Jenny Craig Reviews

Updated 16 April 2015
319 reviews filtered by

Franchise Jenny Craig

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

nice working center - colorful, clean, friendly people in our center. Easy training Dieticians are helpful when you call them. Enjoy helping others lose weight.

Cons

Owners are not taking care of their center. We are sitting ducks as the lease has not been paid in over three months. Landlord is harassing us and owners are leaving us in center to deal with it. Lights are out. And other code violations. No pay raises. No Benefits. No mileage reimbursement when they tell you to go out and market to keep center open. Looks like we're being pushed out of our jobs. Owners call and lie to us and to the Landlord Landlord calls to tell us the lies. If you place a call for help- Corporate doesn't listen. crappy place to be.

Advice to Management

Get it together! Stop putting it on your center employees to market. And if you do expect that.. there should be support with mileage.

High expectations, weight loss baby sitter , more about the money than the client

I have been working at Jenny Craig

Pros

Helping those who take it lose weight and keep it off forever , fast paced environment and good pay

Cons

Everything is about numbers not the client you are pressured by other co workers , other centers, management and higher management if you can't control people. Being accountable to your clients meaning harass them if they do not come in and call them for 5 weeks leaving detailed mesgs every day . I feel like if you improve in one area , management finds another area to crap on you and you never get told good job for fixing the previous problem .

Advice to Management

Tell someone someday that they are actually doing a good job not constantly criticize them about what they are doing wrong .

My job WAS my life and love - JC to be 4-5 stars!!

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Being open and serving with all your heart and creative mental capacity, working at Jenny Craig afforded an opportunity to make a positive difference every day. I loved my job!
    In fact, I was so honored and privileged to listen, motivate and teach, that I didn't mind performing support tasks, like stocking food and making confirmation calls.
    The company WAS transparent, plus the values, training and support were exemplary.

Cons

The new owners/management nationalized the pay scale Oct 1, 2014, and, for top producers and client retainers such as me, it meant a significant pay cut (40+% for me). They gave no accounting for production, retention, weight loss, etc. To remain in my position, it meant certain poverty. I was devastated after 5 1/2 years of devoted service, and surely miss the challenges, client successes, and rewards every day. My force out (sign accepting poverty or leave) was Sept 30, 2014.
    I did work every holiday and Saturday for 5 1/2 years except Christmas and Thanksgiving. This did negatively affect work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Pay your people that learn and work hard a livable wage. Remember that is a company developed by a fabulous woman with great vision to serve and change lives. De-motivated employees have an inherent difficulty motivating others.... especially when they are hungry and cannot afford the food you sell.
     In September, 2014, I took home (after $400 in benefits) $2300+/- for the month, and, under the current pay structure, it would be $1200.00 a month. I could pay my rent, utilities, and car payment, but not fuel for my car or myself (food), much less established personal bills, like CC and student loans.

Ups and downs

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helping people reach their goals

Cons

Constant change and confusion with offers and education

Advice to Management

Let the field employees make the decisions on change.

Management needs to reconsider payscale

Former Employee - Program Consultant in Memphis, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Program Consultant in Memphis, TN (US)

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The best part was helping clients with their weight loss and seeing results each week.

Cons

the money and expectations were not in sync. Very low pay for the job we did. Very hard to retain clients due to food price.

Advice to Management

Please pay your employees more and maybe reduce the cost of the food.

I loved helping my clients but very poor management.

Former Employee - Weight Loss Consultant in Palmdale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Weight Loss Consultant in Palmdale, CA (US)

I worked at Jenny Craig part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very rewarding to help people lose weight

Cons

Under very poor management and center had a low morale.

Great job because you get to really help change clients lives

Current Employee - Weight Loss Consultant in Central Valley, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Weight Loss Consultant in Central Valley, CA (US)

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Love helping clients feel better and get healthier. Its very rewarding

Cons

I shake my head as to the reasons behind why they hire some of the managers. In my opinion they aren't always the most qualified. I feel they are the most well liked but that doesn't make the best managers. Our center director doesn't really motivate us just wants to be our friend more.

Advice to Management

Know what your center directors are doing in their centers. Sometimes its the staff who are really the driving force. Sincerely ask staff how their center director is doing. My cd is running a business on the side out of her office and boyfriend & family calls 3-4 times daily. We are selfmotivating that's the reason why our center is doing well. Not due to the cds input.

Cheap company who doesn't care about their employees or their clients.

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Making relationships with clients over time, watching them reach milestones or even hit their goal was very rewarding. The job itself is extremely easy as well.

Cons

Sorry this is lengthy, but I might as well dump it all out there...

The program itself…
    Calories in vs. calories out is the key to weight loss. Jenny Craig prides itself on being balanced in terms of calories, fats, carbohydrates, proteins etc. For the most part, the Jenny Craig lifestyle is healthy and you are eventually supposed to be able to eat non-Jenny foods on your own and still maintain your weight. My biggest issues with the program were,
    A.) We were told that things like diet soda and other artificial sweeteners are "Free foods" (meaning you can eat them as much as you want, at any time). Same with ketchup.. (I get it- tomatoes. But some ketchup is loaded with high fructose corn syrup and other sugars.) I was never comfortable passing this information onto other people. It may be way better than their habits before, depending on the person, but regardless- diet sodas and other artificial sweeteners are just as bad as regular sugar, if not worse.
    B.) Jenny Craig uses a very basic way to calculate how many calories people should be consuming-- the BMI scale. While the BMI scale is helpful, its a very, very broad and general scale which does not take into account how much muscle or fat somebody has. Yes, most people on Jenny Craig have excess fat, obviously. However, if you go to a dietitian, chances are they will be able to tell you percentages of your muscle mass, fat mass, water mass, etc--- If Jenny Craig wants to be a reliable weight loss company in terms of giving people REAL results each week, they should upgrade on getting a scale which can determine these things! Somebody can drink a glass of water before their weigh in and be up a pound. I think people would be MUCH more impressed and motivated to see other numbers drop, like their fat mass--- not just a number on a scale, which can be extremely discouraging and misleading.

