Jack Henry & Associates

Updated 29 September 2014
3.7

Jack Henry & Associates CEO and Director Jack Prim
Jack Prim

Pros
  • Benefits are very good and you truly do have amazing work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• flexible work (partial work from home), interesting tasks, fun coworkers (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is out the window with this company (in 4 reviews)

• Career growth opportunities within management isn't as expansive as I originally thought it'd be (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to be

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Jack Henry is a great place to work. No organization is perfect but the management teams genuinely try to do what is write for the customers and the associates. The benefits and company contribution is fantastic. Office culture is relaxed and flexible.

Cons

sometimes process slows down progress; but overall that is a small problem.

Keep up the good work. Looking towards the future and maintaining the companies original values while still growing in the industry.

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You might think business software is boring. Here's what I've discovered. Anything can be boring if you're surrounded by the wrong people. Jack Henry is not one of those places. Everyone likes what they're doing. And most of the people have quite a bit of experience doing it. The software development teams are dynamic, and work with the latest technologies. The people are fun. It's the first place I've worked in years where I feel relaxed. You start out with a liberal vacation plan. And they really encourage you to take it. You can work from home when you need to. You get current training, and are always encouraged to learn more. Dress is casual, so jeans and a t-shirt most days.

Cons

Upper Upper management can be a bit stiff. But they usually come around.

Salaries need to regularly checked against the market.

Good Company

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates for more than a year

Pros

Good work/life balance. Good benefits.

Cons

Somewhat below average salary. No yearly bonus.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

JHA is a good organization that has slipped on it's commitment to employees as of late.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Allen, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Allen, TX (US)

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Diverse, fairly relaxed atmosphere most of the time. Compensation is generally low compared to the market, but some employees make fair market pay.

Cons

Tragically hard to move around in the organization, you can get cornered into a group that is declining. Terribly slow to develop with Industry standards, falling well behind the curve. Too many legacy systems that just won't let go. Most of the middle managers that I've worked with are smart but generally out of touch. Many of them holding only one other job and therefor bringing very little experience in software development life cycles. Still using waterfall SDL!!!

Offices outside of the home office in Monett are treated like the third world. In terrible repair, dirty and unkempt environments; bathrooms often out of order, ventilation system coughs dust clouds, carpet from 1970, stained and broken furniture (yes it's really that bad). However at the home office, not a blade of grass out of place as workers roam the expansive facility all day polishing toilets, pruning shrubs and providing multiple options for lunch in the on site lunch room at generous discounts. Ya, they just don't care about any other office other than Monett Mo.

Management should look for ways to move their top employees up and provide training for it. The company as a whole should revert to it's roots of putting the ASSOCIATES first and squash the notion of invasive audits of the employees family and person information through unreliable third party's (ConSova).. As of late, the organization is nickle and dimming the benefits which used to be their greatest factor.

Pay attention to facilities outside of Monett. The facility in Allen is a running joke. Obvious that you don't care about employee well being in Texas.

The good ole boy network exists only in Monett Mo. No chance of getting exposed to opportunity in other offices.

It seems they have trouble embracing their stated values

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lenexa, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS (US)

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

good benefits, causal dress, good facility

Cons

disorganized, cumbersome tools, training is not standard

embrace process improvement

Great People, dated work environment, work processes, and application design

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work life balance
    Benefits are OK
    Great people
    Seem to care about their people

Cons

Like working for a company in year 2000
    Scrumbug - teams are not co-located, no product owners, not truly Agile Scrum, not even close
    Application design is dated, reinvent the wheel, old legacy code trying to move to new, Code moving from 80s to late 90s design, it is year 2014.
    Not an exciting place to work, bored to death
    Not innovated
    Place for retirees to come, finishing your final years.

Come into year 2014

Probably Average, normal politics, benefits have gone down in past years

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst  in  Springfield, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Springfield, MO (US)

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stable company, Good raises early in your career. Offers average benefits. Used to offer better.

Cons

Promoting from outside has become the new trend. Need to promote from within the company. Need better communication. Management has an elite attitude and seems to always pass blame to workers rather then ever take responsibility.

Promote from within. How can you hire someone to manage your dedicated employees who've put several years of their lives into the company. At best, when you hire someone from outside, you know what their resumes contains, and what they tell you in 2 or 3 hours worth of interviews. How can you compare that to someone who knows and understands the company and culture. Not promoting from within can destroy incentive!!!! It seems that a lack of confidence or insecurity are the primary reasons why some management structures do not promote from within!! Stop and think about what you're doing!

Great place to work!

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time

Pros

fantastic boss-good atmosphere-beautiful office

Cons

I guess the cons are the extras they took away.

If you are a dedicated employee and have pride in your efforts, you will love working here!

Current Employee - Management  in  Lenexa, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Management in Lenexa, KS (US)

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

As a long-term employee of the company, I have seen my income, and career progress in exciting ways! Management truly cares about employees and the customers we serve, and conveys a sense of always considering alternatives when evaluating internal and external decisions.

Cons

The biggest challenges is people that would rather complain than contribute to the company or team success. Honestly, there are plenty of other places to work. If you have cause for concern or complaint, then please get out of our company. We would much rather work along side of someone that wants to be here and has pride in our company and solutions. Let's be honest... if you gave this company a single-star rating or wouldn't recommend working here, you probably are an 8-to-5 employee that is doing the bare minimum and fear a forced departure any day now anyway.

Don't allow sub-standard employees to remain in our midst. Develop a clear career-progression path for employees that aim to succeed.

Currently working at my favorite company

Current Employee - Implementations Supervisor  in  Springfield, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Implementations Supervisor in Springfield, MO (US)

I have been working at Jack Henry & Associates full-time

Pros

Ethical management decisions, very competitive benefits, and a great workplace environment. JHA was my brass-ring before I got here, and they have proven, close to a decade later, to still be my favorite company. They respect hard work, customer service, ethical decision-making, and a common passion for excellence. They really stand by their mission, and continue to reinforce "Do the Right Think, Do Whatever It Takes, and Have Fun."

Cons

Following the industry, benefits have tightened up. Certain departments have been known to hold onto the "dead weight" people for too long, but this patience with under-performers COULD be considered "a positive," depending on what side of the fence the person is on.

I advise to keep up ethical decision-making, opportunities for advancement, and advancing the company. Not all managers are leaders, and I advise that upper managers continue to help train managers, who want to grow into great leaders.

Jack Henry & Associates Photos

Worked for Jack Henry & Associates? Contribute to the Community!