Johnson & Johnson Reviews

3.8
1,424 Reviews

Johnson & Johnson CEO Alex Gorsky
Alex Gorsky

Pros
  • Overall work life balance is key within pretty much everyone I was in contact with (in 140 reviews)

• I was very excited to gain employment with J&J because it is a highly coveted company (in 126 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not great and we seem chronically understaffed (in 58 reviews)

• J & J has steadily gone down hill in employee satisfaction over the last 10 years (in 87 reviews)

More Highlights

A solid place to build a career

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If one is gifted at networking and can produce the goods when needed, talent is nurtured.

Cons

conservative and slow moving attitude sometimes halting creativity.

Senior leadership need to become more open to being counselled by dynamic younger talent.

The golden cage company

Current Employee - Finance Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in London, England

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay in the short term

Cons

Highly political company - old management style - you can only progress in your career in this company if you have the right connections.
    Once you hit 40 the story completely changes, you are no longer an asset but a "cost". The company went through a number of re-organisations the last few years to solve the high number of reporting lines and corresponding costs and spent fortunes on consultancy as it own people simply have no clue what to do or have not got the courage to speak up. Politics rules this company from bottom to top. Courage guys !

None, management only cares for itself and its clan.

Mostly about 'fit' rather than quality of work

Former Employee - Assistant Brand Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Brand Manager

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The salary (for a new graduate I was making well above someone at 25 out of school)
    The 'name' (I was able to quickly find a new job after I left because I had J&J on my resume)

Cons

The hours (ridiculous hours- was expected to answer emails on weekends and at funky hours of the night)
    The management (once they decided, and usually quickly, if they like your or not, you are either in for a rough or smooth ride)
    Very cliquey (This is perpetuated by my point above, you either are a JnJ'er or not and your colleagues will react appropriately)
    To my 2 points above, if you dont 'fit' expect to literally be set up to either quit or be 'asked' to leave
    Status Quo (dont question it, especially at ABM level, or you will be seen as not a good 'fit')

Great opportunities for progression, interesting work, and approachable leadership team

Current Employee - HEOR in London, England
    Current Employee - HEOR in London, England

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great breadth of areas within which to work and good opportunities to seek roles within and between sectors (consumer, pharma, medical devices & diagnostics)
    Flexible working arrangements
    Ethos of work life balance, although difficult to achieve in practice
    Approachable leadership team

Cons

IT systems are antiquated and frustrating
    High-level of mobility (especially for the 'fast track' set) can lead to shortsighted decision-making
    Silo mentality can prevail given size and politics of Organisation

Very stable, but not as innovative as they could be, which leads to frustration.

Current Employee - Senior Customer Development Manager in Maidenhead, England
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Development Manager in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great brands, relaxed culture where you can really thrive and take ownership

Cons

Lack of innovation, slow to make decisions, quite a flat structure which does not help progression

Cut out the politics, empower people more. Deliver genuine NPD for our categories

People-centred company making a difference, a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in High Wycombe, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in High Wycombe, England

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

5 days paid time to use on charity work. People and their development is at the top of the agenda. The credo lives and breathes and everyone has a voice - if they want it. A highly networked and collaborative culture with plenty of opportunities for development and career progression

Cons

Workload and some corporate bureacracy

Tackle the workload challenge

Great Company with such a diverse portfolio is hard to believe they would ever go bust

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson

Pros

Great career opportunities. Diverse product portfolio means you can move from Pharma to FMCG but stay in the same company.

Cons

Some local managers are not very supportive of talented staff

continue doing what you do!

Like being in a cult!

Former Employee - Account Manager in Maidenhead, England
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Maidenhead, England

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary was good and rapid career development was offered for those who fitted the mould.

Cons

J&J prides itself on its Credo (essentially a mission statement) and they use it to promote the idea of an ethical organisation that is centred around the employee. However it is totally disregarded by the management on a day to day basis and discussion or creativity is actively discouraged. Anybody questioning the status quo is shown the door. Just as leaders of a personality cult use mind games to control their minions, the J&J senior management would deny departmental meetings ever took place and those who dared to question any unethical action were accused of not following the Credo!

A change of culture is urgently needed at J&J, do the decent thing and bring the organisation truly in line with the Credo.

Overall positive company to work for

Current Employee - Marketing in London, England
    Current Employee - Marketing in London, England

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1. People are friendly. Positive work culture
    2. Great training ground for marketers and autonomy on big marketing initiatives
    3. Development opportunity strong and rewards performance

Cons

1. A little risk averse. Marketing campaigns are not break through vs. other companies
    2. Poor Category department. Overly reliant on marketing department, resulting in lack of focus on consumer
    3. can be internally focused.

No advice

Super exciting challenging rewarding experience

Former Employee - Acting Associate Director in Maidenhead, England
    Former Employee - Acting Associate Director in Maidenhead, England

I worked at Johnson & Johnson as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging projects. Autonomy and trust of upper management if you deliver. Great and efficient team work. Career progression available

Cons

Pay is not the best of the industry. Need to rationalize so called innovative projects