J Sainsbury

Updated 18 October 2014
Updated 18 October 2014
3.1

Mike Coupe

Pros
  • Staff discount of 10% and on occasion it goes up to a max of 20% for couple days (in 13 reviews)

• paid holiday even on part time contracts no matter how long you have been there (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The team leaders and managers skulk round the isles and watch every move you make (in 10 reviews)

• I haven't noticed any work life balance policies applied (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Friendly people, flexible hours, understanding management.

Current Employee - Baker in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Baker in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time (more than an year)

Pros

All the staff are friendly and easy to talk to. Opportunities to progress.

Cons

Can sometimes find it difficult to book holidays.

Nightshift general assistant

Current Employee - Nightshift General Assistant in London, England
    Current Employee - Nightshift General Assistant in London, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good ambience
    10% discount all year round with up to 15/20% during special events (xmas,Easter...)

Cons

Really difficult to actually achieve a career, a lot of empty promises with a lot of favour asked.

Should put more efforts in giving training to highly motivated employees and get rid of bad workers.

A decent place to work.

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most of the staff are friendly, and depending on each manager, they can make your job enjoyable or not. Atmosphere of the store is good depending on which area you work in.

Cons

They hate it when you call in sick, or take time off. Also benefits only come after 6 months which is slightly unreasonable.

Treat employees with respect and talk to them in a friendly way, dont always assume that they are lieing when calling in sick. Try to be more considerate with students etc and understand that they have priorities.

Can't complain for a part time job

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very good career progression, pleasant environment, opportunities to improve many skills, varied taks

Cons

Lots of overtime and changing stores frequently not taking into account that extra time and money will be spent travelling to further places

Never again

Former Employee - General Assistant in London, England
    Former Employee - General Assistant in London, England

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, staff on the whole are friendly and helpful to newcomers.

Cons

Shocking communication between HR and shopfloor staff made working at Sainsburys more stress than it was worth. Hours were changed at the last minute, and staff were often given false information, whether intentionally or not I am not sure. It was also very hard to get the job in the first place, interviews were re-arranged at very little notice, even when I was told a date and time I was left waiting for an hour because no one had told the department manager he had an interview to conduct.

Improved organisation and communication would make working for the company a much more enjoyable experience.

Some managers are brilliant. Some managers need to pull their finger out.

I have been working at J Sainsbury part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount goes up to 25% certain times during the year.
    Good bonus if we hit targets.
    Everyone is really friendly.
    Meet some nice customers.

Cons

Some manager take the mick when it comes to 'Morning brews' 'Afternoon brews'. Favoritism can cause problems, unless your a brown noser. Sometimes it's one rule for one member of staff then another rule for another memeber. Store Manager doesn't seem to do much.

Listen to your workers!!

Good for experience...

Current Employee - Baker in London, England
    Current Employee - Baker in London, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice colleagues , friendly ,opportunities for transfer

Cons

Always under staff , expect to do the job for missing people, when is happen once or twice a month is understandable ,but when you have to do it every day it make you sick and tired and loss all the enthusiasm of the company.

Hire people quickly , soon as you know that a colleague's leaving, hire ,not when you down 3-4 colleagues then become a nightmare.

Fast paced retailer in tough market

Current Employee - Product Developer in London, England
    Current Employee - Product Developer in London, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great location, discount and friendly colleagues

Cons

Hard to climb the career ladder

Decent money and a large number of different jobs doing different things, plus good benefits.

Current Employee - Warehouse Clerk in Basingstoke, England
    Current Employee - Warehouse Clerk in Basingstoke, England

I have been working at J Sainsbury full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits include staff discount of 10% at all stores and online, plus many other discounts and benefits with other companies exclusive to Sainsbury's staff. Decent pay for clerical positions, and between 5-6 weeks holiday per year. Opportunities in both retail and warehouse/operational side of the company, in locations across the UK.

Cons

Shift work,so you may have to work unsociable hours, and in some sites people get taken on as agency staff for lower pay than being Sainsbury's staff directly, which also means they do not get the benefits. Training in critical areas that impact health and safety done by competent professional trainers, but day to day office training done by other staff in the office on an ad-hoc basis, so you will be pushed in at the deep end and expected to swim!

Managers are too frequently unaware of what each clerical job entails; they know what each department and member of staff is responsible for, but not always what they have to do to achieve that. I quite often hear my job being reduced to "printing out paperwork" and "building a few journeys" when there is so much more that I do and it involves in some cases a lot more work than is implied. One manager ordered a clerical staff member to stop what they were doing to do something for him, not understanding that if that person stopped what they were doing at that moment, the whole warehouse floor would run out of work, for the sake of his job which could wait until someone was free to help him. When they refused and tried to explain why, they were told that they would be brought to the manager's office for a talking to, although this was later quietly dropped when it was explained to the manager by other management that he was wrong.
    The rota changes constantly from one day to the next,as there are not enough staff to cover everything effectively, and often you are not told your shift has changed until you get to work.
    Training depends on fellow staff in each department, so it is hard to get uniformity of processes; for example, when a change to one of our systems was recently discussed, my department was left in the dark about the change because it involved another part of the warehouse and not our department, however this ignored the fact that my department creates the reports that the other department uses and so would need to be aware of any changes to it, and on top of that our staff do have to work in other departments, so we would have to know of the changes anyway.
    In summary, there needs to be more clarity between management and staff on what they do, when they work, and on what training and processes they need or are required to do.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Leeds, England

I worked at J Sainsbury part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

this was a part time job while at college and university, they were very flexible when i went to university. I was originally at the leeds store in moortown but then went to university in manchester. they put me as a dual store colleague meaning i would work in leeds in holidays and work in the manchester store in term time. the pay was good

Cons

the bonus wasn't great if you compare to other stores, I am only comparing as my sister worked for Waitrose and her bonus was nothing on mine, we sometimes didn't get a bonus. Working overtime you dont get an enhanced pay rate it is standard hours.

working in a large store it is harder to get time off but i guess that is everywhere.

J Sainsbury Photos

Sainsburys
My work Place
With my supervisor (Right)

+ Add Photo