JDSU

JDSU Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

JDSU President and CEO Thomas Waechter

Thomas Waechter

Pros:
  • "There is also good work life balance and in some groups you can work remotely for a few days a week"
    in 9 reviews
  • "great people, exciting work, a lot of committment from lower level management"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Employees are overworked - no work/life balance"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Upper Management can't seem to get it together especially when dealing with the customers"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

When you get too lean - you fall over

I have been working at JDSU full-time

ProsGreat products - smart engineers however there is new drive to make products that make the company money first and foremost. Not an issue - except when those profit making products are of no interest to the customer!

ConsManagement is so desperate to cut costs that they have effectively gutted most departments. When you do this customer service falters. Also - all the new metrics ignore the customer on a day to day basis the only real customer focus is in a yearly survey.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the longer term view - and not the here and now slash and burn philosophy that you currently have. Bring the focus back to the customer in REALITY instead of just lip service.

Portfolio Company/Mixed Results

Senior Director (Former Employee)

I worked at JDSU full-time

ProsJDSU was a hot item in the dot-com era and used a lot of it's cash to acquire various businesses over the past 15+ years. It now operates as a "portfolio company" with 3 fairly different business segments. JDSU is a leader in each of the 3 segment's industries. JDSU is a medium sized company ($1.7B revenue, approximately 5,000 employees worldwide) where individuals can still make an impact on the overall results. Executive management strives for innovation to outpace the competition.

ConsAs a portfolio company, the theory is that when one business struggles the other 2 might have better results to offset the downside and create a more stable company. Unfortunately, this rarely happens. In recent years, the 2 largest segments have usually moved in the same direction (i.e., lower or higher revenue in a given quarter), so financial results were highly variable. One of the business units has a very complex business model, which drives a lot of overhead in both the unit and in the corporate functions.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake some hard decisions about simplifying the business model.

A great place to develop Telecom equipment

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at JDSU full-time for more than 5 years

ProsR&D investment of this company is extraordinary, compared to other Telecom vendors and especially in today's economy.

If, and only IF, you can negotiate the right opportunity in the right product group, your career will go far here.

ConsThis company, unfortunately, is tied to the classic quarterly American business model. if your division does poorly, run for cover. FAST. They pull no punches when it comes to staff reductions to save the bottom line. They do not treat their employees as their greatest asset when things go bad. This is particularly a problem when they have over-hired in a group to get their products developed more quickly. In this case, they will make no attempt whatsoever to retain you by farming you over to a more profitable group.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease start keeping long term stability in mind with personnel and project planning management.

Great position, very poor management

Quality Engineer (Former Employee)
Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I worked at JDSU full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat position and team work. I enjoyed the challenge of the position and the ownership of what I was working on.

ConsManagement bullied staff to where people found new jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect the individual as a person because they bring a lot of talent to the job.

Typical international corporation going through changes.

Order Management (Former Employee)
Germantown, MD (US)

I worked at JDSU full-time for more than a year

Prospredictable hours, friendly atmosphere, education reimbursement; mostly nice people; expected to perform the job you are hired for

Consoffice politics; constant layoffs, competition between departments; mandatory overtime; expectation to be at work when the weather is so bad that you are advised to be off the roads

Advice to Senior Managementremember that people are people with families and lives - not just numbers that can be sliced away when the bottom line doesn't look like you want; safety is number one; cut out the dead wood

Sr Desktop Support

Senior Desktop Support (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA (US)

ProsGreat Salary and Benefits, I enjoyed working with the Staff and employees,

ConsHorrible Global IT Management from Europe, Horrible IT Director management from San Jose, Horrible Local Teamwork within IT department in San Jose

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove one-on-one communication with each person on your team, define specific expectations, don't play favoritism with team, always get your facts straight from both sides of the story before delegating information

JDSU has a culture of constant lay offs

I have been working at JDSU full-time for more than 3 years

Pros*Rank and file employees that are good to work with
*Regular communications to employees
*Decent benefits

Cons*Lay offs, lots of layoffs

Two ongoing patterns of JDSU Senior Management; you are just a number
  to them.

-If they see an inability to meet earnings guidance for the quarter,
        they will use lay offs to cut costs to ensure they meet earning
        projections provided to analysts.

-Hire people to focus on company initiatives, then lay them off once
        they decide this once "important" initiative is no longer relevant.

*Very high attrition rate (voluntary and involuntary).

*Inability to attract and retain talent.

Many of the short-term decisions, frequently changing priorities and layoffs
undermine morale and make you second guess Senior Management's ability
and commitment to execute their long-term vision of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiscontinue your practice of treating employees like a disposable commodity.

Was great... not so much anymore.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at JDSU

ProsMiddle management and engineering staff is awesome! Great team-work! Super talented bunch of engineers. Lots to learn!

ConsLeadership/upper management. The only thing that matters are dashboards and irrelevant internal metrics. Current engineering leadership is old-school big bell based. Engineering and marketing used to have a cooperative relationship... now it is
confrontational.

If you like senseless paperwork and spending time working on stuff that adds ZERO value to the customer... then this is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither find a new company to screw up or start to trust your experts and stop micro managing!!!

Great learning environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at JDSU full-time

Prosgreat people, exciting work, a lot of committment from lower level management

ConsManagement changes priorities way too often. Not enough coordination between business units

Horid Management

I have been working at JDSU full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is decent technology at JDSU.

Conscompany is spread out - no one culture. The markets they serve are so boring. Employees are miserable as this company is so old and stodgy. Management is the worst I have ever worked with.

Advice to Senior Managementstop worrying about just yourselves and politics and focus on employees

Worked for JDSU? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at JDSU reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for JDSU CEO Thomas Waechter. All 149 reviews are posted anonymously by JDSU employees.