J Sainsbury

Updated 28 September 2014
Updated 28 September 2014
3.2

Mike Coupe

Pros
  • Staff discount of 10% and on occasion it goes up to a max of 20% for couple days (in 13 reviews)

• paid holiday even on part time contracts no matter how long you have been there (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The team leaders and managers skulk round the isles and watch every move you make (in 12 reviews)

• Long hours labour is at a minimum (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Friendly people, flexible hours, understanding management.

Current Employee - Baker  in  Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Baker in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time for more than a year

Pros

All the staff are friendly and easy to talk to. Opportunities to progress.

Cons

Can sometimes find it difficult to book holidays.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant  in  Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Leeds, England

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

this was a part time job while at college and university, they were very flexible when i went to university. I was originally at the leeds store in moortown but then went to university in manchester. they put me as a dual store colleague meaning i would work in leeds in holidays and work in the manchester store in term time. the pay was good

Cons

the bonus wasn't great if you compare to other stores, I am only comparing as my sister worked for Waitrose and her bonus was nothing on mine, we sometimes didn't get a bonus. Working overtime you dont get an enhanced pay rate it is standard hours.

working in a large store it is harder to get time off but i guess that is everywhere.

Custemer service assistant - as expected

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time for less than a year

Pros

friendly colleagues, get into a rhythm and it can be ok. Good opportunities for advancement if you commit and come across well.

Cons

poor managers but this will depend on the store, the work is dull often but that is expected. Compensation is decent for the work but nothing outstanding.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work in London Colney

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant  in  London Colney, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London Colney, England

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good part time wage
    Easy work
    Flexible and hours
    Good Managers(except one)

Cons

Didn't find any cons, could keep the staff away from freezers though!

Keep up the good work!

If you like hard work and variety this will suit you.

Former Employee - Department Manager
    Former Employee - Department Manager

I worked at J Sainsbury full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good variety of work great people to work with.

Cons

Long hours labour is at a minimum.

Could be better, hope it improves.

I worked at J Sainsbury

Pros

Decent collegues, most customers were good and some staff were very supportive, lots of different jobs to do (if you can get at them), sometimes a store team clicks together excellently (even though it's only temporary as management is soon shuffled around). I found there was good collegue support if you ended up with a very difficult customer, as well.

Cons

A lot of focus on making metrics with little resources or support. Very little employee appraisal or training, too much employee blame when things go wrong. Chronic under-staffing problems. No time-and-a-half or any extra pay for working unsociable hours and public holidays in Convienience stores.

n.b: I left before the recent change of upper management so I don't know if things have changed since.

Agreeing with sentiment re: senior management - employee morale is hampered by unworkable practices and a lot of the policies should be fairly and pragmatically trial-tested in a few stores before being cascaded down. There is very little in-situ appraisal of new ways of doing things other than "don't question it, just make it work or else".

Decent money and a large number of different jobs doing different things, plus good benefits.

Current Employee - Warehouse Clerk  in  Basingstoke, England
    Current Employee - Warehouse Clerk in Basingstoke, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits include staff discount of 10% at all stores and online, plus many other discounts and benefits with other companies exclusive to Sainsbury's staff. Decent pay for clerical positions, and between 5-6 weeks holiday per year. Opportunities in both retail and warehouse/operational side of the company, in locations across the UK.

Cons

Shift work,so you may have to work unsociable hours, and in some sites people get taken on as agency staff for lower pay than being Sainsbury's staff directly, which also means they do not get the benefits. Training in critical areas that impact health and safety done by competent professional trainers, but day to day office training done by other staff in the office on an ad-hoc basis, so you will be pushed in at the deep end and expected to swim!

Managers are too frequently unaware of what each clerical job entails; they know what each department and member of staff is responsible for, but not always what they have to do to achieve that. I quite often hear my job being reduced to "printing out paperwork" and "building a few journeys" when there is so much more that I do and it involves in some cases a lot more work than is implied. One manager ordered a clerical staff member to stop what they were doing to do something for him, not understanding that if that person stopped what they were doing at that moment, the whole warehouse floor would run out of work, for the sake of his job which could wait until someone was free to help him. When they refused and tried to explain why, they were told that they would be brought to the manager's office for a talking to, although this was later quietly dropped when it was explained to the manager by other management that he was wrong.
    The rota changes constantly from one day to the next,as there are not enough staff to cover everything effectively, and often you are not told your shift has changed until you get to work.
    Training depends on fellow staff in each department, so it is hard to get uniformity of processes; for example, when a change to one of our systems was recently discussed, my department was left in the dark about the change because it involved another part of the warehouse and not our department, however this ignored the fact that my department creates the reports that the other department uses and so would need to be aware of any changes to it, and on top of that our staff do have to work in other departments, so we would have to know of the changes anyway.
    In summary, there needs to be more clarity between management and staff on what they do, when they work, and on what training and processes they need or are required to do.

Overall working there was okay.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Cashier in London, England

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are really nice, the customers are also usually nice and have pity for you.

Cons

The organisation of the company is really bad, HR is also terrible. Often would not get holiday at ALL and would not be allowed to go on a break when store is busy.

They won't listen so no point.

Summer Job

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay
    Lots of summer hours if wanted

Cons

As only summer job for a few years had no cons - it gave me money while away from uni

Part time work

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant  in  Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Manchester, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Good progression
    - Friendly staff, many who have been there for years
    - Good hourly wage for part time work

Cons

- Management too focused on passing MCM and MAC
    - Not enough holidays
    - Don't seem to care about younger staff
    - Not much overtime

Get more in touch with younger employees

J Sainsbury Photos

Sainsburys
My work Place
With my supervisor (Right)

+ Add Photo

Worked for J Sainsbury? Contribute to the Community!