J.B. Hunt

www.jbhunt.com

J.B. Hunt Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
J.B. Hunt – US – “Corporate Office”

J.B. Hunt – US – “Corporate Office”

J.B. Hunt President, CEO, and Director John N. Roberts III

John N. Roberts III

Pros
  • Great Management Experience, Pay is Decent, Good Benefits (in 8 reviews)

• Learning experience and good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Needs to seriously consider the employees' work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Expected to Work Long hours and always on call (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Local Truck Driver

Local Truck Driver (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsPay is alright and it's easy to take time off if you need to. Mostly everyone that I work with is nice and helpful.

ConsWork hours are really long, usually 12 to 14 hours per day. Paid by mile and stop not by the hour.

Advice to Senior ManagementA good hourly pay rate would be nice.

Gained Valuable Experience

ProsThe ability to work close with your drivers and customer. You are basically given a franchise JB Hunt branch when you become and account manager

ConsYou are expected to work in excess of 60 hours per week as an account manager, especially one that you are at on your own. If a driver happens to get into an accident you could end up with a 15+ hour day. You are also on call as soon as your drivers get to their trucks, that could be 24 hours a day or 3 am, and if something goes wrong your phone will ring and you have to deal with the issue then, and sometimes go into the office.

It's a great place to work with a good shop environment,and good relationships between the techs.

Diesel Mechanic Journeyman (Current Employee) San Bernardino, CA (US)

ProsJb hunt is a Very reliable company to work for,safety matters in the shop,they pay well,the shop is clean,there's always training on the newest trucking equipment that jb hunt runs,and jb hunt is a leading trucking company in north America that's always growing.

ConsHeath care is a bit on the high side.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsYou get a lot of responsibility and learn how to manage a business and people.

ConsLong hours
    On call nights and weekend
    Benefits could be better
    Very little vacation

Advice to Senior ManagementWork life balance.

Great place to learn and grow

Regional Logistics Manager (Current Employee)

ProsTeamwork, dynamic work environment, given responsibility quickly, great exposure to a large business and ability to quickly become ingrained and attuned to large companies supply chain needs and transportation.
    Constantly challenged to grow as an individual and team.

ConsWork-life balance can be a challenge - its a personal problem for me that I tend to have a hard time switching off. Easy to let work become your life as a result.
    On that same vein, time off could be encouraged and given more time sooner.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure you avoid being penny wise and dollar foolish by allowing good people to leave because they feel their prospects are limited or that they can earn more elsewhere and work less hours. Encourage individual growth and mentoring from upper management.
    Continue to emphasize to all business units how vital all the other business units are. Currently attitudes of more established units tend to be that they are more important or necessary than newer units. Great exposure and/or cross training should help limit this.

Very Rewarding Job

Fleet Manager (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX (US)

ProsThe pay is decent and good benefits.

ConsBetter communication within management would be great.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication is always a plus.

Fantastic

ProsHuge potential for growth and advancement

ConsHard work and demanding industry

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing!

I was totally overwhelmed by all it takes to do simple tasks

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPlenty of work most of time.

ConsExtremely over structured. You have to account for every minute. You have to take pictures before you touch anything. You spend more time on computer than actually doing the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at what you expect from your employees. Too much!

Industry leader? In what respect exactly?

Regional Inter-modal (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsI can't say that there were any to speak of that I could see. Oh, they have a terminal in Chicago which is my hometown.

ConsDispatcher expect to run you up to your last minute of drive time. After completing orientation took 5 weeks to get me into a truck that was not set up for me to use my CPAP machine. Too much time wasted looking for empty trailers. Sub-standard equipment. Maintenance shop that is constantly behind on workload, lack of attention to detail. Cannot provide drivers who do not smoke with a smoke free work environment. Witnessed a maintenance employee smoking on the clock while performing repairs in the cab of a drivers truck. Staff assigned to clean and detail trucks are ineffective at best, not held accountable for lack of work standards. If truck requires service while in Chicago, plan to be there atleast 4-5 days before repairs are complete. They will keep you waiting!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with people before they come to orientation so they won't have to waste their time or miss out on other opportunities. I turned down other companies with better offers and better equipment only to be misled by this company.

Carrier Sales Coordinator

Carrier Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) Lowell, AR (US)

ProsFast paced. Growing company. Good values.

ConsLong hours. Low salaries. Not personable.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more specific with your employees on all their job duties and responsibilities.

Worked for J.B. Hunt? Contribute to the Community!