Johnson Controls
www.johnsoncontrols.com Milwaukee, WI 5000+ Employees

Johnson Controls Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Alex A. Molinaroli

Pros:
  • "Good work-life balance (not true for all projects, depends on position also)"
    in 15 reviews
  • "great people, good communication from management, focus on quality"
    in 25 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is good if you are not traveling much"
    in 18 reviews
  • "It is a very large company and people are more "resources" than individuals"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

chiller tech

Chiller Technician (Current Employee)
Birmingham, England

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 3 years

ProsReasonable work load, good salary, good manager

ConsToo much red tape. Not enough investment. Behind the times with regards to electronic reporting or lack of it.

Johnson Controls Global Workplace Solutions - An Uncertain Future?

Manager (Former Employee)
Aldershot, England

I worked at Johnson Controls for more than 10 years

ProsThe biggest "pro" is the people within the GWS group. In my time I met some really amazing people, many of whom I now regard as friends rather than colleagues, and due to the international nature of the business these connections are truly worldwide.

Pay and conditions are pretty good and there are ample opportunities for training and development for all employees. People joining in one role can often move into other business roles, activities or locations, and move up through the management structure.

The nature of the business, which is all about meeting the expectations of a diverse customer base, means that working here is always interesting and challenging.

ConsThe GWS business provides Facilities Management services at Customer-owned premises. Therefore there is a tendency for employees to view their own location in isolation from the Head Office. This is often exacerbated by the fact that those employees have been transferred from the Customer when the FM services were outsourced.

Management seems to be driven by the "the next big thing" principle. What is flavour of the month this week, is soon yesterday’s news. If you find yourself working on one of these initiatives, remember to keep a look out for the warning signs that signal a change in direction. If you do find yourself at risk, it is also a good idea to remember that GWS are all about Talent Acquisition and very little about Talent Retention.

There has also been a tendency to create excessive layers of management. The over-use of the title Director, especially for managers with only one or two employees or minimal Departmental responsibility is a symptom of this. When it comes for efficiencies to me made it is notable that the "Directors" are rarely on the target list.

Despite being keen to be seen as a conscientious and ethical employer, who retain and recognize their employees. they are quite capable of putting these values to one side when required and the exit process for those chosen for "right-sizing" is very efficient and fairly ruthless.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking about the Cost of your employees & focus on the Value they provide. GWS is a "people provider" business only, yet you value employees very lightly. Most managers would be horrified that their major rivals are reaping the benefits of the skills and experience gained and paid for by GWS, However JCI GWS seems content to drive more and more of them out the door and into their rivals' organization.

The decision to move away from Soft Services and specialize in Technical services, seems to be based solely on the fact that GWS can't compete in with their rivals, rather than any pro-active business rationale. With the Quality of staff that you employ/did employ in these fields a better approach would be to work on innovation and efficiencies to fix the problem rather than run away from it.

Dissapointing

Engineer (Current Employee)
Manchester, England

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time for less than a year

ProsAfter 8 months, none so far.

ConsPoor employee recognition, slow to respond to key employee related issues. HR has passive stance with regard to UK employment law. No bonus scheme. Regular failures to act on promises (training/recognition). Failure to understand and properly implement UK TUPE regulations.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognise employee expertise, value them. Learn more about the account at the proposal stage, listen to the experts.

A good global presence in the FM sector. Not sure they are the best in the UK.

Human Resources (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Johnson Controls as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat training and development opportunities.

ConsOnboarding is long and drawn out. Limited career progression and UK grade structure at management level does not always include performance bonus so no matter how much extra effort is put into achieving targets the reward system is not very rewarding.

JCI a company for your future

Business Development (Current Employee)

I have been working at Johnson Controls

ProsJCI Culture is very positive and that's the reason I work there and have done fro more than ten years.
Whilst not perfect I have been lucky in working in small dynamic environments in challenging situations.
My colleugues are almost without exception positive people and in my part fo teh business there is very little politics...

ConsThey are foucsed on quarterly results to plan and will take tough decisions early to ensure ongoing performance.
This is good as many companies bury their heads and take too long to make difficult decisions. But it can be hard on individuals whoa re asked to leave.
In the UK they will only pay just above the statutory minimum should you be made redunant..

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees fairly globally, we work globally, we talk global solutions, global customers therefore we should treat people equally on a global basis.

Join Johnson Controls but research carefully before signing !!!

Senior Management (Former Employee)
Coventry, England

I worked at Johnson Controls

ProsIf you relish very large global company environments then Johnson Controls is for you. The higher up the Management chain you are then the more rewarded you are. The treatment of women however is far from ideal and women in Europe hit a ceiling at mid executive level.

ConsThe lack of communications and lack of ability and capability of European HR departments is appalling. Employees at bottom end of scale tend to be overworked and underpaid but remain intensely loyal.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease look at the capabilities of your Senior executives. You seem to promote people without the necessary skills up the management hierarchy as this tends to be less stressful than placing on poor performance or just plain getting rid of. You have lots of loyal people at mid management level who are very loyal and are the workhorses of your company. Please try treating them with a little more respect and less focused on financial targets. Without your employees you are nothing.

A great company to work for long term

Business Development Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Johnson Controls

ProsGreat People, Good Leadership, Large company resources with flexible & sound business approach. I am paid well but always feel (as everyone does) they are worth more.

ConsAuto industry is a challenge in terms of customers and general market conditions. Overall not many downsides with JCI I have been here more than ten years and its better than the other 4 companies I have worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery little. One of the best aspects of this company is the Leadership. They are very capable and broad minded people with a great track record and consistancy of approach. The culture is good and whilst leadership can be misunderstood at working levels its very sound.

Very satisfied

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time

ProsGood work/life balance. Virtual employee. Working from home office.

ConsSlow to implement changes to organization

Over all a good company to work for

I have been working at Johnson Controls

ProsTo many to count or explain.

Conswork life to personal life can be tricky at times

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more involved with your lower level supervisors.

Technical Support & Services Manager

Manager New Technology (Current Employee)
Milwaukee, WI (US)

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time for less than a year

ProsWorking with a skilled team to develop customer solutions. Company gives flexible work hours.

ConsNot a lot of training presented. Need to constantly network to get to solutions.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more training. Work on collecting company wide data into common locations for multiple groups to use

Worked for Johnson Controls? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Johnson Controls reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Johnson Controls CEO Alex A. Molinaroli. All 536 reviews are posted anonymously by Johnson Controls employees.