Jenny Craig
www.jennycraig.com Carlsbad, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Jenny Craig Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Monty Sharma

Pros:
  • "Helping people change their lifestyles to achieve and maintain their weight loss goals"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Great/Healthy way to lose weight when the program is followed"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management does not care about your home life, not family friendly"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Manipulative Market Directors, long hours without lunches and low pay"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Helping people to lose weight and be healthy nice...but not the push to sell, sell, and sell.

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood working hours. Nice co-workers. Clients are great.

ConsLow Hourly Salary plus commission so there is the constant stress to meet your monthly quota or face possible discipline. Many old fashion ideas of how to treat their employees.

Don't believe the hype

Weight Loss Consultant (Current Employee)
Brookfield, WI (US)

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time for more than 3 years

Prosclients are great to work with

Constoo much pressure to over sell every client despite their needs. Focus isn't sincere on weight loss because there is no money in weight. The money is in the food. Buy food, buy food, buy food and you'll get rewarded as a consultant. Processed food that is not meant to consume long term. Kind of ironic that you push food on a person who is trying to lose weight. Your expected to call clients that upper management feel would buy more food. What a joke. Focus is totally on the wrong thing. Weight loss is why people come not to be pushed pre packaged food. No work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the consultants that deal with clients and do all the work not centre directors that hide behind walls and listen into private consultations and judge by one conversation and how much that person spends not how much weight they lost. Reward should be in the weight loss for employees. People would refocus their goals and the business might turn around again.

Could be a great place to work if only.......

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time

ProsBeing able to help people be successful.

ConsNot enough staff to cover hours expected to be open

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to control turnover look at allowing enough staff to run the centre effectively

Hidden Agendas

Weight Loss Consultant (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time for less than a year

ProsI would say the location and the helping folks are the only thing you will get out of this company....

ConsIt is a marketing and sales company and hides the fact that because they recently diminished staff some centers are relegated to doing duties that cleaners and stock personnel would do...the pay is low and depending on the mindset of your coworkers their is constant bickering and back biting going on when it comes to listing and getting clients...a real nightmare

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and train your workers for professionalism not sales quota. pitches and bonous...this is sad

Never again

Home Office (Former Employee)
Carlsbad, CA (US)

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits (401k, Health, Dental, Vision...).

ConsPoor management. Unnecessary bureaucracy saps all the soul out of the workers. Zero upward mobility. Zero pay raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not positive reinforcement if it makes people stop helping you.

LOve what you do and the people, not for money.

Center Director (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you love helping people, clients, then you'll love this job.
Solid program - it works.

ConsYou are not getting rich here.
JC, like the rest of the industry has its challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing the right things.

Sales job not a client care job

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
Carrollton, TX (US)

I worked at Jenny Craig for more than 3 years

ProsProgram discounts, helping others, learned skills like motivational interviewing

ConsMicro-managing, pushing people to buy food, Went in wanting to help people and was even told no one has problem meeting sales goals etc. Management cares more about sales dollars than actually helping people. Promised a full time positions and ended up with 12 hours a week eventually. Miss my clients but don't miss working there

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like the adults they are - Provide more training - Need better compensation

Info for Ft. Lauderdale consultant seeking more info for new compensation

Weight Loss Consultant (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMaking good money but apparently not for long and I like helping clients reach their goal, flexible hours

ConsI have a friend who is in the DFW new compensation plan for jenny. Consultants who have been there less than 10 years got a hourly pay raise ranging from $2 to $4 an hour, anyone over 10 years got maybe about a $1 an hour raise. There is no wage increase once you hit the top hourly wage at 10 years.
 There is no more commission for anything apparently. The only way to make anymore than your hourly pay is if your center makes quota ( it goes up in 5% increments. Which means your market director sets your quota and that is not always set in a fair way for all centers ( so you could have a very high quota which is almost impossible to meet ) and if you have just one slacker in your center that could also sabotage your chances to get any quota bonus.
 I heard they also just rolled out a comeback bonus too. So unless you can get every client to come back every 2 weeks you lose again. That bonus is also on a sliding scale but also it is a center bonus again too.
 A couple of people could be doing all the work to make sure to get bonus's and other staff could do almost nothing and get the same bonus as those who work. Nothing is different for those in high volume centers and those centers who do less than half of a high volume revenue center. I understand that there is supposed to be one other area coming soon.
 I was also told that people are leaving because they can't count on these bonus's ( they are bonus's and have no guarantee you will get them ). Apparently these employees are having trouble being able to pay their bills. I think all this reduction in salary is because jenny has been losing money and now that they are going to be associated with Curves the new CEO wants to lower jenny employee wages to more like Curves lower wages. I am not looking forward to this when it hits me. They seem to think experience is not worth anything and neither is bringing lots of money into centers. You get paid apparently only for how long you have worked for jenny and that is only to 10 years employment -- not for how you perform !!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees a fair wage for what they do

Unrealistic expectations

Program Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking with clients throughout their weight lose journey

ConsEverything else about the company

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

New compensation plan?

Consultant (Current Employee)
Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI have many clients and sell lots of food therefore I make a good salary at this time at Jenny Craig. Can somebody who is piloting the new compensation plan tell me specifically how it works? What is the base salary what is it based on what is the bonus structure

ConsNot knowing what the plan is

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more specific with your employees and more informative about the company changes

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Jenny Craig? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jenny Craig reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Jenny Craig CEO Monty Sharma. All 196 reviews are posted anonymously by Jenny Craig employees.