The job…
    I suppose it really depends on which center you are working for. Mine in particular was fairly slow. There wasn't much to do during down time if the products were all stocked, other than bugging former clients over the phone, practically begging them to come back (which I hardly ever did, truthfully, because I never got any positive feedback from doing so.) Chances are, they left for a reason. Too pricy, not enough support, lack of motivation, got bored of the same foods on the menu, didn't see results (likely due to the fact that we do not offer more information than a number on a scale each week), etc, etc. I get that this company is a business- but clients know when they are not appreciated and are only seen as a dollar sign.

The pay…
    The compensation is pretty ridiculous. Started off at $9 an hour plus commission off of food sales and program sales. Recently, they came out with this "brilliant" new compensation plan that sounded good to some of us at first, but of course only became a huge disappointment. Depending on which market you were in, if you were getting paid $9 an hour, it got bumped up to $12-$13 something but took away commissions. However, they raised the bonus scale, which really ended up looking like it would work out in my favor. That was until they decided to cut all of our hours. (Mind you-- "full time" at Jenny Craig is considered anything above 30 hours-- and it rarely exceeded 32, at least in the center I belonged to.) There were different levels of bonuses depending on how many hours an individual worked. In order to make sure none of us would ever receive a full bonus, they put all of our hours just below that limit. Starting to see how cheap and selfish this company is? No? Let me continue. I believe $15 an hour that is the highest a consultant can be paid, depending on how long they've been there. By taking away THESE peoples' commissions- AND reducing their hours… WITHOUT giving them any pay raise… do you see how hard they jipped the consultants who have been there the longest? If anything, you think the Jenny Craig company would be THANKFUL that someone bothered staying there so long considering the way they treat their employees! Also consider the fact that you have to have a certain amount of hours on average to receive any sort of medical benefits.

I get that this is a business, and they need to be profitable. But Jenny Craig will only continue to go in this downward spiral if changes aren't made. I didn't even last a year because I was completely wasting my time- and from what management has told me themselves- not many people do last longer than a year. That's why they introduced their "amazing" new pay scale in the first place- to trick people into thinking they weren't wasting their time in this place. It's crazy to me that they don't seem to care much about losing their consultants- because ultimately, WE are a huge motivator for clients to continue coming. We build relationships with these people, and we care about them. I was so sorry to leave this company and say goodbye to all of my clients. Especially because I understand that some clients get attached to their consultants, and aren't likely to return once their consultant leaves. You think Jenny Craig would take that into consideration when they think about how many employees leave before their first year is even up.

If Jenny Craig were to focus more on giving their clients what they want, as well as listening to employees and not wasting time running business to business handing out fliers… they might see a difference. A good company doesn't have to harass or trick people into becoming clients. A good company would know that if they really, really are a good company, clients will come by themselves after seeing some actual advertising. Maybe put out a commercial? Seriously. Going door to door is annoying and nobody appreciates that, ever.

I am so happy I left this company, aside from missing my clients. I encourage all consultants who are not making enough money to pay their bills to find something better. I also sincerely warn everyone who is considering applying for this job, that if you are looking for steady hours and decent pay, this is not the place. If you don't require much income or are only looking for a part time job, you may find this job rewarding.

Advice to Management

You're losing your best employees. Their clients will likely leave with them eventually. Make it worth your employees' time to bother coming to work. The new compensation plan is just insulting, especially to senior consultants.

You offer a scale that shows body fat mass, water mass, muscle mass etc- so WHY not incorporate one into every center so that clients can see where their weight is going, or coming from? Is it water retention? How can we provide a proper consultation without knowing exactly where their weight has gone up or down from?

Horrible Management

Former Employee - Weight Loss Consultant
    Former Employee - Weight Loss Consultant

I worked at Jenny Craig full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Helping the clients with losing weight.

Cons

Very demanding schedule, have to be available 7 days a week open to close. Unrealistic sales goals, want you to push product on clients even when not beneficial to them.

Advice to Management

Focus more on the client and less on sales goals. They are real people struggling, not a dollar sign.

Is everyone here for the right reasons?

Current Employee - Weight Loss Consultant in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Weight Loss Consultant in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Jenny Craig full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with the clients is the best part of the job. Lots of satisfaction there. You're helping people everyday to reach their health goals.

Cons

Very few managers are good at managing and training. A lot of employees including management are Prima donnas especially the ones who have been with the company for 5+ years. Compensation is terrible. New compensation package doesn't show any appreciation for consultants. Upper management rarely keeps anyone informed about changes. The center directors and consultants get the whiplash effect of whatever upper management does. Many people are leaving and/or looking for new jobs because of how ridiculous the expectations are between keeping clients active and motivated , and keeping the center deposit high. If you wanna make money now you have to work ridiculous hours and that's IF your center can afford to have u working full time hours.

Advice to Management

Consider your consultants! They are the ones keeping your clients in the centers. Not upper management and rarely center directors.

Jenny Craig Photos