John Lewis

Updated 13 November 2014
4.2

John Lewis Chairman Charlie Mayfield
Charlie Mayfield

Pros
  • Fun environment to work in while remaining professional (in 7 reviews)

• Annual bonus, good benefits, time and a half on sundays (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No consistency in career progression across head office- it depends who your line manager and head of is (in 5 reviews)

• not changing well lack of jobs very slow to react long hours very poor managed at store level (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

If you're going to do retail, John Lewis is the way forward

Current Employee - Selling Assistant in London, England
    Current Employee - Selling Assistant in London, England

I have been working at John Lewis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The bonus alone is worth working here. The discount is also a great perk, especially because it can be used in conjunction with price match offers. Staff is generally great and if you establish a good relationship with them, they can and will be willing to go out of their way to help you.

Cons

It's a very old brand and has a long established clientele, most of whom are amazing to encounter because they spend half an hour at the till just talking to you about the old days (they're generally very pleased with where the company is now). Unfortunately some of this customer base are customers nobody wants to deal with, because they can be racist and down right ugly in their behaviour. Considering how diverse partner backgrounds are today, I'm willing to bet this happens more often than reported.

Stop promoting people based on their looks. There are far more capable people if only you knew how to look for them.

stock management

I have been working at John Lewis

Pros

easy job no need for mental use, good environment, good culture,

Cons

nothing interesting, boring, took really long to get a uniform

Good

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at John Lewis part-time

Pros

John Lewis looks after it's staff an has a refreshing approach to retail. Actually caring about the customers. There's a fair bit of autonomy and ability to make decisions once you've been there a while, though this did seem to be being eroded when I left.

Cons

It's hard to advance or receive pay increases. Use of clever pay banding to reduce salary increases and prevent fast promotions

Great temping experience

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I worked at John Lewis part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with, good benefits, and a good working culture. Was a fantastic place to spend 3 months learning about retail.

Cons

The training was adequate, more time could have been spent inducting new, albeit temporary, staff into the computer systems and stock checking software.

Put my faith back into retail work!

Former Employee - John Lewis in Greenhithe, England
    Former Employee - John Lewis in Greenhithe, England

I worked at John Lewis full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fully till trained, trusted to have own responsibilities, really nice and helpful staff. Never feel like you can't ask for help, you were allowed to rotate and work in all areas of the job. Mostly nice customers. Enjoyed looking smart and representing the company. Really good Christmas hours, closed Boxing Day and Christmas Eve. Made a lot of friends. If you were late because of traffic etc it's understood by management. Successful company because of these things. 50% uniform and 25% discount.

Cons

I was only a Christmas temp so didn't get my discount, felt as if I was encouraged and praised greatly to learn they were not keeping any temps on. Felt I had a lot of potential but wasn't always recognised. Some rude customers and people stealing but that's retail. Sometimes felt abit intrusive with cliques already there.

Keep moving forward as such a great company. But keep successful temps on because they often have more potential than some staff already there.

Best part-time job.

Former Employee - Shop Assistant in London, England
    Former Employee - Shop Assistant in London, England

I worked at John Lewis part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is great if you're looking for a student part-time job. Very flexible, you can be contracted 1 day a week, but work more if you have time.

Cons

Had to start at 7 sometimes, but that is completely up to you whether you accept the shift or not and closed at 10, which is late,too.

None

Best place I´ve worked at

Former Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in London, England
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in London, England

I worked at John Lewis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They give you the best training, try to keep you motivated,and that are many perks that come with working for John Lewis - discounts at the store, at Waitroses, and with several other partners. Flexible holidays, annual bonus, paid leave after a while working there, as well as holiday homes for a lot less.
    Plus, the atmosphere is usually very good. People who work there love it, and stay.
    Also, the pay is above average, specially if you are in specialised position.

Cons

Of course there are managers and colleagues that makes you wonder "How did you even get hired?"
    Also, if you´re a very competitive person, stay away: no comission on sales, and though there´s possibility for growth, you probably will still be working for customers and for your staff. You will earn decent money, but will never be wealthy working here.

Take care of your staff. Check if everyone is happy.

Temporary Sales Assistant Interview

Current Employee - Temporary Sales Assistant in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Temporary Sales Assistant in Bristol, England

I have been working at John Lewis full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible rotas
    End of year bonus
    Good management
    Friendly

Cons

High customer service expectation which must constantly be maintained

Selling Assistant - Full-time

Former Employee - Selling Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Selling Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at John Lewis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Professional atmosphere for retail.
    Very generous bonus in March
    High standard of customer service

Cons

Customers have all the power in the world to get just-about anything they want.
    Limited career progression

Excellent company to work for

Former Employee - Electrical Sales Assistant in Aberdeen, Scotland
    Former Employee - Electrical Sales Assistant in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at John Lewis part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's possible to advance in a career quite quickly in John Lewis, even as a part-time assistant. They know how to care for their partners and as a result have a relatively low staff turnover compared to other companies in retail. Having been in the electrical department, they push you to think for yourself, in the sense that there is no 'instruction manual' for solving problems yet the people are great, very helpful and guide you without any hesitation. They expect you to have common sense and they trust you to do what's best - which is good. Breaks, holidays and the bonus are fantastic. Easily the best company I've worked for, but of course, there are also some flaws...

Cons

I agree with a lot of reviews on here saying that from the outside John Lewis looks amazing, but from the inside, you begin to see that they are just very good at disguising negatives as positives. For example: the reshuffling of management around a year ago was considered to be a very beneficial business strategy, which I'm sure it was, but in our branch I think more than 2/3 of the partners were left devastated at the result. Also, yes, you are a partner and are meant to have at least some say in the company but that is simply not true. Favouritism is wide-spread amongst managers and managers never considered any valid ideas that were presented to them from partners lower than them.

More often than not, managers were quite arrogant and a little megalomanic. My advice is to listen to your partners and stop thinking about yourselves. This often led to very counterproductive episodes. A lot of managers had no idea how to deal with customers regardless of working in retail. However, some managers were very good and had a really good relationship with partners and customers.