Jack Henry & Associates

Jack Henry & Associates Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Jack Henry & Associates CEO and Director Jack Prim

Jack Prim

Pros
  • Benefits are very good and you truly do have amazing work life balance(in 12 reviews)

• Great Benefits/salary/VERY CASUAL WORK ENVIRONMENT(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • In more technical jobs the work/life balance is hard(in 5 reviews)

• JHA is a small company, so there is little room for growth(in 6 reviews)

Great company to work for

Systems/Network Administrator (Current Employee) Alpharetta, GA (US)

ProsFlexible with working from home. Competitive salary. Motto includes Have Fun which JHA def knows how to do. Great place to work.

ConsDepending on what area you work in you could have to travel a lot and work late hours. Nothing else i can think of.

Great place to work and grow your career.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Springfield, MO (US)

ProsManagement is family friendly
    Benefits such as health insurance, 401k, EPSPP, PTO
    Salary
    Work remote flexibility
    I have found that if you want to grow your career you can with JHA. They will help pay for college if you choose to go back. They also have internal job postings to help further your career.

ConsI don't see any. As long as you are willing to push your self you will grow with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the family friendly work environment and work to promote employees under you.

Great place to work

ProsRecognized as a great company in the industry, to clients and employees alike.
    Benefits and PTO plan are fantastic.
    Peers are good people and enjoyable to work with.
    Company strives for "community" approach to work environment.
    Interesting clients/work to keep busy.
    Flexible work arrangements.

ConsLimited growth opportunities.
    No career path or development plan from management.
    Direct compensation can be lacking when compared to industry.
    Potential for blatant favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementCareer path development and hope of growth would go a long way to help employees achieve a true sense of ownership in the company and their respective stake in it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love the Culture.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood company with some really good people. The Company culture is great and makes a great working environment. Just a good, solid company.

ConsThey tend to by technology/products rather than do their own development with the exception of the core products. Makes product integration very difficult. they have also gotten swept up in managing quarter by quarter for profits. Because of this they tent to reorganize a lot and hire large groups then lay off people to manage P&L. There is a certain amount of the "Good Ol' Boy" thing going on. Not what you know but who you know.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to take a good hard look at the organizational structure and how departments interact. There is tons of overlap. For instance several groups will have product technical support responsibilities under the same division. With a few tweaks, accountability and the right leadership in this area, you could very easily have a world class support team.

Great Experience

Accounts Receivable (Former Employee) Brentwood, TN (US)

ProsThey were a great company to work for. The people were professional and the overall attitude of the workplace was pleasant. The people in my department could have been the image that accompanied the definition of teamwork.

ConsJHA allowed employees to transfer to other locations, however, I'm assuming it depended on your role in the company. I had to leave the company to care for an ill parent because I was unable to transfer.

Great place to work, but no advancement opportunities unless you are already a manager

QA Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsJHA is a good company and is run well. The upper management examines every angle of an issue before doing anything that would negatively impact clients or employees.

ConsIt is really difficult to get career growth. I've been in the same position for 7 years and the opportunities to learn new technology or skills have been circumvented by "business needs" every year. The only people who seem to get promoted lately are already either managers or programmers.

Nice people, poor management

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee) Elizabethtown, KY (US)

ProsThere are good people in the office. They tend to try and use the latest technology. Office culture is fairly laid back. They have regular events like field days and office "mini" parties.

ConsThe management here will not give you a straight answer. They make promises and then take their time delivering them, if ever. They will tell you one thing, then be actively working against you at the same time behind your back.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest to your employees. If there is something wrong, don't just assume they will figure it out on their own and hope it gets better. Don't tell them there's a hiring freeze while listing their position on the web sites before they are even gone!

Bait and Switch

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Louisville, KY (US)

ProsThe benefits were outstanding. In fact, the were the best that I've encountered in my professional career to date.

The schedule was very flexible and telecommuting was something that you didn't even have to ask for.

ConsI was hired to be a senior level software professional, but I was almost immediately placed in a non-technical role without consultation.

Nearly all software development is done off shore and you, as the local developer, are simply the English-speaking, non-accented voice on the phone with the clients when things go wrong...

And they go wrong constantly because the entire software engineering process is driven by accountants and project managers. Engineers are regarded as a fungible resource to be assigned to the hottest fires rather than professionals who may have opinions and insights into how better to implement the products and solutions.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop off-shoring the bulk of your engineering work and leverage the local talent you claim you want to hire. Losing seven senior engineers in a year when the tenure of those engineers was between only four weeks(!) and one year should be pretty telling. If this by itself doesn't wake you up, nothing will.

Stop regarding your engineering professionals as flesh-based button pushing devices and let them drive the technical side of things rather than having absurd projects pushed by non-techies who are deadline-obsessed rather than quality-oriented. You've got major problems when your engineers are subordinate to your database team, QA team, and the release technicians.

Stop hiring top-tier talent and then relegating them to support roles behind people who have literally never worked anywhere else before. By all means, reward the loyalty of those who've been at the company since the beginning. But don't do so at the expense of people who know more, have more experience, and who are more technically savvy than those who happened to have been hired right out of high school.

Not a Bad Place to Work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Monett, MO (US)

ProsSchedule flexibility
    friendly atmosphere
    It's a good place to start
    Tuition assistance is nice
    The benefits aren't bad but they aren't great either

ConsPay is minimal compared to industry averages
    Unless you know someone it is nearly impossible to advance through management.
    Depending on the department you work for work-life balance can be thrown way off do to on call, weekend support, etc...

Advice to Senior ManagementAll I ask of management is to look at the compensation policy and try to bring us more in line with the industry averages. The organization is currently making record profits but employees are not getting any of that money. I would also like the ability to advance my career, currently that's impossible.

Full of opportunity and appreciation.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Monett, MO (US)

ProsI love working with a team that treats you like a family, not just like a peer. The core values and philosophy here are LIVED by, not just "talked" about. There's an open door to all of the C-Suite offices and I've never been turned away when I needed someone to hear me out.

ConsIt's hard, challenging work - yet rewarding. You are expected to work hard and smart and sometimes that means putting in the extra hours. But, it's always paid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to talk to the Associates - not just through surveys, but using focus groups. Be sure to tie those conversations and action items directly back to specific goals/initiatives.

Worked for Jack Henry & Associates? Contribute to the Community!