JetBlue

JetBlue Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

JetBlue President & CEO Dave Barger

Dave Barger

Pros:
  • "Great brand name, flight benefits, culture is great, NY office is awesome"
    in 36 reviews
  • "The staff is awesome and the flight benefits are great"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper Management continues to lie and make false promises"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Not very good at trickling down top management new ideas to middle management"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Horrible abusive management

Customer Service Agent (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at JetBlue full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFirst few years was a great place with pleasant work environment and great travel benefits, but after change of management and practices, not much to like about the company or working conditions anymore.

ConsNew management draconian, abusive, conniving and downright mean-spirited; just always looking for any reason to knock you, belittle you and/or hand out disciplinary action; could really blow any little thing out of proportion. Supervisors would often have you in situations where you would be 'damned if you do, damned if you don't, or you can only take choice A or B in a bad situation, and you will get yelled at/disciplined no matter which one you choose; would even at times ask you to do something and then scream at you for doing exactly what you were asked! (Of course if I didn't, I'm sure they would have been quick to charge me with insubordination!) Held to unrealistically short times to turn aircraft at gate, often without tools needed to do job properly; some staff led to compromise safety for fear of being disciplined/written up if they didn't make the turn time. Airline had horrible contingency planning, sometimes irrationally cancelling our flights when weather conditions not that bad to warrant it, and would leave some customers stranded for up to 5 or 6 days, and without the option to rebook to another airline (Rule 240 like other airlines can). Also, new reservation system full of bugs, IT very slow to fix, would constantly change procedures (for rebooking, ticket changes, etc.) without telling us, and of course, we get blamed for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince you brag about integrity being one of the company's values and hold us to it, maybe you should hold yourself to it in the way you treat your staff; have realistic expectations, understand we are often left in bad situations we can only do so much about, and for those supervisors who abuse their authority and treat staff badly, its time they got a taste of their own medicine.

Great company but still working out the kinks internally

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at JetBlue full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat brand name, flight benefits, culture is great, NY office is awesome

ConsDepending on the dept the work life balance may not be so great, technology for the support centers has not caught up to the rest of the company

Advice to Senior ManagementThe support centers need some additional attention and some changes have to be made to be more efficient. You cannot continue to grow yet still do things the same way you used to.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

This company has changed dramatically........I have been with JetBlue for over 11 years.

In Flight Crew Member (Current Employee)

I have been working at JetBlue full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTheir Care Team is amazing, wonderful people who are very supportive when you need it. You don't see that very often at big companies.

ConsThe REALLY don't care about their Inflight Department, period. Everything is a struggle and if you are on reserve, it can be really tough.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe the way you used to be.....treat your employees with dignity and respect and in turn you will get better performance from them.

Bait and switch

I have been working at JetBlue full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTravel benefits like any other airline

ConsThey sell you their values but don't embody them.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Great company going through growing pains.

In Flight Crew/Flight Attendant (Current Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at JetBlue full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible schedule, free flight benefits, opportunities to grow in many area if you want to.

ConsRules can sometimes be up for interpretation. Extreme diversity in work ethics. At times, lack of proper and consistent accountability leads to frustration within work groups and creates an "us against them" mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet away from STAR interview process and begin hiring management that is skilled in more than specialized interview techniques.

The most horrible company Ive ever worked for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at JetBlue part-time for less than a year

ProsWeekly Pay... and that's it.

ConsTerrible management and supervision, terrible training. Terrible hours. They want you to be on top of everything but they aren't on top of everything themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about about take some responsibility for your mistakes, don't overwork your employees, don't break rules when its convenient for you. Oh and make sure you train new employees on what they will actually be doing. Worst management ever.

Better to lie and fly then be honest and grounded

In Flight Crew (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at JetBlue full-time for less than a year

ProsFlexible hours and schedule. So can accommodate most days off.

ConsUnreasonable response time to call in for work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore realistic and less close cutting hours on call out. Better preparation from the company will allow more results from employees.

Nice on the outside, but rotten on the inside

People Department (Current Employee)

I have been working at JetBlue full-time for more than a year

Pros(This is all my view points from the LIC Support Center)
-Younger workforce
- Energized environment, but this differs from dept to dept
- Great architecture at HQ with a modern-esq look and feel
- Most upper management are at least educated, but that comes with arrogance
- People are polite and professional
- Fun culture when folks are happy

ConsVPs and higher have no clue as to what goes on with the Day 2 Day operations and therefore take the lead from their Directors and Managers. My first month there I heard so many jokes about job security, but never took anything seriously because I thought my credentials and experience will speak for themselves. Well, I was wrong. If they want someone else in the position that can be high performing (bringing their own people in), they will make sure you are setup to fail. You will slowly be phased out without even knowing and one day be called in to let you know you have been terminated with the reason there isn't enough work. Only to discover that more people were hired for the department. Lesson? Yes, don't be afraid to push boundaries because it seems those are the ones that make it.

New Directors and old ones are re-hired to implement changes, but all they do is perpetuate bad actions and policies. They hardly ever do what is right for their people.

Also, if you are good at sucking-up, you will get far. People are promoted into management positions not because they have the qualifications, but if the VP or Director like you and you've been there 2-5 years, you are guaranteed to get the spot regardless of anyone else being qualified on the team. For such a young company I was surprised at the lack of diversity at the HQ. Hardly any people of color in management positions and hardly any women occupying top positions. The ones that are, seem like they only got it because of EEO policies (no pun intended). I know they are smart, but form the outside it looks like a farce.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou claim to live by the mission and vision, but it seems it only pertains to customers. The people working hard to support you seem to be treated like they are dispensable and irrelevant. Remember to get to the top, you still need to step up and look down. Don't let your eagerness to get to the top cloud your judgement to do the right thing and concentrate less on doing it right.

Very disappointed; they don't practice what they preach.

Reservations/Customer Care (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at JetBlue full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThey are still able to hire very good people and employees.

ConsThey don't take care and appreciate the good people they hire and the work they perform.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you preach "bringing humanity back to air travel" how about practicing bringing humanity back to employee relations.

Decent company for the young professional to start your career but don't expect to stay long

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Long Island City, NY (US)

I worked at JetBlue full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat culture and really fun people to work with

ConsInexperienced managers who only care about their own personal interest and career goals

Worked for JetBlue? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at JetBlue reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for JetBlue CEO Dave Barger. All 251 reviews are posted anonymously by JetBlue employees.