:
  • "Great Management Experience, Pay is Decent, Good Benefits"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Improvement in work life balance and work flow"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Needs to seriously consider the employees' work/life balance"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Work long hours, Lots of Responsibility with little to no authority to control your operational area"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Home Depot account-Great place to work compared to other nearby companies.

Truck Driver (Current Employee)
Van Buren, OH (US)

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHome every weekend and newer equipment. Dispatch tries to work with you when getting home and emergencies!

ConsTo many safety (Bendix, Braking to hard, Log reporting, Following Distance, Observations, Going into turns, Acceleration monitoring, etc....) monitoring advances that hinders judgement more than complementing it.

Your personal experience will EXTREMELY depend on the department you get into

Accounts Payable Office Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than a year

ProsIn general the benefits aren't too bad.
If you're in the right area it is really easy to advance/move positions.
Some of the people are really amazing to work with.

ConsMy department was awful. Seriously, other departments called us "The Morgue". Yeah. Team work was not at all encouraged, no talking to your coworkers, and if you tried to get to know people you would be taken into an office and "officially reprimanded" for wasting time. My coworkers (every single one of them) were just as miserable as I was and we all would describe our work as "The place dreams went to die." On the other side of that spectrum, I have friends that are still with the company that have enjoyed their entire experience. Your own experience will vary greatly depending on who you work for. Some of the managers there really will work their own butts off to advance your career. I would definitely recommend to not even consider it unless you're moving into a salaried position of some sort. Hourly rules are if you are 1 minute late, 4 times within a 6 week rolling period, you will actually acquire attendance points. Literally, 1 minute late. Being on time really wasn't an issue, but just knowing that you have ZERO flexibility? It was depressing just thinking about it. My manager actually told me once that because she was salary it didn't matter if she was 15 minutes late, or took a long lunch. No one tracked her time. It's definitely corporate, and I can't describe how many people I knew there that were in relationships with coworkers, and cheating on them with other coworkers. It's like a soap opera. And Friday jeans days are paid, every week. Rarely do you get a free jeans day, HOWEVER, the money does supposedly go to charity.

Advice to Senior ManagementI could go on forever. Really beef up your HR department and give them the power to make change within the company. When I tried discussing the issues we all had I was just told there wasn't anything they could do about it. Having your HR group really be proactive within the company could change a lot of dynamic.

Great place to advance in the transportation industry

CDP Investigator (Former Employee)

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than a year

ProsHigh starting pay even as entry-level. Raises as you progress. Always opportunities to advance within the company. Helping drivers in need.

ConsStressful job requirements. Expected to hit goals that are a lot of time of your control. Having to deal with disgruntled drivers and companies.

Special Projects Manager

Special Projects Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLarge company with great bonuses, some friendly people, a very country boy mentality. Extremely demanding, and you must work hard to be able to move anywhere. Traveled a lot.

ConsOver work you, not a very good training program, not many opportunities to move up. Traveled but at the same time worked at least 12hr days with not a single day off.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo better job training managers, I literally had to work 7 days a week to be able to handle the work load, extremely underpaid.

The first few months were terrible. I had a boss that was awful, and it seemed like nobody was able to help.

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)
Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time for less than a year

ProsGood benefits, fair pay, and stable company

ConsNeeds to seriously consider the employees' work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on initial training to avoid back-end disorganization

Account Manager

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at J.B. Hunt for more than 3 years

ProsGood learning experience straight out of school. Basically run your own book of business .

ConsLong hours. Weekend work on call 24/7, work holidays

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't put senior management in charge who have never actually done any account management positions.

stressful.

I-5 Driver (Former Employee)
South Gate, CA (US)

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time for less than a year

Prosexcellent equipment. maintenance of trucks excellent

Consno home time. hours away from home needs to be cut down.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore consideration for employees health. Hear what employees in the field are telling you about the conditions of customers and timely manners.

Fantastic

Local Truck Driver (Former Employee)
Elizabeth, NJ (US)

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI liked the fact that they were serious about safety !

ConsI can't think of any, they are a great company, I enjoyed working there !

Advice to Senior Managementthere are none , are a great company

Busy

I have been working at J.B. Hunt

ProsSolid group of people to work with

ConsCan get caught up with work

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage more social events to break the monotony of the work day

Good, depending on your department and region.(FMS only worth it depending on your account)

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Chantilly, VA (US)

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood opportunity to advance (depending on which region you are in). Decent pay. Good bonus plan (if you bonus). Good management in NE region FMS, makes you feel like a part of a team. Professionalism is typical for trucking.

ConsNo manager bench, a lot of GOOD managers left and are replaced with incompetence. Lots of hours. Expect to work at least 12-14 hours per day. Constant criticism from upper management who has little to no operational experience.Training is non-existent. All upper management knows this, but never the less forces you to do tasks that you were never properly trained to do. Good Old Boy mentality. Upper management expects you to run an account and takes credit for the good but places all the blame on your shoulders if its bad. Also, little to no support if you stand up to a customer because the customer is trying to take advantage of you. SE region FMS does not make you feel like a part of a team. Ridiculous amounts of micro-management.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the promises you make, that is the only way your employees will trust you...
Also, do better to promote good behavior and address poor performance instead of removing responsibility from poor employees and giving it to the good performers. It will burn out your top performers!!!

Worked for J.B. Hunt? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J.B. Hunt reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for J.B. Hunt CEO John N. Roberts III. All 183 reviews are posted anonymously by J.B. Hunt employees.