J Sainsbury

J Sainsbury Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

J Sainsbury CEO and Director Justin King

Justin King

Pros:
  • "Staff discount of 10% and on occasion it goes up to a max of 20% for couple days"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Job is varied, discount card is great/"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poorly organised Team Leaders who lacked discipline"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Long hours, very tight budgets, challenging stores"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

nice people, good pay!

Cafe Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time for more than a year

ProsThere are opportunities to progress and develop your skills and position, pay is good with opportunities for bonuses each year and people are friendly.

Consthe communication between management and people on the shop floor really needs to be improved. Often didn't feel particularly valued or part of a team.

A friendly place to work

General Assistant (Current Employee)
Leeds, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time for less than a year

ProsNice employees, you have a chance to work in different departments. You get a free uniform and they supply good training before you start the job

ConsLong hours on your feet lugging heavy items can be a killer for the knees. Some managment can be un friendly or hard to find when you need them.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore consistant good managment needed

A company with loads of entry level jobs.

I have been working at J Sainsbury

ProsIt's one of the biggest entry level employers , which offers to anyone who's looking for a temporary or permanent job immediately. The company offers lots of job opportunities, has a very good health safety policy, great co-workers. The employer enjoys respect and the recognition in the labour market from other employers and the HR department is really responsible and actually asks for references from your referees.

ConsUnfortunately plenty of the chances of advancing in the company, engagement, appraisal and personal development are depending on the manager's choise, so the company it would be good to promote and check if they are put in practise all the company's practises. The pay rate is average and there are no good bonuses, no bank holiday extra pay or any overtime extra pay. I haven't noticed any work life balance policies applied.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time engaging with the staff to improve the working environment and listen the employees requests if you cannot apply any changes. Pay attention to the training, except induction there is no other kind of in theory training and many of the important parts of training are learned only after mistakes in practise.

ok

Bakery Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time for more than a year

Prosi can make independent decision on my shift

Consit is a low paid hard job

Advice to Senior Managementno trainings and promotion.glass bar between managers and collegues

A great company to work for who cares for its employees

Senior Analyst Programmer (Current Employee)

I have been working at J Sainsbury full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood people work file balance is good

ConsLess technical roles less technical advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote technical skills amongst employees

very good very good

Sales Graduate (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury full-time for more than a year

Prosenjoyable, rewarding, development, respect, performing

Constime, effort, hours, etc, yeah

Advice to Senior Managementyeah yeah yeah yeah

Flexible

Checkout Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time for more than a year

ProsI like working at Sainsburys because as a student, I appreciate flexibility. Sainsburys offers a lot of freedom for students by offering unpaid leave and holding your job

ConsTypically doing the same tasks everyday so there is quite a lot of repetition in your work life but it's comfortable.

Rubbish

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time for less than a year

ProsNothing good at all apart from the people

ConsBoring and not interesting so is not valuable

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out the management as they cannot manage

If i could give less than a 1 star rating for J Sainsbury (Thurmaston, Leicester), I would!!!

Shelf Stacker (Former Employee)
Leicester, England

I worked at J Sainsbury as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThere are probably more pro's working in an Indian sweatshop for a bowl of soup.

ConsThere are lots of cons, but don't think there would be enough space here to list them all.. Here's a few - They work you like a dog and treat you like something they'd wipe off their shoes.
The team leaders and managers skulk round the isles and watch every move you make.. the Rockwell song somebody's watching me should be their theme tune.. wouldn't surprise me if they had camera's in the bogs, timing how long you took to take a dump!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should quit Sainsburys and join the prison service.. I'm sure wormwood scrubs would benefit from your management style.

"Great Place to Work" NOT

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time

ProsBonus, sick and holiday pay, family friendly. Not much in the way of Pros. Struggled to put this together

ConsIf you are without children you are a low priority in requests for shift and or contract changes. A colleague once asked to work alternate Saturdays so they could have a free weekend twice a month but was denied because two other colleagues had children or a child. Managers (not all) are very very very condescending and patronizing care more about making themselves look better on paper than actually caring about their colleagues' welfare. An example was a Christmas party was cancelled due to lack of interest because of low morale and the general feeling of not wanting to spend an evening with a manager or person that makes their working life hell. To date not a single manager has asked as to why no one wanted to go. Morale is a unimportant non existent entity to Sainsbury's. If you're not working for Sainsbury's with a mind of a career then you have little hope from managers or gaining any promotion. The bonus is very very meagre. You could argue it's more than some. But it IS less than most. The bonus does NOT reflect how much you have worked for the company (does not take into account overtime) the bonus only reflects your flat contract rate at approximately a weeks worth. So for example somebody on a 12 hour contract who works on average 30+ hours a week including overtime will only receive 12 hours worth of bonus. Other retail companies match what the colleagues work including overtime, John Lewis for one

Advice to Senior ManagementMorale is extremely important.

Worked for J Sainsbury? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J Sainsbury reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for J Sainsbury CEO Justin King. All 145 reviews are posted anonymously by J Sainsbury employees.