Johnson Controls

www.johnsoncontrols.com

Johnson Controls Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Alex A. Molinaroli

Pros
  • Great company, good benefits, high level experience with high level management (in 32 reviews)

• Good work-life balance (not true for all projects, depends on position also) (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is good if you are not traveling much (in 22 reviews)

• Numerous levels of upper management with people or structure changing every 1 to 2 years (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

chiller tech

Chiller Technician (Current Employee) Birmingham, England

ProsReasonable work load, good salary, good manager

ConsToo much red tape. Not enough investment. Behind the times with regards to electronic reporting or lack of it.

low pay company

Prosa nice group of people

Consvery low pay
    no overtime
    no opportunities

Johnson Controls Global Workplace Solutions - An Uncertain Future?

Manager (Former Employee) Aldershot, England

ProsThe biggest "pro" is the people within the GWS group. In my time I met some really amazing people, many of whom I now regard as friends rather than colleagues, and due to the international nature of the business these connections are truly worldwide.

Pay and conditions are pretty good and there are ample opportunities for training and development for all employees. People joining in one role can often move into other business roles, activities or locations, and move up through the management structure.

The nature of the business, which is all about meeting the expectations of a diverse customer base, means that working here is always interesting and challenging.

ConsThe GWS business provides Facilities Management services at Customer-owned premises. Therefore there is a tendency for employees to view their own location in isolation from the Head Office. This is often exacerbated by the fact that those employees have been transferred from the Customer when the FM services were outsourced.

Management seems to be driven by the "the next big thing" principle. What is flavour of the month this week, is soon yesterday’s news. If you find yourself working on one of these initiatives, remember to keep a look out for the warning signs that signal a change in direction. If you do find yourself at risk, it is also a good idea to remember that GWS are all about Talent Acquisition and very little about Talent Retention.

There has also been a tendency to create excessive layers of management. The over-use of the title Director, especially for managers with only one or two employees or minimal Departmental responsibility is a symptom of this. When it comes for efficiencies to me made it is notable that the "Directors" are rarely on the target list.

Despite being keen to be seen as a conscientious and ethical employer, who retain and recognize their employees. they are quite capable of putting these values to one side when required and the exit process for those chosen for "right-sizing" is very efficient and fairly ruthless.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking about the Cost of your employees & focus on the Value they provide. GWS is a "people provider" business only, yet you value employees very lightly. Most managers would be horrified that their major rivals are reaping the benefits of the skills and experience gained and paid for by GWS, However JCI GWS seems content to drive more and more of them out the door and into their rivals' organization.

The decision to move away from Soft Services and specialize in Technical services, seems to be based solely on the fact that GWS can't compete in with their rivals, rather than any pro-active business rationale. With the Quality of staff that you employ/did employ in these fields a better approach would be to work on innovation and efficiencies to fix the problem rather than run away from it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dissapointing

Engineer (Current Employee) Manchester, England

ProsAfter 8 months, none so far.

ConsPoor employee recognition, slow to respond to key employee related issues. HR has passive stance with regard to UK employment law. No bonus scheme. Regular failures to act on promises (training/recognition). Failure to understand and properly implement UK TUPE regulations.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognise employee expertise, value them. Learn more about the account at the proposal stage, listen to the experts.

A good global presence in the FM sector. Not sure they are the best in the UK.

Human Resources (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat training and development opportunities.

ConsOnboarding is long and drawn out. Limited career progression and UK grade structure at management level does not always include performance bonus so no matter how much extra effort is put into achieving targets the reward system is not very rewarding.

JCI a company for your future

Business Development (Current Employee) London, England

ProsJCI Culture is very positive and that's the reason I work there and have done fro more than ten years.
    Whilst not perfect I have been lucky in working in small dynamic environments in challenging situations.
    My colleugues are almost without exception positive people and in my part fo teh business there is very little politics...

ConsThey are foucsed on quarterly results to plan and will take tough decisions early to ensure ongoing performance.
    This is good as many companies bury their heads and take too long to make difficult decisions. But it can be hard on individuals whoa re asked to leave.
    In the UK they will only pay just above the statutory minimum should you be made redunant..

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees fairly globally, we work globally, we talk global solutions, global customers therefore we should treat people equally on a global basis.

Join Johnson Controls but research carefully before signing !!!

Senior Management (Former Employee) Coventry, England

ProsIf you relish very large global company environments then Johnson Controls is for you. The higher up the Management chain you are then the more rewarded you are. The treatment of women however is far from ideal and women in Europe hit a ceiling at mid executive level.

ConsThe lack of communications and lack of ability and capability of European HR departments is appalling. Employees at bottom end of scale tend to be overworked and underpaid but remain intensely loyal.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease look at the capabilities of your Senior executives. You seem to promote people without the necessary skills up the management hierarchy as this tends to be less stressful than placing on poor performance or just plain getting rid of. You have lots of loyal people at mid management level who are very loyal and are the workhorses of your company. Please try treating them with a little more respect and less focused on financial targets. Without your employees you are nothing.

A great company to work for long term

Business Development Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat People, Good Leadership, Large company resources with flexible & sound business approach. I am paid well but always feel (as everyone does) they are worth more.

ConsAuto industry is a challenge in terms of customers and general market conditions. Overall not many downsides with JCI I have been here more than ten years and its better than the other 4 companies I have worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery little. One of the best aspects of this company is the Leadership. They are very capable and broad minded people with a great track record and consistancy of approach. The culture is good and whilst leadership can be misunderstood at working levels its very sound.

good top company, great team works that are knowledgeable. Excellent benefits on 401k matching and salary

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prostraining, great team workers, salary, 401k matching, benefits

Consconducting business, meetings, forecasting, multiple systems, competitive within company reps.

Great Company with good management. Growth oriented and trying to consolidate the various busines

Principal Engineer/Technologist (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI (US)

ProsTop Management has great vision and clear direction of where they want to take the business to and make money. Very ethical and train employees annualy to remain ethical in their daily practices

ConsMiddle managers need to follw the lead of the top management

Advice to Senior ManagementSupervise middle management more to make sure the following the vision. Top heavy on the director positions. Some very new directors have very little experience and sometimes technical knowledge to effectively lead and are hence a hinderence

Worked for Johnson Controls? Contribute to the Community!