J. Crew Reviews

Updated 28 September 2014
3.7

J. Crew Chairman and CEO Mickey Drexler
Mickey Drexler

Pros
  • There was also a great discount for employees that was great during the holidays (in 92 reviews)

• Flexible Hours, Great Employee Discount, Great brand image cultivated by Mickey Drexler (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • On Call shifts, management that doesn't know how to properly schedule employees (in 38 reviews)

• You get No Benifits they keep all employees at part time (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Disgusting working atmosphere

Former Employee - Security Officer  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Security Officer in London, England

I worked at J. Crew part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nothing good to say about working here

Cons

Management treat you like dirt, they dont even care about you, all they want is their money. No benefits at all since ive worked there, most stuff are also stuck up and dont want to even talk to you unless your a customer. Didnt enjoy it at all.

Care for you workers as well as management team, they are just as important to the business

Overall a great part time job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Aurora, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Aurora, IL (US)

I worked at J. Crew part-time for more than a year

Pros

I really love their clothes, so it was fun to interact with customers and help put together outfits. I got to be myself. The managers were very flexible and definitely cared about the employees.

Cons

Sometimes hours were scarce. The job could be overwhelming on busy days or holidays.

Great company, great benefits

Current Employee - Finance  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Finance in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at J. Crew full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Regarding working at the corporate headquarters: very generous vacation time, nice company 401K match, summer Fridays, creative and talented people, industry -leader CEO

Cons

Retail sector is up and down so at times can be stressful if sales are not great. It can be hard to move up, or to move to another department.

Don't overlook promoting from within over going to the outside.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great

I have been working at J. Crew

Pros

Flexible schedule, customer service experience

Cons

Low pay, hard to move up

Retail Sales Support Review

Former Employee - Sales Support
    Former Employee - Sales Support

I worked at J. Crew part-time for more than a year

Pros

I can only speak to my store/ district: good leadership, good wages for part time, upbeat, responsible co workers and managers, and not difficult work.

Cons

Not much room for growth unless you're willing to put in crazy hours, a little boring, horrible rude customers.

Promos for employees were the only things that made me have any desire to work harder.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Burlington, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Burlington, MA (US)

I worked at J. Crew part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic group of people to work with in a creative environment. Great discounts on the clothes and great work ethic.

Cons

No full time positions were available at the time.

The kind of job where going to work makes your day better, not worse.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Camarillo, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Camarillo, CA (US)

I worked at J. Crew part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

30% employee discount, including gift cards and 50% off clearance. I had to leave a few times for Army National Guard service, and each time I came back they were excited to bring me back on as soon as I wanted to come back to work. This is the kind of place where if I was having a bad day and thought about calling in sick, I always made myself go to work, not because I was afraid of getting in trouble for not coming in, but because I knew that going in to work would make me feel better. The store management actually cared about us, whenever I was having an off day I could always talk to my management about it and they would be there to listen and to offer advice, whether it had to do with work or personal life.

Cons

The Store Director left for another company, and her replacement (brought in from another company) was AWFUL. There were several people in assistant management positions within the company that wanted the position and would have been great at it, but they were passed up.

Look for current employees to promote first rather than bringing in outsiders. J.Crew has so many amazing people already employed within the company that are more than willing and able to rise to the challenge.

Truly a great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Support Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Support Associate

I have been working at J. Crew part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management is great and very approachable. They really work to build a team that cares about J.Crew as a brand and represents the company well. Everyone gets along for the most part and it's actually enjoyable to go to work. They're also really flexible about working around scheduling issues. I was able to change my schedule every semester while a full-time college student and they didn't get upset about it, they actually were super supportive. They provide training throughout the year and are good about keeping employees in the know about corporate changes. Also, the discount is a huge benefit and they offer a number of other benefits even to part-time employees. Overall, J.crew a really great company to work for!

Cons

On call shifts can be frustrating. Also, a shortage of hours during the spring and summer.

Great Company

I worked at J. Crew

Pros

Management will always work with your schedule.

Cons

Sometimes had to work well after close.

Nice

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at J. Crew part-time for more than a year

Pros

Discount, coworkers...unlike other tetail places, store runs smoothly and you get your schedule on app.

Cons

New management has made it tedious

Worked for J. Crew? Contribute to the Community!