JDSU Reviews

Updated 21 September 2014
2.8

JDSU President and CEO Thomas Waechter
Thomas Waechter

Pros
  • There is also good work life balance and in some groups you can work remotely for a few days a week (in 10 reviews)

• Great people within the business unit and excellent solutions (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems disconnected to what is really happening (in 11 reviews)

• Employees are overworked - no work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Program Manager

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I have been working at JDSU for more than 10 years

Pros

Good environment, employee benefits are good

Cons

Even I was laied off, european leadership do not understand latin america market

Worst place I have ever worked

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milpitas, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA (US)

I worked at JDSU full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only good thing I experienced at this company was that I was paid very well compared to previous jobs. But now that I am on my own I am getting more.

Cons

Where do I start? There's no celebration of success internally. In most instances, when someone got promoted in my department, there was no announcement. We all found out months later, as if the company were trying to hide it. What I came to see is that most of those promotions were politically motivated and not deserved, so maybe hiding it was a good idea on management's part. There is no career development, no matter what HR tries to tell you. They put together some sad little program where they have speakers come in every month and talk to us, and they call that career development. Really? It's not career development, and in the last couple of months, it's not even well-executed. Lastly, JDSU is a company that manages its workforce using continuous layoffs because management is so bad that they can't find a way to make layoffs unnecessary. That would be called "good management". We all understand that even in the best companies, layoffs are sometimes necessary. But layoffs should be a last resort, not a workforce management tool.

When you use layoffs as a workforce management tool, all you're doing is creating a culture of fear. If you really care about the culture and morale of your company, manage your company well from the executive level down so that layoffs are no longer part of regular life, but only happen when there's no other option. There's no better way to create trust. If layoffs are happening continuously because there really is no other option, then you are creating a destructive cycle and maybe it's time to shut the doors.

Company grew through acquisitions, so really depends on which site/group you are a part of.

I have been working at JDSU full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Current CEO has done a good job over the past 5 years integrating all of the different sites to be more unified - one culture, improved communication, common goals.
    Pretty reasonable/flexible work schedule - heavy when critical deadlines, more relaxed when things are slower, not constant sweatshop.
    Diverse in terms of products/technology and sites/locations - opportunity to move around if you want to try something new by moving internally.

Cons

HR is unimpressive - no real concept of employee development/career paths, managers a lot of times on their own to handle their reports, have seen improvements over past couple of years though.
    Saw a lot of hiring from outside at higher management levels, rather than promoting/growing leaders from within.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company

I have been working at JDSU

Pros

Freedom, personal growth is allowed

Cons

No direction, no training and bad benefit

Lots of people who care and want to do well for themselves and the business unit.

I have been working at JDSU

Pros

Great people within the business unit and excellent solutions.

Cons

New management can't harness talent of existing team

Trust your people and you will be successful

Started great, steady and constant decline ever since

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Germantown, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Germantown, MD (US)

I have been working at JDSU full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work with some of the greatest people, lots of personal freedom, great products. Culture at the worker level is top-notch. Vacation policy is discretionary which allows for tons of free time so long as your manager approves it (the low level managers are great).

Cons

Too many layers of management, penny-pinching, un-trusting mid and senior level management, very little growth or lateral move opportunity, no training, low salary increases, low bonuses. Careers often feel stagnated or stalled after a few years.

remove layers of management, concentrate on employees and their training/growth, work towards long-term and not just near-term "lean" savings, invest in proven technology areas versus stripping them down to invest in "potential" markets for growth

JDSU

Current Employee - Production Technician  in  Santa Rosa, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Production Technician in Santa Rosa, CA (US)

I have been working at JDSU full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

JDSU maintains a diverse workforce.

Cons

JDSU treats all employees like chattle.

Figure out what your employees actually do.

Analyst

I worked at JDSU

Pros

Small office environment, everyone knows everyone well.

Cons

Nothing much to complaint except they decided to close down the office in Penang.

Well managed and structured sales organization - desire to be great

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at JDSU full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Brand recognition, invested in providing sales force with resources to succeed (demo equipment, expenses, training, etc) , sales management. Solid comp plans.

Cons

Product quality dipping in places. Top line management making some questionable roadmap decisions. Lot of outsiders coming in and long term talent departing.

NSE: Don't lose sight of our core competency for designing and selling top quality telecom instrumentation

Worst Managed Company Wver

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Germantown, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Germantown, MD (US)

I have been working at JDSU full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My last day at the Company.

Cons

Turnover, blame, no growth, poor employee morale, ineffective top management, no trust, more turnover, hire/fire every quarter, more turnover, "snake oil" top management, acquire and fire, friends of DWH club.

Senior management - Fire yourself soon. Watch the stock go up. You have failed the investors who have entrusted you with their money. There is no one else to blame. If you continue down the same path, the company will be profitable someday but only one employee will be remaining....DWH.

Worked for JDSU? Contribute to the Community!