JDSU

JDSU Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

JDSU President and CEO Thomas Waechter

Thomas Waechter

Pros:
  • "There is also good work life balance and in some groups you can work remotely for a few days a week"
    in 8 reviews
  • "great people, exciting work, a lot of committment from lower level management"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Employees are overworked - no work/life balance"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Upper Management can't seem to get it together especially when dealing with the customers"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Horrible and distressing experience

Human Resources (Former Employee)

I worked at JDSU full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCareer opportunities if you demonstrated aggressive drive

ConsCore values of the senior leadership team

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a method to regularly review core values and make escalation a healthy part of your culture

Good for now

I have been working at JDSU full-time for more than a year

ProsGood work environment as long upper mgmt is not involved.

ConsBad Mgmt. Too many layoffs

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

JDSU is a very negative environment with continual cost cutting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Milpitas, CA (US)

I worked at JDSU full-time for more than a year

ProsSome really good employees
Challenging work

ConsEmployees are overworked - no work/life balance
Constant cost cutting
Terrible senior management team - Sr. VP, HR in particular has a well deserved negative reputation in the valley - not a function you want to join

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a more competent senior management team

Good people. Ambiguous company direction.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I have been working at JDSU full-time for more than a year

ProsGood people. Good compensation. Company treats it's employees well.

ConsNot sure if the company really knew where they were going. Constant management changeups. Frequently changing message to the engineers. Made it hard to stay motivated.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify and focus.

Up and down

Security Pigment Recon (Current Employee)
Santa Rosa, CA (US)

I have been working at JDSU full-time for more than 10 years

Prosbenefits are ok
like who I work with

Consmanagement seems lost and way to busy for be so top heavy here in Santa Rosa

Advice to Senior ManagementLets layoff more six figure staff the ratio of management to employee is tilted heavily toward management.

Not a good place for women

Finance (Former Employee)

I worked at JDSU full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany has fairly good benefits, quite old HQ office in Milpitas. Good work / personal life balance, had chance to work from home when had to. If you negotiate upfront, salary is at par with market. On-site cafeteria, very small gym. Very nice colleagues, smart people you can learn from.

ConsGood ol' boys club. Working in Corporate is highly political, women are promoted very rearly. Everything depends on the fact if you have an executive sponsorship - friendly VP who will put in a word for you, otherwise, you will die waiting for promotion.

Negotiate your salary upfront, salary raise is not happening there either. Merit happens once in a while. Bonuses promised, but after bonus calculation you get a small portion of what was promised to you. High attrition.

If you are an assertive smart woman with career aspirations, you are seen as threat to your male colleagues, given a hope for promotion and loaded with extra work (temporary as promised); however promotion never happens and temp assignments stay with you forever. Some senior managment is clearly lacking experience, you are expected to train them. Be aware of annual reviews: nitpicking and back stabbing is a norm.

Going to review meetings with executive management is seen as an opportunity to show that you are a part of the decision making, therefore is being coveted and reserved for directors and above only. Even if they can't explain details of your work due to lack of understanding.

Corporate vanity fair at it worst.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up the house.

JDSU is a rewarding and interesting place to work!

Compensation Analyst (Current Employee)
Milpitas, CA (US)

I have been working at JDSU full-time for less than a year

ProsThe company cares about employees and demonstrates this thru respectful management practices while pushing hard to compete in the marketplace. Management has done a good job in staying visible by communicating to the employee population on an ongoing basis thru the company website LightSource. When we showcase our products, we also showcase the people who make it all happen. The company takes employee feedback seriously and takes actions based on regular employee engagement surveys.

ConsChange is constant since we conduct a lot of acquistitions. We have a bonus plan, but it need to pay out at 100% more often.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep striving to win. Stay the course.

It is a risky business if you join JDSU or if your company (business unit) is being bought by JDSU

Desktop Support Lead (Former Employee)

I worked at JDSU full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you are still hired and if they don't sell your business out.. then it is okay..They do give out quarterly bonus (which means you don't have to wait for a year before leaving a job)
Also you are pretty much on your own... if you like remote management

ConsRemote management is bad, since the company bought the business unit, I have 3 or 4 IT managers. All we did was talk on the phone to the manager. Basically, there is no interaction at all. Also, JDSU tends to like buy and sell. When it acquires business units, lay off follows, then if they find out your business unit does not make enough money, they will sell you out regardless... That means you are risking of losing your job if you join already acquired company by JDSU and/or work in the company that is about to be acquired by JDSU.

In addition, don't expect you can go to any training they offer. For the past few years I worked there, they were just "talking" about giving employees free training, sending out free classes, then the next day they said "using vouches"!, Even worse, after weeks of remote management meeting, they didn't even bother mentioning it. It is like trying to make you happy, and hold you there.. but never deliver the promise. Those are not close to the managers may not get anything but Talk !

Also, if they spend money, they don't really spend it wisely. Some people who are close to managers (i know politics) may benefit from it. Anyway, they tend to waste a lot money on travel expenses. They send employees out (all the way from head quarter) to other places to do the unnecessary task like to pack computers to ship back, and do migration. Sometimes they send them overseas. If they know how to manager, that amount of money could be saved by hiring consultants to do. Of course, as the chosen employee, you may like it, but I see it not practical at all!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake up your mind when you acquire. People will get disappointed at you eventually if you can't make your acquired business stay!

Mostly good products, mostly good people, terrible management

Engineering (Former Employee)

I worked at JDSU full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGet to play with new toys and technologies early and often. Opportunity to travel, see challenges around the world if you're so inclined. Compensation is at or above industry average.

ConsThe higher up the ladder you look, the worse the quality of the leadership. Constantly shifting management initiatives often in conflict with each other. Outsource and reduce travel cost. Grow emerging markets but design everythign from NA/EMEA requirements. Improve margins but stick with all the wrong contract manufacturers. R&D and marketing run like a global company but without sharing resources across divisions, so act like competitors, meaning little-no opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo private, issue debt, or divest CommTest.

Senior software engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at JDSU full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible work time in this company

ConsNo good career future in this company

Advice to Senior Managementcare more employee development

Worked for JDSU? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at JDSU reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for JDSU CEO Thomas Waechter. All 149 reviews are posted anonymously by JDSU employees.